Sign in to follow this  
Sakowski

Any good program/tutorials for mission making?

As the topic says, I am looking if there is any good program to simplify your life while making mission because really ingame editor can be a pain in the arse :) Sadly Planned Assault does not have every mod supported so that is taken off from the list...

I want to learn how to make missions, obviously I do not aim high, I just want to start low, therefor I am asking the lovely community for help if they know any good programs to make missions easier or any good tutorials?

Tried looking for programs and tuts on armaholic but no luck D:

Thank you anyways!

Edited by Sakowski

Use youTube. Also, Mr.Murrays editing guide && -showscripterrors startup parameter are a must!! Also, use -nosplash startup parameter and run the game in windowed, making your scripting / editing transitions faster.

Edited by Iceman77

Use youTube & Mr.Murrays editing guide is a must!!

Thanks! didnt check armed assault 1 tab in downloads since I thought in ArmA 2 & OA there would of be newer stuff.

Yeah that guide is still very relevant to A2. Plus, it's pretty much one of the only guides, and definately the most in depth. Most, if not all usage in that guide can still be applied to A2/CO. Just steer clear of the bits of sqs examples (what little there are), and focus on sqf syntax. sqs can still be used, but it's obsolete even since A1.

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

I edited my first post, re-read for some additional info.

Well I gotta thank Iceman a lot for the guide, I am not planning to do anything big like MSO like missions but just small assault missions :) the guide is useful as well!

Search Youtube and there are some good videos. There is one series of 9 videos but I forget the name. Some tips for absolute beginners:

Whilst you are opening the editor you will be asked to select a map. Do so.

The first step is to Save the file. Select "Save".

Here you name the mission. You might choose to name it Red Widget Seven.

Later on, when you go to play the mission, you will see it named "Red Widget Seven"

However, if you ever went looking for it on your hard drive it will appear as Red20%Widget20%Seven.

Which is very confusing!. So, the best name is Red_Widget_Seven.

Then, wherever you look, the mission will be named "Red_Widget_Seven"

There is a drop down below with 3 options:

User

Export to single player mission

Export to multi player mission

If you select "User", you can't play the mission on your own computer rather, you can only play it from within the editor

Instead you need to select "Export to Single Player Mission" at which point you can play it on your computer and or upload the mission to the forum

=============================

Now click on the weather button. At the top is a cell where you can type a name. You can leave this blank. Or type any name you want.

If you type a name here, this name will override ‘Red_Widget_Seven†and then you get confused so use the same name!

If you leave it blank, The computer then adds the name of the map onto the name of the mission. On the Desert map the name is now "Red_Widget_Seven_Desert"

This is useful but can also be confusing. So make sure the name is typed here as well!

========= = = = = ====================

Also here on the weather screen, you will select which side the independents are on

To zoom in and out of the map you use the mouse wheel just as you do in the game.

To move around the map, hold down the right mouse button and drag the map around.

Select “F1†and double click on the map. Here you add individual soldiers to the map.

One soldier on the map must be set as “Player†( that’s you). If nobody is set as “Player†you cannot play the scenario.

Other soldiers can be set to “Playable†or set to “Non-Playable†as you see fit.

Again, select “F1†and double click on the map. Play with the drop down menus and learn that you can add fortifications, burnt out vehicles and a great list of items to the map.

Again, select “F1†and double click on the map. Place a second soldier on the map near to the first. Note a blue line is automatically drawn from the leader to the subordinate.

Now select “F2 Groupsâ€. Now you can drag the blue line away so he is no longer subordinate.

Now select "F1". You can no longer drag the blue line around. If you are not currently in “F2 Groups†mode you cannot drag the blue lines around at all.

Select “F4†and place 3 waypoints on the map. Now select “Preview†and have your soldier walk from one waypoint to the next.

Exit and return to the Edit screen. Now double click on each waypoint. The screen opens and you can give each waypoint a name. Now hit Preview and again walk the soldier through the 3 waypoints. Note the names on the screen.

Again, select “F1†and double click on the map. Place an Opforce soldier on the map.

There are now 2 x Blue Force soldiers and 1 x Opforce soldier on the map. Now click on each of the 3 soldiers on the map and give each a name. Blue1 Blue2 and Red1 will do as names.

Now we are going to create triggers to end the scenario.

The first ending is that you have killed the Opforce soldier.

Select “F3 Triggers†and double click on the map.

Name this trigger “Opforce_killedâ€

From the drop down select “ending 1â€

In the cell named “ Condition" type (!alive Red1) including the brackets

The second ending is that you are killed

Name this trigger “I_Am_killedâ€

From the drop down select “ending 2â€

In the cell named “ Condition" type (!alive Blue1) including the brackets

The third ending is that the mission ends after 2 minutes.

Name this trigger “Out_Of_Timeâ€

From the drop down select “ending 3â€

In the cell named “ Condition" type time > 120

Now avoid that Opfprce soldier for 2 mins and the mission ends

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

A bit on triggers

===========

Present: For example if a Blue force soldier enters the area

Not Present: For example if a Blue force soldier starts in the area. The trigger fires if he leaves the area.

Detected By: For example, a red force soldier who may or may not start in the area detects that a Blue force soldier enter the area of the trigger then the trigger fires.

A bit on Synching

= = = = = = = = =

Place yourself on the map in a place where you can watch the action.

Place 2 more men on the map

Give each man some waypoints.

For man 1: Waypoint 1 is 50 meters to his front: Waypoint 2 is 100 meters further on: Waypoint 3 is 50 meters further on: Waypoint 4 is 50 meters further on for a total of 250 meters

For man 2: Waypoint 1 is 100 meters to his front: Waypoint 2 is 50 meters further on: Waypoint 3 is 50 meters further on: Waypoint 4 is 50 meters further on for a total of 250 meters

Now Synch both of the waypoint 1's to each other and Synch both of the waypoint 3's to each other

Both men start together but man 1 reaches his waypoint 1 first. Because they are Synched, he will stop and wait till man 2 has reached his first waypoint. Then with man 2 having a 50 meter lead they both continue to both their waypoints 2 and then onto their Waypoints 3.

At which point man 2 will stop and wait till Man 1 has reached his Waypoint 3.

Then both men will continue and reach Waypoint 4 at the same time.

SET UNIT STANCE

= = = = = = = = = = = =

For this to work each unit must have a name.

FRED setUnitPos “DOWN†- unit goes prone

JACK setUnitPos “UP†- unit stands up

HARRY setUnitPos “MIDDLE†- unit kneels

REMOVE WEAPONS, REMOVE OTHER EQUIPMENT ADD WEAPONS AND ADD OTHER EQUIPMENT

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

removeAllWeapons this; {this addMagazine "20Rnd_762x51_B_SCAR"} forEach [1,2,3,4,5,6]; this addWeapon "SCAR_H_CQC_CCO"; {this addMagazine "HandGrenade_West"} forEach [1,2,3,4,5,6]; this removeWeapon "itemGPS"; this addWeapon "Binocular_Vector"

Example 2

------------------

removeAllitems this; removeAllWeapons this;

Example 3

------------------

this addWeapon "Binocular"; {this addMagazine "Handgrenade_East"} forEach [1,2,3,4]

THE MORTAR UNIT

= = == = = = = = = = =

{this addMagazine "8Rnd_81mmHE_M252"} forEach [1,2,3,4,5]

DELETE COPY AND PASTE

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

To delete a unit: select the unit, make sure the mouse remains centred over the unit, then hit Delete

To copy a unit: Select the unit and Ctrl C

To paste a unit. Ctrl V. It will be stacked with the original unit. Move one to separate them.

How to make an object appear in a random location on a map

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Place a series of markers on the map

Place an object (such as a chair) on the map

Select F2 group mode.

Group the chair with all of the markers.

Every time the mission starts, the chair will start at random in its original location or on one of the markers.

In Group mode you cannot see the markers. Select the chair and drag the group line near to the marker location. Move the mouse about till you find the marker.

How to make a trip flare

In a trigger in the field named On Activation type this:

flare = "F_40mm_White" createVehicle [getPos (thislist select 0) select 0, getPos (thislist select 0) select 1,150];

Typing in the “init†line

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

place cursor in text and hit F1 and see a description

F2 Groups

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

drag line from one subordinate to the leader

now drag a line from the second subordinate to the first subordinate and we find that the second subordinate is actually grouped with the leader

A trigger to detect if all 3 units are destroyed

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The 3 units are named

tung1

tung2

tung3

In the Condition cell type:

!(alive tung1) && !(alive tung2) && !(alive tung3)

Just steer clear of the bits of sqs examples (what little there are), and focus on sqf syntax. sqs can still be used, but it's obsolete even since A1.

That's something I don't understand, SQS are supposed to be obsolete but they still could be found in the game. I've found a bunch of them who were created by the game developer while I unpbo the game addons.:confused:

-;2267272']That's something I don't understand' date=' SQS are supposed to be obsolete but they still could be found in the game. I've found a bunch of them who were created by the game developer while I unpbo the game addons.:confused:[/quote']

Well, I'm not a guru, I just know most community scripts are done in sqf. I'm sure there may be some menial tasks that have to be done in sqs at some point in time.For whatever reason.

Well, I'm not a guru, I just know most community scripts are done in sqf. I'm sure there may be some menial tasks that have to be done in sqs at some point in time.For whatever reason.

I know that but I just find that it's weird how people think sqs are obsolete while game developer still used them making this game. I'm not trying to start a sqs vs sqf debate here, it's just that I find it weird how people are telling others how sqs are obsolete while game developer are still used them making this game we all love. That's all. That's probably down to the fact that most people playing ARMA 2 have never played OFP, I don't know.

Well, there are a lot of "new" arma scripters, who maybe didn't infact play ofp. So, it's like a common community thing i think, to use sqf. Aside from that, I'm sure there is a good reason why sqf is most common. But also, there are still some things that maybe better done by sqs, or maybe.... the person writing the code just likes to use sqs for certain things? idk, in any case, the OP, being new, should not go against the grain. he should just fall in with the majority and learn to primarily script in sqf. Not like hes NOT gonna get told to "use SQF" in every post anyhow haha

my 2c :cool: