Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Sa-80 still jams

I would personally always go with HK or FN. IMO they produce the most reliable weapons. I think that the Germans have wisely chosen the G36 as their standard automatic carbine.

The SA-80 is such a beautiful gun. I'd like the British to continue to fix it.

M16's and Australian AUGs have been proven to be naturally unreliable.

Genuine Steyr AUGs would be too expensive to buy on a mass scale, so the British would try to make their own like the Australians do. And fail like the Australians have.

With the proper handeling the Steyr AUG is one of the most reliable guns there are. There have been some complaints that the gun fails after you fire about 250 rounds in full auto continuously. As anybody that knows anything about guns knows there is no rifle in the world that can handle that kind of abuse. Unfortunately such abuse is quite common. Not in the field however. A normal soldier carries about 200 rounds in the field, and there is no way that he empties all of them within two minutes.

The AUG handles still that kind of abuse better then any other gun I know. I have seen the barrel literaly smoking and yet the weapon still firing.

Used in the right way, it is a great weapon.

I think they may need to go with an older, but more reliable weapon. The wooden club. Although somewhat lacking in modern technical improvements, the wooden club has proved its worth throughout the centuries. Also, its so simple that even Brits can figure it out tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 05 2002,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think they may need to go with an older, but more reliable weapon. The wooden club. Although somewhat lacking in modern technical improvements, the wooden club has proved its worth throughout the centuries. Also, its so simple that even Brits can figure it out  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Don't count on it. smile.gif

Though I've heard many say that the M60 mg is unreliable, I saw this program about SEALs, and they explained how it could continue firing on and on and on, even when the barrel became glowing white in the dark. I think that's rather impressive wow.gif

But maybe that UAG test was only for assault rifles...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedStorm @ July 05 2002,12:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 05 2002,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think they may need to go with an older, but more reliable weapon. The wooden club. Although somewhat lacking in modern technical improvements, the wooden club has proved its worth throughout the centuries. Also, its so simple that even Brits can figure it out  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Don't count on it. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL! This coming from an American. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

They should get some G36's. It's reliable, accurate, you can attach a grenade launcher to it, it comes with optic sight (there are models with one or two sights + the iron sight), you can attach night vision to the optic sight... I'm surprised that only Germany and Spain use this rifle (as far as i know), it's a really good rifle. Germany makes the best weapons in the world, and HK makes the best german weapons biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ July 06 2002,08:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">... Germany makes the best weapons in the world...<span id='postcolor'>

Most expensive, too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One of the most promising aspects of the G36 system is the cost. The G36 series costs roughly $950 for the basic rifle to U.S. LE agencies. This is significantly less than the roller locked rifles which start at about $1200. Dual optical sighted models are about $400 more.<span id='postcolor'>

That's from HKpro. It's twice as expensive as a M16, but it's a lot better.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ July 05 2002,14:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One of the most promising aspects of the G36 system is the cost.  The G36 series costs roughly $950 for the basic rifle to U.S. LE agencies.  This is significantly less than the roller locked rifles which start at about $1200.  Dual optical sighted models are about $400 more.<span id='postcolor'>

That's from HKpro. It's twice as expensive as a M16, but it's a lot better.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm, US are paying H&K shitloads already for the OICW, now for the G-36 as well? I don't think they will like being dependent on a foreign manufacturer...and I can't see H&K giving out the license...

Why not? Only the first 15000 g36 for the spanish army have been bought from Germany, the other 115000 are being built in Spain.

I think the world should adopt a rifle that's proved it's worth.

But in a more... Civilized appearance:

maadi1.jpg

maadi2.jpg

More pics of the green AK47 @: http://www.redstararms.com/maadi.html

This is an AK47 variant with some kind of laser aiming module, and with green furniture.

The AK now looks very respectable and civilized.

Looks very good, but the new AN-94 Abakan is even better. Someone should make an Abakan addon for OFP...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't think they will like being dependent on a foreign manufacturer...and I can't see H&K giving out the license...<span id='postcolor'>

That is pure pride. You see, HK was founded in Germany but the a great part (I think the greatest) of the production facilities and R&D department are in the US. They actually would rather support the US economy than Germany's.

Furthermore would a certain uniformity of the guns used by the UNO simplify many logistics and definetly cut costs of that gun by 20-30%

Dont we all want one thing for our comfort!

EASY CLEANING

g36-deler.jpg

The AN-94 is the best gun in the world. Cheap too.

But it hasn't proven it's worth.

The AK47 has been used in every country in the world and has gone through Hell and back.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ July 05 2002,15:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AK47? That is old shit! You mean AK74<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. The 7.62x39 variant. The AK74 is basically a AK47 rechambered for 5.45x39 ammo. It also has a flash hider and muzzle break. No other differences AFIK.

The AK47 and AK74 use different ammo.

The AK74 uses a much smaller calibre bullet.

And that picture shows a 60-round drum with it's plate removed. A 40-round magazine. And a 10-round magazine.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 06 2002,09:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ July 05 2002,15:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AK47? That is old shit! You mean AK74<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. The 7.62x39 variant. The AK74 is basically a AK47 rechambered for 5.45x39 ammo. It also has a flash hider and muzzle break. No other differences AFIK.<span id='postcolor'>

A flash hider can snapped onto any rifle.

And most AK47's have muzzle breaks too. It's difficult to fire a rifle without one.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FetishFool @ July 05 2002,15:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The AK47 and AK74 use different ammo.

The AK74 uses a much smaller calibre bullet.

And that picture shows a 60-round drum with it's plate removed.  A 40-round magazine.  And a 10-round magazine.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, but that drum is for a MAK90. Looks funny though!

I dont know much about weapons so no reason to really join the discussion. But I know that the AK74 has smaller and faster bullets and therefore rather resembles the M16. I think the Ak47 had simply too much power. Whats the use of a bullet that can go straight  through your body and also hit the person behind you (only leaving a clean hole)? I therefore consider the AK74 as a progressive model!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FetishFool @ July 05 2002,15:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And most AK47's have muzzle breaks too.  It's difficult to fire a rifle without one.<span id='postcolor'>

The original AK47 design doesn't include muzzle break. Firing a rifle without one is IMO not difficult at all. You just have to have a good firing position.

Bwah.. todays kids, all spoiled. Muzzle breaks.. bwah tounge.gif