Sign in to follow this  
Jakobsson87

Oculus Rift VR headset

WalkerDown no offense but I think you are trying to sound more knowledgeable than you are by complicating things.

If you watch a 3D IMAX Movie - say Avatar - which is filmed using a 3D camera i.e. two different perspectives meant to mimic the human eye separation, you can buy these glasses which turn the image to 2D by showing your eyes just the image for say the Right Eye. You aren't going to get any sort of weird effects or feelings - you just get one perspective like you would if the camera used to film the movie just had one lens instead of two.

e9b4_2-D_glasses_diagram_embed.jpg

The 'floating screen' stuff you talk about is no different to looking at a monitor in a dark room - a monitor is a "2D image in a 3D space".

you can't really turn it off, you can only "combine" the images, and the result is much different than watching a SINGLE flat surface.

Same as 2D video goggles or watching 2D content on 3D goggles. What I'm trying to say is that the "physical 3D", as you put it, is actually done in software.

Edited by Pulverizer

WalkerDown no offense but I think you are trying to sound more knowledgeable than you are by complicating things.

It's not complicate.. it's really easy to understand, i had to use a "long" (10 rows) message because some ppl won' understand the difference of having a single "physical" image watched by 2 eyes, compared with TWO physical images each one watched by a single image. :)

If you watch a 3D IMAX Movie - say Avatar - which is filmed using a 3D camera i.e. two different perspectives meant to mimic the human eye separation, you can buy these glasses which turn the image to 2D by showing your eyes just the image for say the Right Eye. You aren't going to get any sort of weird effects or feelings - you just get one perspective like you would if the camera used to film the movie just had one lens instead of two.

Yes, you can turn off the interpolation then, having both eyes watching THE SAME single image... something that you CANNOT do using the OR because the two images are physically separated (two portions of the screen), the "odd" effect is not by watching the "3d effect", the odd effect is by two distinct images (even identical) each by each eye. If you don't understand the difference, i honestly dunno how to explain it to you with a better example. ;)

The 'floating screen' stuff you talk about is no different to looking at a monitor in a dark room - a monitor is a "2D image in a 3D space".

It's very different, it is (one of) the point(s) of how our brain perceive the "space", when you watch a REAL monitor in a dark room your ocular bulbs converges to the target: they are slightly rotated towards the center, depending of the object distance, and this "information" is passed to your brain; while using two different images in front of each eye, your ocular bulbs are PARALLEL, and this difference doesn't match with your natural sight: why the hell your bulbs are parallel (they are regulated by muscles) when the target is right in front of me? ..."thinks" your brain. ;) ..and this is the reason of the "odd" effect i described in the previous message.

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Same as 2D video goggles or watching 2D content on 3D goggles. What I'm trying to say is that the "physical 3D", as you put it, is actually done in software.

Yuppo, in fact you scroll back i invited to try a 2D google to experience the same effect (you're a little disoriented while watching into it, like the image is "floating" in the air), i personally use 2D goggle for FPV.

Yes, indeed the images (by different angles) are produced by the software and sent to each portion of screen, with "physically" i mean the eye separation, since each eye see "its own" image, so you can't really turn it off, you can only show the same image to each eye... BUT... [see the previous post]

something that you CANNOT do using the OR because the two images are physically separated

?

both eyes get nearly the same image I think. what you mean by physically separated?

interpolation could be a method, but it would be more clever and easy to use polarized light to separate two pictures in one. you only need some pvc glass to see them both then..

?

both eyes get nearly the same image I think. what you mean by physically separated?

interpolation could be a method, but it would be more clever and easy to use polarized light to separate two pictures in one. you only need some pvc glass to see them both then..

This isn't the method Occulus Rift employs. Occulus Rift, as WalkerDown says, uses separate eye images. They're displayed on one display, but the implementation is exactly the same as though they were displayed on two separate displays. Think two displays glued together if it helps :)

?

Normally (on monitors.. at cinema.. etc.) you use polarization, or any other technology to merge two images together (they will be separated by the viewer then), while Oculus Rift uses two separate images (stereoscopic), side by side, so while the first can be turned off, with the Oculus Rift you can't, you can only nullify the 3D effect, overlapping the two images (making em identically) but the result is not exactly like viewing a 2D image in real life (a monitor, a screen.. whatever), because they still two images, each per eye.

For the same reason (to expand the concept) these 3D goggle cannot give you a complete 3D feel because of two reason: the parallax is constant and your pupils are always focused to the screens in the same position (in real life your eyes moves constantly, the do micromovements to stabilize the view, they also focuses the objects at different distances).. but i guess this is what we can have with the current technology, and i'm more than satisfied with it (hopefully.. my OR didn't come yet!).

Thinking about what you can simulate with bifocul vision with the Rift in ArmA is a hell of a kicker.

Night vision monocular over one eye, looking down a scopes, switching sights from one eye to the other with the new shoulder transition...

GPU asplode of course but the stuff that this makes possible is undeniably madtastic.

It's cool but it won't give the same effect, at the day at least, again because of he distance. Normally when you aim with a optics you left the other eye open to be aware of the surrounding (this is true in the army; forget about the movies where you see ppl aiming with one eye closed!), this works in real life because your brain can concentrate on the aiming eye while the other is just survelling (movement perception), but with a monitor at the same distance i suspect it would be too distracting and you wouldn't be able to aim properly if not closing the eye. It could work at the night tho!

You're telling me stuff I already know. :)

Also, you can't concentrate on two different levels of magnification at once. Your brain just can't make sense of it. You can focus on one or the other but not both. Your brain however CAN superposition two images (Binden aiming concept), just not focus on them.

The point is regardless of whether the effect is the same or not the potential to simulate more is there.

You're telling me stuff I already know. :)

Also, you can't concentrate on two different levels of magnification at once. Your brain just can't make sense of it. You can focus on one or the other but not both. Your brain however CAN superposition two images (Binden aiming concept), just not focus on them.

The point is regardless of whether the effect is the same or not the potential to simulate more is there.

You have a predominant eye (depending of your brain), this is how you can aim with that eye while the other is aware, you don't need to have it "in focus", you only need to know what's happening around you, while the main eye is on the target.. this is possible with your eyes, with a 2D image in front of your eye at a fixed distance (2 centimeters?) is a whole different story.

However... the brain get "used of.." .. the point is that if have a certain experience (years), you can't tell your brain to operate differently in a matter of minutes, so this could works after (several) years, not right out of the box. Yes it's attractive, and let you dream on what we will exprience in the future.. but it's not that the Oculus Rift is going to change the physics of the universe, it's just a step in the right direction! :)

However... the brain get "used of.." .. the point is that if have a certain experience (years), you can't tell your brain to operate differently in a matter of minutes, so this could works after (several) years, not right out of the box. Yes it's attractive, and let you dream on what we will exprience in the future.. but it's not that the Oculus Rift is going to change the physics of the universe, it's just a step in the right direction! :)

Making stuff up is not a good social habit friend. Just saying.

Also, don't mess with extraocular muscles. There are medical conditions for nonstandard binocular vision and none of them are "attractive".

I'm looking into getting the Oculus Rift, but I don't think it will work that well with ARMA, I watched a video of someone playing TF2 and they talked about it being difficult to remember where the keys are. In ARMA every key is important so playing the game with Oculus Rift would take some getting used to.

I'm looking into getting the Oculus Rift, but I don't think it will work that well with ARMA, I watched a video of someone playing TF2 and they talked about it being difficult to remember where the keys are. In ARMA every key is important so playing the game with Oculus Rift would take some getting used to.

Still be okay for me, ditched keyboard in favour of controller in left hand and mouse with a load of buttons in other. I get full analogue movement speeds and only ever need keys for chat message or issuing orders to units.

The second I can get rid of with vioce recognition software, possibly the chat too.

My only concern with the Rift is long term comfort.

Still be okay for me, ditched keyboard in favour of controller in left hand and mouse with a load of buttons in other. I get full analogue movement speeds and only ever need keys for chat message or issuing orders to units.

The second I can get rid of with vioce recognition software, possibly the chat too.

My only concern with the Rift is long term comfort.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but do you already have the Rift devkit?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but do you already have the Rift devkit?

Nope, considered it but decided to wait out till the better resolution release version.

You'd probably become a very good marathon runner if you had this in ArmA III.

Yes, this is where it's heading and I think it's a good thing since now all computer nerds will also become atletes ;)

Would love to see support of Omni and Rift in ArmA III all thats needed to fix is the stance thing but a few simple IR sensors on the Omni's frame copuld solve that!

/KC

well, I just got my Oculus Rift headset....no I am not a developer... I just love gadgets.. It is a very nice piece of kit and there are already rumours of a Rev 2 of the headset prior to the commercial version. I will keep an eye out for that too...

Would be nice to test on Arma3, maybe for the REV2 if the resolution is higher. From a long-time Trackir user I find the tracking is superb. Very weird though looking at yourself in VR.

It will take a little to get used to due to motion sickness but I feel this is a step in the right direction.

I also have a Sony HMZT-1 and the Oculus is a lot more comfortable. I tried the HMZT-1 with Trackir in Arma2...I never could get used to the comfort.

Let see what the future brings...

p.s... I have got arma2 roughed in.... still needs a few tweaks.... but it is bloody fantastic.

I used Facetracknoir and Vireio Perception to get it to work.. only directx 9 capable at the moment...

Edited by gonk

well, I just got my Oculus Rift headset....no I am not a developer... I just love gadgets.. It is a very nice piece of kit and there are already rumours of a Rev 2 of the headset prior to the commercial version. I will keep an eye out for that too...

Would be nice to test on Arma3, maybe for the REV2 if the resolution is higher. From a long-time Trackir user I find the tracking is superb. Very weird though looking at yourself in VR.

It will take a little to get used to due to motion sickness but I feel this is a step in the right direction.

I also have a Sony HMZT-1 and the Oculus is a lot more comfortable. I tried the HMZT-1 with Trackir in Arma2...I never could get used to the comfort.

Let see what the future brings...

p.s... I have got arma2 roughed in.... still needs a few tweaks.... but it is bloody fantastic.

I used Facetracknoir and Vireio Perception to get it to work.. only directx 9 capable at the moment...

What's the display panel quality like? Are the colours good? Any ghosting or anything like that?

Excellent gonk ... you can now be our guinea pig !!!!

Keep telling BIS how wonderful they are !!!!

Of course uploading a video with it working wouldn't prolly show much. Just be good to see how jealous we become !

Flying the chopper, I have hotas... so I don't need no keyboard.. :)...

Two main items need improving and it will be a must have peripheral. 1. The resolution is 640 x 800 per eye... tad too low for today's games... and the fly screen effect due to the eye distance to the screen. Version 2 should improve both of these.

Oculus Rift is bullshit, sorry for my language , but it is. let me tell you pros and cons.

Pros : looks cool , different expierence.

Cons : gimmicky, very very bad for eyes, after long time eyes being 1 inch away from screen you can get eye cancer go blind or just ultra bad eye sight. head gets tired after a while. and most important reaction time is slower than using mouse. so if you go 1v1 in deathmatch you will always lose to players who use mouse. and again i repeat its bullshit gimmick virtual boy.

Oculus Rift is bullshit, sorry for my language , but it is. let me tell you pros and cons.

Pros : looks cool , different expierence.

Cons : gimmicky, very very bad for eyes, after long time eyes being 1 inch away from screen you can get eye cancer go blind or just ultra bad eye sight. head gets tired after a while. and most important reaction time is slower than using mouse. so if you go 1v1 in deathmatch you will always lose to players who use mouse. and again i repeat its bullshit gimmick virtual boy.

And the sasquatch is real.

If its not too rude, how much did it cost ?

:)