Sign in to follow this  
munger

Anyone getting a black screen crash?

Since getting Resistance I keep having crashes, but they aren't like the typical ones I've experienced (CTD or screen freeze). Instead my screen will just suddenly go black as if I turned the monitor off. The monitor light stays green so it can't be a refresh rate issue (I'm running at 85Hz and my monitor can easily cope with that). When the screen goes blank all the sounds stop too. Nothing works except resetting the PC. I don't really expect a solution to this problem, but I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same occurence. confused.gif

For reference, my system:

XP 1800+

512MB DDR

Geforce 3 with 29.42 drivers

Win XP Pro

Wellcome onboard !!

I have EXACTLY the same problem as you have !!

Check my todays post...

I really hope BIS can work this one out SOON even if simply

recommending to change driver such as detonator 29.42

Keep posting anynews regarding this burning issue !

Hav'nt had one of those yet. touch wood!...(say's he banging his head on the table!!wink.gif. I have had loads of CTD's and HL's(hardlucks wink.gif ). including one accompanyed by an awful LOUD!! wailing noise!. scared the crap out o' me!! wow.giftounge.gif

Has anyone tried different Dets' yet?. we all seem to have Det'#29.42. I'm gonna try #28.32's and see what the coup is...

I've used 28.32 for the last couple of months and have'nt had a single crash OFP:R.

To all those who mean OFP:R is unstable: check your system before you blame it on BIS wow.gif

Read this thread:

Freezes Solved?

I was having all manner of screen freezes, and black screen freezes until I reduced AGP aperture size in my BIOS to 64mb.

When you get the black screen freeze can you see a thin blue line (like 1 or 2 pixels wide) at the top of the screen?

And can you still hear the sound looping in the background?

I was getting screen freezes and black screen lock-ups more than crash to desktops, but now OFPR runs fine.

BTW, OFP 1.46 worked fine with the original Aperture size (128mb) , but maybe it was pushing my hardware to fast.

64Mb AGP aperture size worked so I'm leaving it at that.

Good Luck!!

Dominus, you should know that a larger AGP aperture size will actually SLOW your performance with a fast 64MB/128MB card like a GF3 or GF4, not increase it. The reasons for this are complicated but it basically boils down to the fact that allocating a larger AGP aperture will waste your system RAM by dedicating it to backing up video card RAM when most of the time you won't need more than what's on the card itself. Thus for a GF4 with say 128MB onboard, you should set the AGP aperture to 64MB, not 128MB.

The more RAM is on the card, the LOWER your aperture size should be.

Munger, I assume you overclock your video card. Is there any chance that it is overheating now that ambient temperatures are up? What happens if you run 3DMark2001SE or something else for a while?

Mister Frag, I'm not overclocking my graphics card, although I DID do so for a short time a few days ago - I increased the memory to 480MHz from 460MHz. I had a black screen crash in Resistance whilst the card was oc'd so changed it back to default settings, but I'm still having the same problem. I hope I haven't damaged my card! Anyway, I've reinstalled the 28.32 drivers instead of the 29.42's, so I'll see if that makes a difference.

3dMark runs fine with both drivers but I get about 30 points extra with the 29.42's.

Still crashing...still the ONLY ONE to crash mad.gif

Me too. Changed to 28.32 drivers. No difference. confused.gif