Am I the only one who hasn't liked the game?

I really miss the mechanics of the first game,and I think the game has the bad habits of the actual gen. It's not so bad compared with other really fucked up franchises like splinter cell or rainbow Six, but it bores me.

Another dissapointment for me this year has been Hitman Absolution, bad game who breaks the charm of the previous sequels, with generally very goods reviews.

I'm spoilt by ARMA freelook and trackIR... does this game supports it? Just played metro 2033, really miss my trackIR in that game

one question:

So in FC3 you can pretty much go anywhere do anything, is it really like Skyrim?

I have no idea how it is in Skyrim, but you can go anywhere on the map area.

Pretty sure if you wander far enough out to the sea you will be spat back towards the land.

As for do anything you like, well, sure, as far as there's things possible to do in the game.

You don't have a endless amount of auxiliary missions etc, but there are for few moments worth.

If you like roaming around the island hunting and collecting relics and 'lost letters' you can go for hours with that.

It also seems to be a game that basically has two camps, the ones who love it and the ones who find it boring.

If you need to have constant battle to be entertained then it's not for you..

Another dissapointment for me this year has been Hitman Absolution

OT, but:

Didn't really find that much wrong with this game either :p

The badly designed checkpoint system and instinct crap was a bit silly, otherwise to me it was the same as the older ones. :icon_wink:

+ Fantastic island to explore.

+ 1st person immersion is extreme.

+ Awesome characters.

+ Well done main storyline with best places I've ever seen. Chinese temples were just whoa!

+ Wildlife is pretty spectacular and sometimes dangerous.

+ Enemy base layouts provided pretty good approach to how you ended up using stealth.

+ Zone system way better than Farcry 2's enemy respawn system.

Dislikes:

- Not enough unique places other than in certain story quests.

- Not enough role playing elements.

- Side quests are typically really bad.

- Crafting could have been a lot more complex.

- Too easy. Would have preferred hardcore mode which made bullets as dangerous as dangerous wildlife.

- Weird oversaturated colors, I had to adjust monitor to fix some issues.

- Waaaay to bright at night. I think Arma is the only game that have managed to get this just about right.

- No mod support, which is basically what will make this game short lived.

- Problems with some missions and save system which can really ruin the day.

- No alternatives to fast travel. I'd prefer a FC2 bus system to get around as I don't fast travel.

- Bad sound system in that you can't lower volume for sountrack (on or off only) or gui sounds (way too loud and bassy).

- Incredibly bad weather system - transition to thunderstorms (way too frequent as in most games) is ridiculous.

- No place to sleep. I'd like to have the old set alarm system from Farcry 2.

- Too serious limitations on MP map editing (no vehicles), which made me loose interest before even getting into it.

- I generally hate games where you can't save at will at all times, but I could at least endure this system.

- No "true" 1st person immersion like in Arma, although the fake usually did it's job exceptionally well.

- Lack of freelook (can't look left while walking forward).

- No crawling.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

You're making the mistake of comparing FC3 to Arma, when you shouldn't even bother lobbing them into the same category. Many praise arma 3's free look system, myself included, I love it, but it isn't something that would benefit the generic fps scene.

Likewise night cycles and so on, Far Cry 3 doesn't make the claims of realism and authenticity that arma does, the fact that you can pull a bullet out of your hand and then be A-ok attests to that well enough, so instead you should compare it to Far Cry 2, Crysis and especially Far Cry 1, the predecessor of them all in which it appears to try and follow.

Huh? I can see a lot of mods already, or maybe I'm missing something?

Sometimes it's about planned obsolescence, I think. By and large I think publishers want you to play the crap out of it then buy the next game or some DLC rather than continuously play the same modded game for 10 years.

Glad I didn't buy it as the kid in me was coercing me too, but realizing my computer couldn't handle it stopped me.

My thoughts overall after watching several vids, reviews, and whatnot on it made me think how much i dont care for linear based games, but as long as it has a good story I think, but..

again how many times are you going to play a linear based game for the story, 1-3 times? When I say Linear i mean that you have to go through some story elements just

to get into the game, rather then just going in and doing what you want, they should make that an option, as far as I know its not.

Anyways i thought that the game would be much better if it were indeed like Skyrim, think of the possibilities:

-New player created islands you can explore, fight on ect,.

-more weapons

-character customization

-more features

-more options

granted the game does look pretty cool, I had Farcry 1 and played it through a couple of times and had alot of fun, and really enjoyed the scenery, obviously F3 is way more enhanced,

and better then the original, but after playing with the Arma series for such a long time, I prefer all my games to be moddable, and an open sandbox, like that of Arma games,

this 1 reason is also why I enjoy Skyrim so much.

If Farcry3 had these elements i think the game would get alot more attention then it is.

Its a cool looking game none the less but thats about as far as I go with it.

You guys ever watch the real life Farcry3 episodes?

there pretty cool, like short movies, had me going at first the way they filmed it but realized it was all acting, lol,

heres all the episodes in one vid:

The Far Cry Experience (Starring Christopher Mintz-Plasse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKfXatOMMXY

episode 1 where nothing is missing at the start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F28Hcjn8TpI

the full linked vid above was missing a part at the beginning.

Edited by Gnter Severloh

I guess it's ARMA graphics that have ruined me but I just can't really get into Far Cry 3, I'm playing a bit and it just feels like I'm controlling a comic book.

Amazing game. Great gameplay and graphics, characters, weapons, setting. The cliches in the story were kinda annoying, but the story was overall great.

I didn't care much for FC2 but loved FC3. FC2 had great potential and introduced some awesome game play on a micro level but it became repetitive and the story didn't make much sense. I didn't bother to finish it.

FC3 fixed those ultra repetitive situations (i.e. clearing out the same checkpoint if you moved a few hundred meters away and returned), had a more relatable story where you actually felt like a 'good guy', and didn't require any quinine. There were some super gamey feeling parts, some plot holes that felt like lazy writing, and I wish there were more choices you could make to influence the story, but I was willing to overlook those shortcomings and say this is the best single player game I have played in quite some time.

Haven't played FC3 yet, but I will, soon. Generally I really enjoyed FC2, even if it was repetitive to clear out the same sector for ten or more times, it was fun to blow and torch all things up. The only thing I didn't like was a totally screwed stealth system, despite using MP5 SD the enemies knew immediately you where on site and quiet actions were not possible, hope they fixed the stealth actions in FC3.

You should.

FC3 is in my opinion very different from FC2. Graphics, shooting mechanics, and physics is more or less the same, it's just that FC3 is ten times more living and breathing compared to the empty world in FC2. Variety of missions is greater, ability to customize your weapon, and travel all around the island with no restrictions.

Huh? I can see a lot of mods already, or maybe I'm missing something?
Sometimes it's about planned obsolescence, I think. By and large I think publishers want you to play the crap out of it then buy the next game or some DLC rather than continuously play the same modded game for 10 years.

Ok, my mistake. I believe the initial impression was "no mod support", so I didn't bother waiting around. Are these done with actual released modding tools, or are they more like hacks? Anyway, for me, without using any mods, the game didn't last very long due limited replayability (and sw issues which are probably fixed in patches by now). I don't have any plans to get back into it, but it was surely worth the money (and time - since I don't fast travel).

@Günter Severloh:

I think most players would have loved to see a more role playing approach set in this universe and setting. But creating role playing game mechanics to a realistic world seems (to me) harder compared to a fantasy game where all bets are off and allows mechanics that couldn't possibly be considered. Personally I think it's heading in that direction, which is good. But a good role playing engine isn't made over night - much more data to handle might impact the current engine too much (speculative). It's open world sandbox, except for the second island which isn't as cool or big anyway. Actually, I find many parallels to Skyrim, but lacking character customization (needed in 1st person only?) and going current world rather than fantasy. Would love to see a survival role play hard-core'ish approach to this.

Oh, and thanks a bunch for that video - I'm completely blown away. The energic performance of Michael Mando as Vaas was about the most insane thing I ever saw. I think his career just got boosted significantly :) Sure hope to see him again soon. I think "Vaas explained" could be a good movie :D

And yeah, Far Cry 3 is well worth it. Especially if you're into 1st person immersion sandbox open world kind of games, with usually more than one way of handling the problem at hand.

Haven't bought FC3 yet, but have FC2 and really like the environment they created (FC2 was Africa), it had some issues (repetitive, infinite AI spawns), but that one already could have been an epic game as for the immersive environment. Also it has a great editor/map maker, if only that editor had the options the ArmA editor has! Oh and also no dynamic LOD on vegetation so I have like 30fps more playing FC with max settings compared to arma on low settings.

There is a growing number of mods for Far Cry which can be found in the Far Cry Nexus http://farcry.nexusmods.com/ There is one called "Insane Compilation" which combines them all - it is the COWarMod of Far Cry 3 if you will. If you want to start a new game with the mods installed, you don't have to play the campaign again because all weapons and een the wing suit are unlocked from the start. Unfortunately you have to register to download files.

Edited by Alpha-Kilo

Lol good analogy alpha-kilo, I like it. But My computer wont let me play the game anyways, so I'm going to wait and upgrade, and by

that time the prices should have dropped more,a nd more mods for it will be out.

TBH I'm more interested in the editor, like Arma games I prefer to build my own games, I seen something for mp but is there something

for Single player where you can build maps or whatever they call them for yourself?

Unfortunately the editor of FC is only for MP where you can place spawn points and capture objects etc on a small MP map. Wish you could place and script AI for a storyline SP mode on a big map.

The MP for farcy looks boring, well i guess I'll forget it then, i'll stick to what i normally play, Arma2Co and make my own farcy missions using the downloaded islands found on Armaholic.

Probably one reason other then money is tight why i really dont buy other games because I can build or do the same thing in Arma2CO.

Nah not really, you can make MP quite tactical and challenging if you create a good map for it and depending on with who you play with, with strong points, static defenses etc. The max map size is I think something like a 1km square you can build on. I made a few maps where you have a town, caves, jungle, mountain area's, lake/swamp. You can make it quite divers. And it's super easy and intuitive to create good high detailed maps, unlike arma which is like insanely hard.

PS, I still have some tactical FC2 maps if anyone wants them, put quite some time in them.

Is it still a cross country driving simulator with the occasional inescapable checkpoint thrown in? Because that's what I hated about FC2. So many memories of driving to a gun shop to save for the first time in hours and then getting shot to pieces at a checkpoint 100 meters away...

^^nope, way better there than FC2. I didn't quite enjoy FC2 (bar the gameplay advacements based on burning shit up). FC3 is indeed a great game in my humble opinion.