ollem

TPWCAS - TPWC AI Suppression System

well i did a test mission in editor, in the readme it says place the init line into the init of any object on the map. i copied the tpwcas folder into the mission folder. actually i also tested to not put the tpwcas folder into the mission folder, got the error message that it was not found. exported to MP missions, took null = [3] ( cause i wanted to try on dedicated server) .. added the debug entry in userconfig..uploaded the tpwcas folder also into the server's userconfig folder.. nothing happens..no hintbox (that i enabled aswell in userconfig) ..nothing..

Hey Ollem, how does the latest TPWCAS handle HC clients? Should the mod be run on the dedicated server, on the HC, or on both?

Good question: in case of HC the mod should run on both server and HC, independent of chosen mode (so for both tpwcas_mode 2 and 3).

Hello there, I have been testing this in Arma 3 Alpha...

I have only been running the tpwcas mod in my sp games and so far im not getting any script errors. I enabled the debug markers and such and I dont see any bubbles over any heads or any thing. or any of the other debug effects.. There's so may .rpt errors just from it being alpha I cant tell if there is anything going on there.

I think the AI are Much better then the ai in A2/OA, however, I think tpwcas needs to be pored over to help, especially with ai suppression.

Edited by Lordprimate

Hello there, I have been testing this in Arma 3 Alpha...

I have only been running the tpwcas mod in my sp games and so far im not getting any script errors. I enabled the debug markers and such and I dont see any bubbles over any heads or any thing. or any of the other debug effects.. There's so may .rpt errors just from it being alpha I cant tell if there is anything going on there.

I think the AI are Much better then the ai in A2/OA, however, I think tpwcas needs to be pored over to help, especially with ai suppression.

It's my intention to port TPWCAS to ArmA3 Alpha on short notice.

Unfortunately I've used a scripting feature called 'lazy evaluation' which hasn't been implemented in A3 yet.

The "lazy evaluation" feature was added to ArmA2 script engine about half a year ago.

ACRE and CBA are also highly dependent on BIS re-adding this feature.

Without this it takes quite some time to rewrite all scripts, making them less efficient too.

Lazy eval is used to check multiple conditions, and as soon a condition returns false the remaining checks are stopped.

Without lazy eval we can expect a lot of script failures (and hence mod failures).

So it's really up to BIS now to fix this asap.

There is already a ticket for this: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=504

(Status is already 'high priority" and "assigned" but it won't hurt to 'vote up' if you haven't done so yet ;-) )

Here is a first A3 compatible Beta TPWCAS Script version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/96469595/tpwcas_a3_v0.1/tpwcas_a3_v01_script.zip

to use the script version:

- Save tpwcas dir and all the scripts in it to your mission directory.

- Call it with:

null = [3] execvm "tpwcas\tpwcas_script_init.sqf"

in your init.sqf or in the init of any object on the map.

Optionally you can run it with

null = [2] execvm "tpwcas\tpwcas_script_init.sqf"

to also activate suppression also on the clientside AI and players.

Player suppression has only been briefly tested: due to high-skilled AI in A3 its hard to tell if player visual suppression works or not :P

Any tpwcas parameters can be adjusted in "tpwcas_init.sqf" file

E.g. to enable debug: while the balls are stillmissing in A3 I had to use a different object :cool:

Details about tpwcas usage see tpwcas 4.5 readme

Known issues:

- no 'coloured debug smoke' for find cover

- find cover may need to be tweaked due to different object names to hind behind

Edited by Ollem

ARMA2 / invasion44 /TPWCAS 4.5 + ASR_AI 1.16.1

I had bits of trouble with units behind windows, or in foxhole positions, when after suppression recovery, they won´t get up to previous stance again. I´m a noob scripter, but I figured I could solve my issues by not letting units go to "auto" mode after recovery and replaced the code part starting at line 74 in tpwcas_mainloop.sqf, with two seperate if-then statements.

Original:

//RESET UNIT STANCE

_stance = _unit getvariable ["tpwcas_stance", -1];

if (_stance in ["middle","down"]) then

{

_unit setunitpos "auto";

_unit setvariable ["tpwcas_stance", "auto"];

};

Edited:

//RESET UNIT STANCE

_stance = _unit getvariable ["tpwcas_stance", -1];

if (_stance in ["down"]) then

{

_unit setunitpos "middle";

_unit setvariable ["tpwcas_stance", "middle"];

};

if (_stance in ["middle"]) then

{

_unit setunitpos "up";

_unit setvariable ["tpwcas_stance", "up"];

};

Other question: Does the 10m bullet detect radius more have a technical necessity? I figured that a 5m radius would be a better, or say, more realistic detection radius, since I find a bullet 10m away, shouldn´t bother a soldier that much as some just 5m away or within. I tested with this setting in tpwcas_bdetect.sqf line 42 and also tweaked tpwcas_st = 5 in tpwcas_init.sqf, to allow quicker suppression with less bullets in closer proximity only.

As said, I´m noob scripter, so I might miss some finer points in all of the mod, but liked to share some ideas for user customization.

Hi Ollem!

Nice to see it in ArmA3, too.

Good job, thanks for your everlasting effort.

Cheers

McLupo

in my few tests last night it sees to be working.. the ai search or cover a bit better (AI break formation when enguaged prior tests they stayed in wedge!)

suppression effects work!! looks nice!

And i see the baskets over the AI's head when there suppressed. I don't however see any other debug markers .. is the fruit basket the only one!! lol

Edit: I had debug set to 1 so only baskets over the head ill set it to 2 to see all debug markers

Edited by Lordprimate

Downloading! And will test on Dedicated MP :)

+1 and thanks a lot for this Ollem

Implemented into my still in Beta Team mission..

Certainly works on a dedicated server, the AI break ranks and head for cover straight away, even saw one of them seemingly push another AI out of his covering position.. I was WTF!

Probably just some form of glitch, was funny though!

I am using in conjunction with UPSMON and using the fortify feature of UPSMON, it seemed that the AI were ducking below windows etc when fortifying a building!

Great work so far mate..

ARMA2 / invasion44 /TPWCAS 4.5 + ASR_AI 1.16.1

I had bits of trouble with units behind windows, or in foxhole positions, when after suppression recovery, they won´t get up to previous stance again. I´m a noob scripter, but I figured I could solve my issues by not letting units go to "auto" mode after recovery....

Other question: Does the 10m bullet detect radius more have a technical necessity? I figured that a 5m radius would be a better, or say, more realistic detection radius, since I find a bullet 10m away, shouldn´t bother a soldier that much as some just 5m away or within. I tested with this setting in tpwcas_bdetect.sqf line 42 and also tweaked tpwcas_st = 5 in tpwcas_init.sqf, to allow quicker suppression with less bullets in closer proximity only.

You've made two valid points, but I'll try to explain why it is like it is now.

- I do understand the issue you are facing, but If you force a unit to stay in "middle" or "up" position this may interfere in a negative way with the default AI behavior.

However, if you're modification doesn't seem to have impact on the other AI, please let me know and I will consider the proposed change.

- The default 10 m radius is actually a radius and not a 'perpendicular bullet zone' around the suppressed unit.

Bullets fly at high speed and the progress is measured at small intervals.

Suppose a bullet would fly at 20 cm past the head of the AI: it would be pure luck if the distance measurement was exactly at the moment the bullet was closest to the head.

More likely the measurement moment is e.g. while the bullet is 5m in front of the AI or 3m behind the AI.

So the chances the bullet is measured at 10m sideways of the AI is very limited.

If you enable debug you will see the detected bullet distance measured to the AI in the log file (search for "CLOSE BULLET")

Using good old sin/cos/tan measurement it's possible to measure the actual perpendicular distance of the bullet ( I actually created this piece of code in the early stages of TPWCAS but somehow it didn't made it into the final release).

Not sure if it's really worth to have the additional (quite limited) calculation overhead but will consider adding this again.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Nice to see it in ArmA3, too.

Good job, thanks for your everlasting effort.

suppression effects work!! looks nice!

+1 and thanks a lot for this Ollem

I am using in conjunction with UPSMON and using the fortify feature of UPSMON, it seemed that the AI were ducking below windows etc when fortifying a building!

Great work so far mate..

yw - thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

And i see the baskets over the AI's head when there suppressed. I don't however see any other debug markers .. is the fruit basket the only one!! lol

Edit: I had debug set to 1 so only baskets over the head ill set it to 2 to see all debug markers

As mentioned in the start post it's a known issue the colored debug smoke I used in Arma 2 for find cover debug purposes unfortunatley somehow doesn't work in Arma 3.

Also the flagpoles aren't available and I had to replce it by a smaller black/white flag, which is a bit harder to see.

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

does the arma 3 script version require CBA A3?

In MultiPlayer CBA is actually only needed for the debug effects I think, but best to use CBA.

Singleplayer uses CBA perFrameEventHandler so there CBA is needed for sure.

(which reminds me to put a CBA check in the script version to use MP-alternative solution just-iin-case)

I'm using it ATM without CBA running on servers and it doesn't seem to cause any issues (obviously with debug off).

The extreme 'bravery' of AI soldiers in advancing oblivious to deadly showers of bullets in vanilla is one of the things I have found frustrating about Arma 2.

But on the other hand, the fact that the AI are hard to suppress makes them rather good at flanking and advancing on your position.

Watching the #1 video in the first page, I'm wondering: to what extent does the AI 'do well' with this mod running? It looks like that 'battle' in the starting video was along the lines of:

1. Engagement initiates with enemies at or slightly beyond limits of eyeball sighting

2. Human player tells his AI squad mates to use suppressive fire and then uses optics to spot enemies

3. AI friendlies unleash on AI hostiles, causing them to take cover (a very realistic effect! and _so_ much better than vanilla)

4. Otherwise vanilla AI cannot cope with the situation. The engagement is now lost as the vanilla AI has no way to 'recover' from being suppressed.

5. AI hostiles are wiped out as AI friendlies relentlessly suppress and cap them

In honesty, that does seem a lot more like how you would expect a real firefight to play out. The side that gets the early detection and ability to suppress the enemy should have a distinct advantage. Obviously it will play out differently in different terrains where not the entire hostile force is visible and walking direction across the FOV of the friendly squad. Just wondering if it seems to make the game overall easier, overall harder or a bit of both?

Definitely gonna DL this one and try it with my favorite SP mission "Lost" (which is a geurilla / survival mission that really is more like a 'campaign' in that you start alone and have to build up a force and progressively take over an entire island) as the use of ambushes, scouting and surprise are a big part of that mission and I can see more effective suppression working fantastic in that.

If allowing the played to FINALLY utilize suppression-flanking tactics makes the game easier, then yes, TPWCAS does make the game easier, but only for one who knows how to utilize suppression effect to his advantage.

The side that gets the early detection and ability to suppress the enemy should have a distinct advantage. Obviously it will play out differently in different terrains where not the entire hostile force is visible and walking direction across the FOV of the friendly squad. Just wondering if it seems to make the game overall easier, overall harder or a bit of both?

Personally I think a bit of both: the AI will be surpressed, but while they drop and try to take cover they will be harder to hit.

If you believe it makes the game too easy, just tune some of the config parameters.

E..g. the default setting will reduce the skill of the AI while being supressed.

This can be disabled or the lowest value to which AI skill can drop could be increased.

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Looking forward to seeing an addon version for A3 soon, mate. :) Ta for your hard work.

I'll try to release mod version before next weekend.

Edited by Ollem
Did not make it for this weekend - should be next weekend now - so message can stay the same :P

Have been playing with this mod on Veteran-ish difficulty both in SP and on the Comrades in Arms Coop server and it definitely gets my 100% approval!

This mod makes AI response to fire MUCH more realistic, but not to the point where a few bullets will immobilize them prone and unable to respond. They are still good at responding, avoiding fire, flanking, etc., it is just effective now to actually cause them to get their heads down!

Bravo Ollem!!

Hi, just a heads up that AI are sometimes getting stuck in the "target in the air" stance when being suppressed in the A3 beta.

Hi, just a heads up that AI are sometimes getting stuck in the "target in the air" stance when being suppressed in the A3 beta.

Well the same applies to Arma 2 They seem to do this if there is really much heavy fire going over their heads.

Well the same applies to Arma 2 They seem to do this if there is really much heavy fire going over their heads.

Well I haven't played Arma 2 since well you know.... but I don't remember it being this bad. I'm trying to create a small video to better show off how the suppression PP effect is not all that intrusive so in my demo it's just me against one guy. I fire a few single shots around him and he goes straight up to the sky for maybe 30 seconds or so.

Well I haven't played Arma 2 since well you know.... but I don't remember it being this bad. I'm trying to create a small video to better show off how the suppression PP effect is not all that intrusive so in my demo it's just me against one guy. I fire a few single shots around him and he goes straight up to the sky for maybe 30 seconds or so.

Same here - arma2 must be still around somewhere on my pc but haven't touched it since arma3

We've been using tpwcas in a lot of A3 missions already and nobody reported the shooting straight up to the sky, and I haven't seen it myslef either.

Only thing I can think of is skill dropped too low?