Sign in to follow this  
=kct=blackmamba

way to download more satallite images with universal maps downloader.

i found a way to download more satallite images using universal maps downloader bevore your ip gets banned for 24 hours.

it is very simple, and i tried it several times now with the same outcome: wich is me downloading up to 45.000 image parts at once.

this means u can download a complete satallite image of virtualy any size in just one day.

only thing u have to do when u start universal maps downloader is go to this page :

http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

go to your projects area and leave it opened while downloading.

normaly after 10.000 image parts your ip gets banned for 24 hours, but now it just go's on and on.

i tried this for several times, (i couldnt make up my mind wat my next project might be).

but every time u do it like this i get the whole image at once instead of only 7000 to 10.000 images.

hope this is usefull to some of u, good luck.

[edit]

today i downloaded a satallite map of 22.620 tiles on zoom level 17 100% done.

so as we speak im downloading the same satallite image @ zoom level 18 = 89590 tiles,

right now over 25.000 downloaded and still running :)

Edited by =KCT=BlackMamba

While I was using UMD myself at times I created my tutorial, I nowadays only use Global Mapper, as it allows you to download layers just the exact size of the map and you can export them just fitting on the square you defined, projected in UTM and automatically stitched together. Furthermore, there are far more layers accessible on the web than UMD allows you. Just look for WMS/TMS layers on google and you will find lots of data for your area which can be easily added to Global Mapper.

For satellite images, I use "World Imagery" provided by ESRI (without watermark ofc) but in general I think that it is not a too good idea to use high detail satmaps at all, as you can never recreate the detail displayed on the image (expect for large landscapes without buildings maybe). It might look good at height but silly on the ground. Detail level as on Chernarus satmap is enough.

What I know find quite useful is "World Topographic Map", as the terrain features there are represented in one color and not so detailed like on satellite images, which means you can easily separate them and fill them with (Chernarus/Takistan)-textures as satmask or with colors for texture mask.

Edited by ZeroG

for a small terrain the world imagery is usefull, but with a bigger terrain size u run into trouble realy fast.

as u encounter issue's like different tiles from different seasons/years in your downloaded sat image.

i must admit it does give u a 100% fit on your terrain wich is realy a +

but i ran in this issue myself for atleast a few times with world imagery.

apart from that u cant download such high resolution with Global mapper.

all other stuff in Global mapper is amazing i use it allot myself but this is just my two cents.

Doesn't UMD rely on GPS coordinates? So, whatever coords you're using in UMD would correspond to Global Mapper? Or am I getting this all wrong in my mind?

yes.

u download your hight data here : http://gdex.cr.usgs.gov/gdex/

there u get your hight data and coords those coords u put into universal maps downloader to download satallite image.

Global mapper only needs the .tiff file, coord info is embedded in the .tiff file.

[edit]

over 66.000 satallite tiles downloaded today.

Edited by =KCT=BlackMamba

If you want to get geo-referenced images of any zoom level, with the GPS stuff in the file, use this program: http://www.zubak.sk/TerraIncognita/ Global mapper can import OziExplorer data. When downloading the image, just select an area bigger than what you think you need, and use global explorer to export both the .xyz and a .png. Best of all, Terra Incognita is free!

Yeah, indeed, saw that season difference with BING maps...but useful to determine where conifers are located in RL :)