Sign in to follow this  
daringd

A Noob's experience of creating a new terrain with a bit of advice

Daringd can i just say i am truly inspired by your words, Yes i am knew to this forum and know nobody here. But i to am in the same sort of predicament. Although i have only been creating and learning terrain in arma 2 for about a month i have already started (but no where near completed) 4 projects. I too have learnt to use l3dT and manualy flatten/smooth surfaces for roads with it. But none of my projects look anywhere near as detailed and professional as yours does. Your roads are just spectatcular, and yes i am calling your road placement such a thing. I thought i had come into the terrain making game so late, that i would have to use worn out tutorials and receive little or no help.. not realizing how much of a big community is already here. I scincearly hold my hand up to you and say well done, and thank you for the boost and inspiration i needed to crack on and finish my projects!

Dude,

As you will find out more and more, everyone that posts on the forums is a 'somebody' in their own way, everyone contributes somehow, I bet even Bushlurker only had 10 posts to his name at one time!

D

Another update over at the WIP thread for anyone interested.

D

Also worth adding this little gem to the thread-line, because it had me stumped! now it is SOLVED!

Asphalt-ground-texture-creating-ungly-dark-line-between-surface-types

it is basically a problem I had with a very horrible dark line between surface types, turned out to be that one of the surface types had no NOPX element (normal map)... worth knowing about.

D

Edited by daringd

Nice work so far Daringd.

Right now for myself, i still have to update the sat and mask layer, as i am still placing objects on the map, i figured i'd wait until i got most of the stuff placed out.

The problem i have now is that there is a distinguished railway crossing my terrain, and well, i can not figure out how i can manage to place a railway in a slope correctly, read somehwere it is impossible, but still trying stuff out.

Another problem i have that got me into Visitor, is that i have a road and a railway that passes under the airfield, so figured i had to make bridge where i could pass a road underneath and the runway on top, so i did visitor tutorials, and one day it just clicked and i went a bit wild and did a few models and started on a terminal building, and yeah, so i got distracted for weeks doing that (still to learn how to do the textures and coding to get them ingame though), but decided to say goodbye to visitor for now and continue on the map.

I'd say i am maybe a year or more away from showing something decent :-D