Sign in to follow this  
daringd

My road smoothing and planning fiasco... advice.

So, I have placed all of my roads, thinking that I was doing quite well until I realised that I can not smooth them as I wanted to, now I am wishing I had gone down the roadpainter route and used the smoothing tools inside of that to get everything working as I want.

I'm thinking there is no way to import my roads into road painter now I have laid them in V3, if I am wrong, I would love someone to tell me how I could do this.

I'm at a point where I am realising that starting over in road painter might be faster than trying to sort it all out by hand in L3DT.

.DaringD.

I had the same issue with my map. Layed out most of the roads then realized the road smoothing script sucks and doesn't really do much.

I had created my map in l3dt so what I did was smooth it out there then imported the terrain with the xyz file.

Well I'm just smoothing now, it takes time and some sort of 'skill' doing road smoothing with L3DT, though I say skill, I mean mental defect! We must be mad, next time, I'm giving road painter a bash for certain.

One thing I will say is that I took a walk around Chernarus last night to have a look at the terrain there with a now, more sceptical eye, and noticed that it really is not much better than my first attempts at manual smoothing, ground clutter and forest will hide a lot of mistakes and bad areas that can't be dealt with otherwise, and even taking a walk around my local (real) area, I realised just how shabby the levelling in real life is too, so I'm no longer so worried about my L3DT work.

Lol I did the sane thing looking at my local surroundings. It's funny how I have a much skeptical eye know.

In l3dt I used the bulldozer tool a lot to level the terrain then smoothed out the sides and any area where the road would raise or lower.

It's nice that visitor imports xyz files. Now that I've got the hang of it it's fairly quick to make changes and import them back in.

yup, same thing I'm doing, it takes some time and now I'm happy that my handy work is no worse than real road builders, I'm quite happy to continue, the only trouble I'm having now is a part of the town that sits along a river, so I'm trying to figure out how to edge off the town bits into what is no essentially sea, without much room for a bank, I think I might lower the terrain and then sort of tidy it up with objects that mimic a nice concrete edging. How big is your map, just out of interest? (terrain size, cell size etc...)

Daring

It's 1024x1024 by 8 meter cells. Its modeled after grand manan an island off the coast of maine,us. I went the hard way and pieced it together with hi-res photoshop images the convert to greyscale and invert(before I fully understood global mapper).

Then I used l3dt and made the terrain myself. Which I think is more interesting the the actual islands terrain which is fairly flat. So the actual shape is the same but the heights are my own. Then I have two islands to the south which house a military post and a navel port. To the north I have a small cluster of island one of which is a small volcano.

It's coming together nicely now after I got used to the wierd setup of visitor 3. It seems like it was just thrown together.

I first tried a 2024 x 10 meter then a 1024 x 10 but they are like every one said "just to big to finish"

It would take forever to get done. So the 1024x8 makes my island like 6400 meters by 4000 at the longest and widest spots. Then the rest is ocean

Yeah... probably more sensible than me, most of my frustration is of my own doing, since I have confidence in my patience (sort of) I just opted for the sink or swim approach and went with a 2048x 2048 terrain, based on real terrain of various world places stitched together, 7.5m cell size and a total size of just over 15.5km square, which i believe is the same as chernarus. It's a land mass comprised of four smaller islands very close together, with a few minor islands of the north west and east coasts, though nearly everyone I tell this to thinks I'm mental, I have the approach of "why rent when you can buy?" in that I will make all the same mistakes no matter how big the map is, and I'd rather just go in for the big win right off the start line. In the last 24 hours I think I have got my roads sorted out in terms of terrain, now I'm taking a break from all that and going back to re touching my sat map and layers, and also, adding a few more roads etc... I figure once the terrain side of things is done, I'll get it all compiled and let a few people have a look so far, that's still a way off though, then I can sort of work on starting to add artificial objects, and at the same time begin compiling a list of things I need to fix with the terrain it's self. I kind of like the stress of this though, I guess the end result is a reflection of my hard work and other people's advice and help, and I'm in no rush... if you want to PM me your E mail I'll send you over a small image of my sat map so you have an idea of what I'm up to.

D

Lol. Yea you got your work cut out for you. I've been working on mine every day for about a month now. Got four major towns in most major roads and now I'm going around tweaking things. I've got an underground bunker in although I'm prob gonna go back and make it myself in oxygen as right now I'm using a castle corner as the bunker.

I've got my layer mask in and my sat map although both are being constantly tweaked.

Yea I'd def like to see how your doing your sat map as that is what's bugging me the most right now.

Currently I'm using photoshop and rendering clouds and tweaking that then adding color to make my sat map. The green grass areas look good but the ocean is looking a bit wierd.

Well the ocean is going to be covered by real ocean, so I wouldn'T worry too much about that. I'm currently just working on my sat map strip by strip, removing unwanted roads, and the most annoying part, ALL SHADOWS! but most of the time my mind is off and I'm processing, it's once all of this ground work is out of the way I can begin to expand things, add in areas, have some fun with stuff... I get to work on mine a few times a week, and I've been working on it since about half way through November, so with the learning curve, I think I'm doing ok...

D