Sign in to follow this  
ventzer0

Operation longbow, uh1 start and soon after crashes

Hi, Im pretty annoyed at the moment. I was about to fly this flashback mission operation longbow. Sitting in the UH1Y, starting up the heli like it should be done. Getting in the air and flying towards the waypoint.

So far so good, after a short time I get this shaking and hear this clanking noise, soon after that the RPM drops and I spin out of control with the message that the heli is damaged too much.

I wasnt flying too fast and I had my eye on the torque indicator. Whats happening here everything I try gets me the same result, I crash after a couple of minutes because my heli gets damaged by something I cant quite make out.

Its pretty fcking annoying to be honest. It cant be the start up since the auto startup sequence does the same thing I do and it leads to the same result.

Hi VentZer0

Since there is near to zero activity in this forum about op Longbow I thought we might huddle together for warmth (figuratively speaking!)

I am also in Op Longbow as you are but I didn't experience your specific issue, I am further along with an issue of my own but I thought I might assist where I can.

You say "starting up the heli like it should be done". I don't mean to insult you as I am troubleshooting only, but what is your start-up sequence in case there is something you might be doing differently to me? It may be a long shot but let's start here anyway.

Hi VentZer0

Since there is near to zero activity in this forum about op Longbow I thought we might huddle together for warmth (figuratively speaking!)

I am also in Op Longbow as you are but I didn't experience your specific issue, I am further along with an issue of my own but I thought I might assist where I can.

You say "starting up the heli like it should be done". I don't mean to insult you as I am troubleshooting only, but what is your start-up sequence in case there is something you might be doing differently to me? It may be a long shot but let's start here anyway.

wow a reply O_O

well my startup is all follows

battery on

starter engine 1

wait for rpm

go to idle throttle

starter engine 2

wait for rpm

go to idle throttle

battery off

starter disengage automaticly when rpm is at ~65%

warm up period ~15 secs

full throttle both engines

wait for rpm to stabilize

lift off

i follow that basic training to the letter

theres even a auto startup option (i guess because of trainee difficulty) and it starts the heli pretty much the same as i do ... and still it crashes

Is your joystick perhaps not calibrated or giving some spikes of uncommanded control movements? Are you flying it with very large or abrupt stick movements? The medium heli is very sensitive to rough handling and damages very easily.

starter engine 2

wait for rpm

go to idle throttle

What I find so funny (not laughing at you VentZer0 btw) is that I prefer manual starts too as a bit of a challenge and when I started this mission, I only started 1 engine! Is there two in the UH1?

My sequence is a little different (not saying it's correct), but if you want to try:

1. Battery on;

2. Starter on (wait for 12% torque);

3. Throttle to idle (wait for 65% torque);

4. Starter off (wait 15 seconds);

5. Throttle to Full.

Off I flew without a problem.

I guess the medium helicopter has enough power in one engine to take off. Good news if you have an engine failure. The medium helicopter actually has a lot of excess power and you have carefully manage your torque or else you can damage the transmission...

Maybe this is what the OP is on about? Maybe he cranks the collective up to full and is constantly over torquing the helicopter.

Given more thought and because I think it has happened to me, do you think you might be over torquing the engine?

edit, sorry, noticed you mentioned you have you eye on the torque indicator...

yeah. I fly with the overlay on so I can see at a glance if I'm overspeeding or overtorquing. With the medium helicopter you don't really want to go much over 85% collective pitch, I think.