Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 100409 (1.62 MP compatible build, post 1.62 release)

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

mirror :

+ multiple crash cases resolved (thanks to all who reported)

[100296] Fixed: MP: Player head movement using numpad keys was not visible to other players.

[100257] Fixed: ballisticsComputer uses wrong velocity (https://dev-heaven.net/issues/6823)

+ some beta regressions fixed, shall hotfix some of the often crashes of client/server seen in past weeks

+ possible slight performance increase when using BE filters

suggested to be used for server hosting as it shall be noticeably stabler

(if you still get any crashes, it's very important for us to get server's mdmp,bidmp,rpt files

(compressed e.g. to my email (which is my BIForum nickname @ bistudio.com)with subject CRASH)

BattlEye compatibility: ... SUPPORTED, enjoy ! ...

note: also deployed on STEAM! (inside "test" branch, default beta is 100296)

+++

Data fixes and improvements by the Community Config Project (CCP)

Changelog: https://dev-heaven.net/versions/1391

More info: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?141732-ARMA-2-Community-Configuration-Project-(A2CCP)

Edited by Dwarden

"Test" branch, eh? ;)

So what is being tested compared to a usual non-"test"-branch beta? :D

nothing, it's just not yet defined as more stable branch ..

Probably because a lot of people are using betas now for normal playing, but don't realize that betas can have unforseen consequences and are in a way actually MEANT to break (so you can see and fix the problem before it goes into the final). So it is better to mark this beta as "Warning: not so stable" than just shove it out and get hammered by a lot of people who suddenly experience problems then hadn't with the beta before.

And it's probably a hell of an effort to revert to an earlier beta if you are stuck with Steam (I don't use it, but I always hear bad things about it, and I have no intention of finding out myself if they are true^^).

Thanks for regular patches BI. While many devs don't support products that are 2-3 years old you keep your support and manage to release patches weekly or monthly. Unlike many beta patches, most of your releases have huge impact and always bring some good stuff.

The last BETA is very nice, improved some performance and speed up server ping times as well as solved several glitches.

How about sharing at least some of this BETA love with A2 vanilla in 1.12 or specially for those using A2 Free who no doubt eventually buy the game? :)

Thanks for regular patches BI. While many devs don't support products that are 2-3 years old you keep your support and manage to release patches weekly or monthly. Unlike many beta patches, most of your releases have huge impact and always bring some good stuff.

The last BETA is very nice, improved some performance and speed up server ping times as well as solved several glitches.

How about sharing at least some of this BETA love with A2 vanilla in 1.12 or specially for those using A2 Free who no doubt eventually buy the game? :)

Crytek dropped support for Crysis 2 after 3 months

This is why I love BIS and support them they really do look after the comunity and listen to us.

Its been many many years since ARMA2 was released and yet they still kick out patches this is very impressive and worthy of a reward :)

tbh I think we wouldn´t see that much updates if it wasn´t for DayZ :p

(now they´re in the comfortable situation to combine business with pleasure ;))

Edited by @ST

Lol, I'm not surprised there...

Wrong tbh with arma 1 they was knocking out patches well after it was released.

DayZ has an influance I am sure but I am sure even with out DayZ BIS would be patching ARMA2

Don't forget that the engine is a continuous development from OFP to Arma3, and a lot of logic keeps being ported over and over. Any bug you squish now won't bother you later. So this beta is a direct help for two certain Greece-tourists when they are finally released in 2053 to resume work on Arma 17. You have to think long-term.

Don't forget that the engine is a continuous development from OFP to Arma3, and a lot of logic keeps being ported over and over. Any bug you squish now won't bother you later. So this beta is a direct help for two certain Greece-tourists when they are finally released in 2053 to resume work on Arma 17. You have to think long-term.

By 2053 we wont play games but strugle for our real survival. There's your war game and that it needs patching :D

As for the patches, last for A1 was released in 2011 :)

Coincidentally, I just finished the Crysis 2 campaign on Veteran for the first time last Thursday! (Sorry for off-topic post). Hardly any bugs other than occasional AI malfunctions. There wasn't much need for patches after they worked out initial major bugs (e.g. MP) and DX11 support early on, typical for linear shooters. Haven't checked out C2 mods and editor yet, but they do exist. It's maddening that there is no prone posture in C2, just crouch! Not enough buttons on the stinkin' Xbox controller I guess (I played on PC). Perhaps A3 will have the lethal Gauss rifle and K-Volt! ;)

Coincidentally, I just finished the Crysis 2 campaign on Veteran for the first time last Thursday! (Sorry for off-topic post). Hardly any bugs other than occasional AI malfunctions. There wasn't much need for patches after they worked out initial major bugs (e.g. MP) and DX11 support early on, typical for linear shooters. Haven't checked out C2 mods and editor yet, but they do exist. It's maddening that there is no prone posture in C2, just crouch! Not enough buttons on the stinkin' Xbox controller I guess (I played on PC). Perhaps A3 will have the lethal Gauss rifle and K-Volt! ;)

*cough* Mod support/ Source code *cough*

Keep ArmA PC only and you won't need to ruin the game so it can run on consoles, like Crytek did. But back on topic, I've had no problems with this beta so far.

Sorry for off-topic too :

Let's say that ArmA is lucky to be unique in its category :)

actually sometimes, console port benefits the PC game too

for example ARMA 1 and ARMA 2 seen benefits learned from OFP:Elite for XBOX 1 development

if You look on War Thunder (stability, performance wise (60fps all the time)) it shows the evolution of Wings of Prey due to Birds of Steel (XBOX360/PS3 title) ...

when engine is properly optimized/transferred to strict platforms as console are, quite often are found / used solutions which will in the end benefit next PC title

so claiming that CryEngine 3 is worse than CryEngine 2 due to console 'related' development is wrong, it might be worse due to dumb-it-down process related to target masses

actually sometimes, console port benefits the PC game too

for example ARMA 1 and ARMA 2 seen benefits learned from OFP:Elite for XBOX 1 development

if You look on War Thunder (stability, performance wise (60fps all the time)) it shows the evolution of Wings of Prey due to Birds of Steel (XBOX360/PS3 title) ...

when engine is properly optimized/transferred to strict platforms as console are, quite often are found / used solutions which will in the end benefit next PC title

so claiming that CryEngine 3 is worse than CryEngine 2 due to console 'related' development is wrong, it might be worse due to dumb-it-down process related to target masses

Agreed. And would like to add that console ports not only help simplify game engine (to run smoother and more stable) but those ports help fund developers even more. However console ports don't come free and will almost always take out most of the game engines functionality. IMHO the main reason why ArmA Series were never released for (and hopefully never will be) consoles is to maintain the wide functionality ArmA engine can bring, such as mods (just look at how many great mods are out there, amazing!)

It's not that hard to port a game to a different OS/Device. I use cross-platforming for my apps and games (http://www.phonegap.com/) but with games like ArmA 2, functionality should always stay primary and audio/video design secondary.

so claiming that CryEngine 3 is worse than CryEngine 2 due to console 'related' development is wrong

Who said that? Reviews of CryEngine 3 SDK? Weren't CryEngine 2 Xbox sales necessary to support CryEngine 3 development? It's sad, though, that prone was eliminated from C2. The original Crysis had it. Maybe it will come back for C3, at least for PC version (dream on). But it's hard to shoot a bow and arrow from prone position! ;)

http://uk.gamespot.com/crysis-3/videos/crysis-3-7-wonders-episode-2-the-hunt-trailer-6401779/

I used to think that Crysis 1 was hard on my PC until I installed A2. I think that engine optimization, in part for consoles, helped C2 run better than C1. I can run C2 on Ultra settings at 60 fps most of the time (vsync, DX10, 1680x1050).

C1 is a lot better than C2 when it comes to the result ! and besides the setting is not the same ,one is running on an island with quite long view distance while the other is running on a closed urban map !

Yes, I liked C1 much better myself. More sandboxy, which could be partially responsible for the increased system strain. Warhead was REALLY awesome as well. Top notch.

It's nice that we have no A2OA beta issues to report!

it's not current anymore anyway, so what. ;)

Console <-> PC porting is technically interesting and can have benefits, but too often it means that it is not done properly because money is the limiting factor, so either one or both versions suffer from it. When I have to play a console port on PC, I often get the same user interface, which is perfect for gamepads but bad for keyboard+mouse, and I have to suffer from the low res textures. The consoles are old and can't handle more, but the PC version won't deliver as much as the PC can handle just because the developers were not funded for it. That is not lazyiness, they work for money, and when the boss says "no mo' moneh" they have to come out with these half-assed console ports. I'm quite sure that is not a satisfying feeling at all for those devs.

Lately the situation improved because the PC is now so far advanced in contrast to PS3 and XBOX360 that at least the content MUST be adjusted in order not to get bad ratings due to poor graphics. And if there is some substantial investment into the porting procedure, then the user interface might get some attention, too. I wonder how the quality of ports develops when the the next gen consoles are out. Might actually worsen again, because they will have a modern feature level but be quite underpowered already (rumors put the graphics somewhere near low mainstream cards which probably noone here uses).

Edited by Brainbug