Sign in to follow this  
Jakobsson87

Oculus Rift VR headset

To be honestly blunt, I don't want "sluggish" folks input to be considered. It's about choice, right?

It looks like, you don't want capable people to even have this opportunity, just because you can't play without looking at keyboard.

Think about it.

...when you go to ironsights you close your left eye to get a down-the-rifle view when you need it.

I've tried explaining this before but not a lot of people can see it.

From my experience with ARMA in stereo3d: This is actually the main problem

In real life your eyes converge and diverge when you look at things close or far away.

With 3d games this cannot be done so for example if you are in a cockpit or vehicle you would see the landscape in beautiful 3d depth but try to focus on the instruments and you will have double vision (or you turn down the interaxial(interoccular) distance which reduces the 3d effect)

Closing one eye is a solution but not very good considering the extra cost of 3d (including the extra render power needed)

Don't get me wrong... I would LOVE to play ARMA in 3d with headtracking but it would need some serious thought and implementation by BIS to make it work.

In real life your eyes converge and diverge when you look at things close or far away.

With 3d games this cannot be done so for example if you are in a cockpit or vehicle you would see the landscape in beautiful 3d depth but try to focus on the instruments and you will have double vision (or you turn down the interaxial(interoccular) distance which reduces the 3d effect)

Closing one eye is a solution but not very good considering the extra cost of 3d (including the extra render power needed)

Don't get me wrong... I would LOVE to play ARMA in 3d with headtracking but it would need some serious thought and implementation by BIS to make it work.

I still play Arma2 in stereo 3D, and it is true that the image can double up when looking down the sight but I have set a couple of NumPad buttons to instantly change the seperation and convergence amounts instantly. It's also possible to set it so when you press, ie, the right mouse button to ADS the seperation changes automatically.

As for you saying about your eyes converging and diverging IRL, of course that's also possible with S3D games, otherwise there would be no point to it. Of course it would depend how far "out of the screen" you set things like the HUD or instruments but you'd still have the depth "into the screen". A lot of people only see 3D as meaning stuff comes out of the screen at you, which when it does it looks great but just as much of the greatness comes from the visuals in the screen.

P.S Bohemia, the only things that Arma2 isn't perfect at using 3D vision are the sights (as mentioned above) and the shadows set to High or Very High because they are, assumingly post processed and at the wrong depth. It's fine set to Normal though :)

You've snipped my post so the context is not obvious, and I believe you've possibly misunderstood something... when you bring a weapon up to ironsight IRL you close one eye to see down the ironsight. It's not a "solution" but simply what you do. Likewise in ArmA in 3D you need to do this also. You cannot have a weapon up in ironsights in 3D and expect to have a useful weapon, you need to close one eye.

you need to close one eye.

You do NOT have to close one eye to shoot with peep sight, open sight or red dot sights, or even magnifying optics IRL. At least not if you aim with your dominant eye. Both eyes are kept open to prevent unneccessary fatigue to your dominant eye, allowing you to stay accurate longer. It may take a little time to learn depending on person.

Ever wonder why competitive shooters often wear eye-patches? To make aiming through magnifying optics easier with both eyes open.

You do NOT have to close one eye to shoot with peep sight, open sight or red dot sights, or even magnifying optics IRL. At least not if you aim with your dominant eye. Both eyes are kept open to prevent unneccessary fatigue to your dominant eye, allowing you to stay accurate longer. It may take a little time to learn depending on person.

Ever wonder why competitive shooters often wear eye-patches? To make aiming through magnifying optics easier with both eyes open.

Well OK, you CAN keep both eyes open if you wish, I would say normal use is to close one eye.

But regardless, one eye (normally your right) has to be lined up correctly yes? The weapon should not be aligned with your nose.

It's normal for civilians, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't taught in military training all over the world not to do it.

And in the game context, the sights should be aligned with the right hand view port as they are in 2D obviously, not between them. Optimally the game should feature left handed animations for people with dominant left eye but that's asking a bit much.

Edited by Pulverizer

You've snipped my post so the context is not obvious, and I believe you've possibly misunderstood something... when you bring a weapon up to ironsight IRL you close one eye to see down the ironsight. It's not a "solution" but simply what you do. Likewise in ArmA in 3D you need to do this also. You cannot have a weapon up in ironsights in 3D and expect to have a useful weapon, you need to close one eye.

Hmm, in my experience , going tactical with hand guns, particularly a CQB situation, you'd never close an eye. your too busy watching targets and focusing on the situation. The double image of your sights is just something you train to deal with. It's a relatively simple technique but for some impossible to master.

But you are right though, it needs to adjustable. Centering on the nose would be really off putting.

Please, please Bohemia Interactive ,

YOU HAVE ENOUGH FINANCIAL RESOURCES(Combined Operations is always in Top10-Steam)

YOU HAVE ALL THE TIME YOU WANT,

PLEASE add full compatibility for Occulus Rift

Edited by Jake_Krieger

And in the game context, the sights should be aligned with the right hand view port as they are in 2D obviously, not between them. Optimally the game should feature left handed animations for people with dominant left eye but that's asking a bit much.

Exactly. My experience of other 3D drivers has always the eyes both moved equidistantly from center, only one single driver had the option to move each eye separately. IO this is an essential feature.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Hmm, in my experience , going tactical with hand guns, particularly a CQB situation, you'd never close an eye. your too busy watching targets and focusing on the situation. The double image of your sights is just something you train to deal with. It's a relatively simple technique but for some impossible to master.

But you are right though, it needs to adjustable. Centering on the nose would be really off putting.

I might have thught that mentioning closing an eye would be the thing people home in on ;) but that was just an obvious example for the idea I was trying to push. In CQB situations, you will have both eyes yes. You might close one eye in any specific situation where you suddenly need to concentrate on the ironsight - but that's entirely by-the-by. Even in a both-eyes-open ironsight situation, I think we can ALL agree that the ironsight needs to line up with one of your eyes.

i don't care... But wait i do care. When devs will decide to work on this, it will delay arma 3 release even further. I'm not planing to get stuff like this, do i need it? Absolutely not!

i don't care... But wait i do care. When devs will decide to work on this, it will delay arma 3 release even further. I'm not planing to get stuff like this, do i need it? Absolutely not!

Oh listen, nobody else really gives a fuck about what YOU want/afford to buy. Don't want it, don't buy it and move along.

Delaying ArmA3 is the least of concerns

From oculusvr

Integrating the Oculus Rift also requires gameplay changes. Without proper game design changes like Oculus head-tracking, the virtual reality experience will not be compelling.
- doubt that BIS is going to risk their A3 game developments and profits for an device that is not available yet (for all "at a price that everyone can afford").
The Oculus SDK will be available as soon as the developer kits ship (estimated April, 2013).
- guess no one does think that BIS will be able to understand and integrate all the Oculus Rift VR things properly within few days/weeks. It could be interesting to see for how long how many people will like to use such a eye/divers mask.

From oculusvr - doubt that BIS is going to risk their A3 game developments and profits for an device that is not available yet (for all "at a price that everyone can afford"). - guess no one does think that BIS will be able to understand and integrate all the Oculus Rift VR things properly within few days/weeks. It could be interesting to see for how long how many people will like to use such a eye/divers mask.

With all the experience they have with TIR, I doubt that would be a huge prorblem on the head-tracking part, real problem is the video part through, but that is more about creating proper eye relief, proper display desertion for the google to work, as well as how to make sure that FPS won't sucks.

Oh listen, nobody else really gives a fuck about what YOU want/afford to buy. Don't want it, don't buy it and move along.

Delaying ArmA3 is the least of concerns

u mad, bro?

Screw Oculus Rift support from the get-go. I'd rather see it being added after the game is released.

Screw Oculus Rift support from the get-go. I'd rather see it being added after the game is released.

exactly, there's nothing preventing BIS from adding support for it after release with patching.

Alright lads

we stop the personal attacks and trolling here and now. If any of you has nothing constructive to add to the thread, then leave it instead spamming the thread with nonsense like "logged in just to report you" or "u mad bro".

Logged in just to report you...

Then take your conversation to PM and stop spamming the topic, please.

Lol. I love a lively forum :)

Not sure if u guys have heard about Leap Motion? Its like Kinect, but 100 times more accurate... Check out the video in my next post

I think this device, when combined with the oculus rift, will revolutionise our idea of interfaces. Think about what the iPad did with its touch interface, remove the touch but replace it with the ability to see objects in front of you which can be manipulated. There are already developers working with oculus and leap tech to create virtual input devices like keyboards... But. Think what you could do in Arma 3 with oculus and rift combined... You are sat in a car with a wheel and gear shift in front of you. But now you can reach out and grab the controls and drive and as the movements are via a steering wheel it automatically benefits from analogue input. Forget keyboards and mice. In the video leap also demonstrated first person shooter controls.

If these technologies combine successfully then we won't need to take the mask off to do what we want... The only thing lacking at this stage is the tactility we get from real input devices

Leap Motion does look quite impressive, especially for a $70 device. But I don't really see the advantage in an Arma3 like game. Is there really anyone who wishes to get rid of keyboard+mouse controls? There's nothing wrong with them, unless you compare them to a super expensive virtual reality projector setup where you aim with an actual rifle in your hands or something crazy like that.

Besides, 8 cubic feet is not enough to sense your legs. How do you suggest you move forward, make the walk with your index and middle finger on the mouse pad? :P

Edited by Pulverizer

It's normal for civilians, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't taught in military training all over the world not to do it.

A

No, it is not. We use the G36 and it uses a build in scope with 3x magification. Standard procedure to use the scope is to close the left eye, if you cant for soem reason youre tols to use a eyepatch. having 3x zomm one one eye and normal view on the other is higfhlöy disorienting. You can use both eyes onyl with holographic sights that have no magnification. Humans in RL are limited and videogames tell us wrong things a lot in this context. Enlisting to an army does not give you special magic perception powers and does not make you a camelion. Edited by Beagle

Yeah I suppose with magnifying optics it's only really useful for competetive shooting. That's why I only mentioned them as a side note, to be within the realm of possible. In finnish military service it is taught to keep both eyes open and we have a diopter type peep sight on the assault rifle. I can only imagine it being easier with open and holographic sights.