Sign in to follow this  
Sonny_Boy

OA Army Texture Project

US Army Texture Project

ArmyTexOverhaul_zps978940b4.jpg

Hey all, this is the beginning of the OA Army Texture Project. This project will (hopefully) cover all of the US Army in OA, Including vehicles but excluding weapons. I've had this idea on my chest for awhile and i'm happy to finally create it. I served for the Marines but since the vanilla USMC models are "less than modern" i'm stuck with the Army. The whole concept is to make the OA -VANILLA- units more modern. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is welcome to help :). I have had a lot of inspiration from most if not all the addon makers of this community. Anyway thanks for reading my post and hope you like the idea.

The features will include:

- Combat Shirt

- Updated Textures

- Realistic Patches ( Not to realistic, we still want some freedom to create) ;)

- Units to be proud of, and units that you will use more!

I will be taking the community's ideas as the project goes on.

I want this project to really bring people's ideas together and encourage more people to make addons, this could also serve as a "tutorial".

Link to my photobucket library for this project. http://s1306.beta.photobucket.com/user/skeekoman/library/ArmA2%20OA%20Army%20Tex%20Overhaul

Teaser -

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s569/skeekoman/ArmA2%20OA%20Army%20Tex%20Overhaul/MoreAuthenticLook_zps08b01e7e.png (673 kB)

Edited by skeeko1337

Interesting.. I like the small little changes like the pit stains. Keep up the good work!

The textures look great but there are 3 little things i have noticed and i know how the uniform should be, i wear it every day.

First, the flag patch. When you are on deployment you would never wear the flag patch in full color, you would wear the subdued, acu, desert or multicam versions.

Second, the color of the moisture wicking body section of the combat shirt is more of a foliage green not desert tan, only our undershirts are tan and well to be honest we can wear a foliage green undershirt too so thats not necasserily true either lol,

Third, i would retexture the camelbacks with the correct logo, plus you would very rarely wear solid black as it stands out too much, nothing in nature is truly black!

Once again, i think your textures look great but i just wanted to give you some help.

The U.S. Army doesn't use that grey crap anymore. Or I should say U.S. Army combat roles don't use that grey crap anymore.

The U.S. Army doesn't use that grey crap anymore. Or I should say U.S. Army combat roles don't use that grey crap anymore.

Soon to be barracks too, US4CES is replacing it, i think Transitional CES is being used for Barracks dress.

Nice idea mate.

Those combat shirt textures need to be extended down to the un-tucked part of the shirt as well, which is unfortunately on the majority of the models, I scrapped the Combat shirt for the OCP retextures because of the un-tucked shirts, but you might like it.

Looking forward to more mate.

Another idea..

That would be pretty cool to see some units with the KDH tac-1 vest. A lot of US Army combat personel already are using this plate carrier in afghanistan.

52311546big.jpg

either way, if you decide to try and model this or not im happy and satisfied with the units you are making already. im kinda getting bored of the standard vanilla us army units..good luck with your project!

This looks good, the only thing I'd say is to make the full-color flags subdued. U.S. Army stopped using full-color flags in the field a while ago; replaced them with subdued infrared flags, around 2006/2007-ish. Anyway, keep up the great work. :)

Edited by Laqueesha

Very nice! I avoided the US Army because of the SCARS and the look, but these look very nice :D

They looks good, but as a few pointed out, the army has transitioned to multicam in the field, not sure about garrison wear since I ETSed last spring. And yeah, full color flags are not worn in combat, only subdued/IR flags. And as others have pointed out, no solid black camelbacks. Army only issues ACU/Multicam ones. The one thing I REALLY disliked about the BIS units was the fact that some of the units had no ACU jacket, they just wore their undershirt, which yes I've seen in videos and such in real life, but since the introduction of the combat shirts, there's no way that guys go rolling around in a T-Shirt and IOTV. But since you're doing a retexture, i guess there's nothing you can do about that. If you are changing stuff about units...that would be a recommendation...and maybe put some more pouches on the units...the vests kinda look a little bare. But looks good so far, keep up the good work

Ya definately more pouches on units, especially rifleman units because they seem to be pretty bare. another idea is to put rhino nvg arms on some units' helmets, aswell as counter-weight or IR distress marker strobe and surefire helmet lights, also to change backpack colors to match the uniform (ACU/UCP or multicam)

Rhino Arm on his helmet

an_american_soldier.jpg

Hey all,

Thanks for all the replies, I am happy to say that I am considering making this into a full mod and not just a reskin. I don't want this to just disappear and never get released like a lot of the others so I'm using every second of my free-time on this to get it out. Also I'm making the changes you guys recomended! I first want to finish the texture part then move on to the other things. Another thing is I need a lot of help with bringing the characters in-game. I currently have to replace the original game textures and hate doing such. I have no real update so sorry :/ I am actually writing this as I work on the textures.

:cheers:

- Skeeko

P.S. I'm glad to see daveygary back from his deployment safe and sound. Welcome back!

Edited by skeeko1337

thanks its good to be back, oh and if you want to use the rhino, surefire cans and shades i have a mod out until something can be made that works with the bi us army models, its my ess eyepro addon it can be found here (sorry for posting something on your thread)

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22828360/ess_tactical_sunglasses.rar

no, they are us army issue FRACU's (Fire Resistant Army Combat Uniform) that's just a tab to identify this. this is the uniform that is issued upon deployment (the shirt is being replaced by the Army Combat Shirt). The trousers have the same tab on the left cargo pocket flap.

Edited by daveygary1979
typo

no, they are us army issue FRACU's (Fire Resistant Army Combat Uniform) that's just a tab to identify this. this is the uniform that is issued upon deployment (the shirt is being replaced by the Army Combat Shirt). The trousers have the same tab on the left cargo pocket flap.

Okay, I see. Thanks for the info. ;)

Really sorry, I just had to!

an_american_soldier.jpg

Anyway, I worked the textures up a little so now it's improving.

Pics:

A_lot_of_change1.jpg

A_lot_of_change2.jpg

A_lot_of_change3.jpg

In my mind they look brand spankin' new and I hope to get them out soon.

:)

- Skeeko

Wonder how good they look in first person on your soldier's body

They certainly look more like real US soldiers and not "what-if" BIS ones

jf you end up modding the entire units my ideas are:

1. Camelbak or stuff on the backs of regular rifleman units

2. Maybe IR distress beacons on the helmets of teamleaders/squadleaders

3. eye pro for most, if not all units

4. i dont know if its possible but when AT soldiers carry rocket launchers, they look straight up and down on their backs. my idea is to have them kind of at a slant to make it look like they are slung over the soldier's shoulder instead of surgically attached.

5. pants that are more baggy looking

6. vests to look a tiny bit more bulkier

7. more pouches.

For example, look at some of these guys.

http://www.militarynewsnetwork.com/militarynews/june1810a.jpg (1083 kB)

I am really excited to see how these units turn out! keep up the good work!

Edited by Silv3rback

He can't change the models, they are the BIS ones