Sign in to follow this  
Four_Leaf_Clover

Chernarus Satmap and Topographical map

I am currently working with some people to make an interactive map of Chernarus of sorts (for dayz). We want to use the in-game satmap and topographical images for maximum clarity but are not sure how to get hold of them. Like the ones found on dayz db and the dayz wiki.

I have found (and tried to follow) plenty of tutorials using the BIstudio files but they all tell me how to make my own map, not how to access an existing one. I would be very grateful if anyone could tip me off on how to get the high quality map images from the files and what tools and workflow I should use.

1. Go to addons folder

2. DePbo chernarus_Data_Layers.pbo

3. Install TexView2 or any other program able to convert *.paa files

4. Convert all 1023 (!) s_XXX_XX_lco.paa files to s_XXX_XX_lco.png/s_XXX_XX_lco.tga

5. Stich the files together with GIMP or Photoshop

Anyone got better ideas? I have begun work on that once but as it took too much time - abandoned it...

1. Go to addons folder

2. DePbo chernarus_Data_Layers.pbo

3. Install TexView2 or any other program able to convert *.paa files

4. Convert all 1023 (!) s_XXX_XX_lco.paa files to s_XXX_XX_lco.png/s_XXX_XX_lco.tga

5. Stich the files together with GIMP or Photoshop

Anyone got better ideas? I have begun work on that once but as it took too much time - abandoned it...

I think the .paa-files can be converted by command line by using Pal2PacE (as bulldozer does, but the other way around), and after you can stitch them automatically through an image processing program. Personally I've used the program Fiji, which can stitch images based on their filename. It is mostly used to stitch medical scans together but it's very versatile.

Edited by Pfhaota

I think the .paa-files can be converted by command line by using Pal2PacE (as bulldozer does, but the other way around), and after you can stitch them automatically through an image processing program. Personally I've used the program Fiji, which can stitch images based on their filename. It is mostly used to stitch medical scans together but it's very versatile.

Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I have converted all the files by hand but I still have the problem of stitching them all together.

I have given Fiji a good go but have not had any success. Pic of error and settings: http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x445/Four_Leaf_Clov/Errorandsettings_zps7b25075b.jpg I have tried doing what imageJ's website suggests, but I cannot get it to work. I have used the Positions from File part of the stitching plugin however the program does not display an image or write to disk after the calculations. Any ideas on what might be going wrong?

I also tried ICE but it seems incapable of stitching together so many files ( it arranges everything perfectly but drops 80% of the tiles, leaving a grey area in the mid

I feel like this is more difficult than it should be.

Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I have converted all the files by hand but I still have the problem of stitching them all together.

I have given Fiji a good go but have not had any success. Pic of error and settings: http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x445/Four_Leaf_Clov/Errorandsettings_zps7b25075b.jpg I have tried doing what imageJ's website suggests, but I cannot get it to work. I have used the Positions from File part of the stitching plugin however the program does not display an image or write to disk after the calculations. Any ideas on what might be going wrong?

I also tried ICE but it seems incapable of stitching together so many files ( it arranges everything perfectly but drops 80% of the tiles, leaving a grey area in the mid

I feel like this is more difficult than it should be.

First, do not use any fusion method, as all your pics will fit perfectly together from the start. As for the error, use the filename defined position option instead. The lack of result is caused by fusion, which is extremely CPU intensive, giving the impression of nothing happening. If you turn off all the fusion/blend/overlap options, the process will be quicker. Check the task manager and you'll notice that it is working.

First, do not use any fusion method, as all your pics will fit perfectly together from the start. As for the error, use the filename defined position option instead. The lack of result is caused by fusion, which is extremely CPU intensive, giving the impression of nothing happening. If you turn off all the fusion/blend/overlap options, the process will be quicker. Check the task manager and you'll notice that it is working.

Thanks. Can you tell me how things should look in the setup? http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x445/Four_Leaf_Clov/Perplexed_zps1ad45cf9.jpg There doesn't seem to be any documentation on how to properly set things up.

As you can see it just repeats with the same image. I have tried using s_{iii}_{iii}_lco.tif instead of the actual file name but that doesn't work either.

Edited by Four_Leaf_Clover

use: s_{xxx}_{yyy}_lco.tif as you use 2 counters now, one per dimension, instead on one. (and set fusion method to none and remove compute overlap checkbox)

Excellent! One last problem, however. No image appears in the file and it stops on this line in the log:

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x445/Four_Leaf_Clov/NearlyThere_zps690f5f43.jpg

I've checked everywhere and I can't find a saved image or anything. I have left it open in-case its just processing something behind the scenes but nothing ever turned up.

Any ideas?

strange, the Image output option "write to disk" should create an image. Try with Fuse and display (it will not really fuse them together as all other options are nulled, but only stitch them). There is no progress bar, so sometimes it can seem like it never appears. Check if the exe's process is active in the task manager to be sure.

Edit: Now I'm checking around in fiji directly. It's been awhile since I used it, e.g. I only used the now deprecated methods which I find easier to use. It seems like the new interface won't allow no fusing but still stitch. You could use the deprecated methods or fuse the images together with a very low overlap and the median method (which should be the fastest). Or find another program. :(

Good luck.

Edited by Pfhaota

When it comes to the creation of the 4 *.txt files (after conversion from *.paa to *.png, this is an easy way to do it:

1. Open Commandline

2. Go into temp folder

3. Enter "dir /b > layers.txt"

4. Open layers.txt

5. Copy & paste filenames (i.e. separate into 4 files)

Edited by ZeroG