Sign in to follow this  
Totala

Resistance : a  master piece ...

Well, last night I was still getting black screens, especially in multiplayer for some reason. Once I was just sitting on the in-game server browser and not moving my mouse and my screen still suddenly went black. There'd be a click from the monitor and that was it - nothing worked but rebooting.

I decided to reinstall from scratch. I uninstalled everything properly, removed the leftover folders, installed OFP, installed Red Hammer, installed the 1.46 patch and installed Resistance, with a reboot in between every step. Then I tried Resistance and messed about with the editor for a while to see what happened. Within ten minutes I was staring at a blank screen.

I was thinking that all of us who are or were getting black screens are running XP. I have had the occasional crash in OFP since upgrading from 98, but before that it was always rock solid. So I thought that maybe if I tried the Windows 98/ME compatibility mode it would help. After activating it (right click on the start menu Resistance shortcut, go to properties, then compatibility and select Windows 98/ME comptibility mode and check the tick box) I once again tried Resistance and fooled around with the editor. I must have been playing with it for over an hour and not one crash occurred. I don't know if what I did helped but I was constantly expecting a black screen and it didn't happen. I think the acid test will be multiplayer since that seems to be the most unstable.

Anyway, apologies for the long story. In summary, try activating 98/ME compatibility mode on your Resistance shortcut and see if it helps. Fingers crossed. confused.gif

Hmmm interesting Munger,

I am using Win98 SE, and I have solved my black screen problems, so you might be onto something there. Keep testing it.

mad.gif I'm really pissed off cos my harddrive has just packed up again. I get Disk I/O Error when I boot now. This has happened before, so I hope I can fix it using IBM Drive Fitness Test.

Urgh. I tried multiplayer and guess what; black screen. I was on the receiving data screen watching the mission download, didn't even have my hand on my mouse, then the screen just goes black. Single player seems fine though which I don't understand. I just can't get my head around what's happening here. Anyway, I'm giving up on multiplayer Resistance until BIS release a patch which will probably take ages, if it even happens. sad.gif

There's no need to install patch 1.46. Resistance will upgrade version 1.00 all the way up to 1.75. Not sure it'll help though, but you never know.

Very interesting story Munger and very closed to what I got

as far as the black screens are concerned.

I must say that I did not have a single crash since I "downgraded" to 64Mb AGP aperture size. For instance I have been playing about 3 hours non stop yesterday evening smile.gif

In your case, I would anayway try to reinstall FlashPoint

and then directly Resistance. Plus, I would lower the FSB to

100 Mhz and eventually decreasing memory timing to CAS 3

if you are using CAS 2 or 2.5. This way, if you still get black

screens, you should ask for a refund of your game mad.gif

Good luck, cauz this game is still wonderfull wink.gif

Do you guys have broadband cable?? Or do u use 56K modem for multiplayer ?

I assume you have broadband.

confused.gif There might be a conflict with your network card in a particular PCI slot on your mobo. Check you mobo manual. And try another slot. I don't know if it will make a difference with the multiplayer BLACK screen crashes, but worth a try.

I was going to try and PCI cards in different slots to try and relieve my games pausing/stutter problem, but until I get a new hdd I can't use my PC.  mad.gif

Good luck!!

1.75 is still black screen crashing mad.gif

I was for no more than 5 minutes waiting for other players to connect for a multiplayer game and suddenly : black screen, full lock sad.gif

Well, I had to reset again, reboot and then I played for 2 hours without a single bug wow.gif

However, 64Mo AGP aperture size did not make a perfect job in this case.

I am using an USB Cable modem so no big deal with PCI boards. I simply have my Adpatec 29160 and that's it !

Same exact situation here Totala. I was playing multiplayer the other night for several hours without a crash and thought I might have the problem sorted. How foolish of me - played online again last night and got black screens twice within ten minutes of starting the game. mad.gif

I'm using ISDN and there's never been a prolem with it before. Totala, have you ever overclocked any part of your PC? I once overclocked my GF3 and I'm vaguely worried that I might have damaged it. I doubt I have but I need reassurance. confused.gif

I overclocked both my Creative Geforce 256 32Mb DDR and my Hercules Gf2Mx 64Mb SDR (never to stupid values, and never for long periods of time), and I resolved the black screens on those cards. So if your card worked fine for other games, its probably not the Gf3.

Strangely though, my brother had another black screen crash, the same as with OFP:R, but this was with NeverWinter Nights. It only happened once so far, but Nwn runs like pants anyway on his pc (cpu+mobo upgrade needed).

To be honest my bro hasn't played much online OFP:R (thrashing GTA3), but I know for sure he has played it once for an hour or so without any crashes.

What similar specs do guys Totala and Munger have? Mobo??

Well Totala's specs are in his sig. Here's mine:

K7N420 Pro Nvidia Nforce mobo with latest drivers

XP1800+ CPU

GF3 (original 64MB version) with 28.32 drivers

512MB DDR RAM

Built-in sound

Win XP Pro with a few performance tweaks

I also have Wright's v12 soundpack installed but I've tried the game without it and it's just the same.

I keep telling myself to forget about Resistance and play a different game until a patch is released, but I can't because for one reason a patch will probably not be released for ages and for another I'm addicted to online OFP! confused.gif