ollem

TPWCAS - TPWC AI Suppression System

We've been using tpwcas in a lot of A3 missions

Wait, what? Is TPWCAS works as is in Arma 3?

Script version only, at the moment. Hopefully Ollem will be able to get an addon version out when he gets a bit 'o spare time.

Script version only, at the moment. Hopefully Ollem will be able to get an addon version out when he gets a bit 'o spare time.

I lost a heartbeat there lol... Thanks, looking forward to it!!

We've been using tpwcas in a lot of A3 missions already and nobody reported the shooting straight up to the sky, and I haven't seen it myslef either.

Only thing I can think of is skill dropped too low?

Hmm, yeah it is strange as I have a whole ground level mission in which I don't see this at all -it only seems to happen on that test mission where the units are on a very steep side of a mountain at high elevation...:confused:

Hmm, yeah it is strange as I have a whole ground level mission in which I don't see this at all -it only seems to happen on that test mission where the units are on a very steep side of a mountain at high elevation...:confused:

Pretty sure this was a known issue with AI in A2 as well... they just don't like steep slopes very much.

I don't suppose there would be a way to make the number of shots required to suppress a unit based on its skill would there? Maybe with some random variance.

I have a question; I am currently using TPWCAS and TPWLOS but as separate addons. What I wanted to know was if there was any benefit to enabling TPWLOS in the TPWCAS configuration file. I figure if they're not embedded they're both running separately, no? Or is TPWCAS overwriting and nixing TPWLOS unless I enable the setting?

EDIT: Also, if I use this offline for single player missions but the configuration is currently set tpwcas_mode = 3, does it have any effect that's different than setting it to 1 for single player? I'm guessing here that setting it to 1 enables the player and AI to feel the effects universally, but setting it to 3 only means the AI will feel the effects from human players?

Edited by Foffy

Currently there is no "suppressed" eventhandler in the game engine, so TPWCAS aims to mimic one by constantly monitoring whether any active bullet/shell projectile objects have units within a 10m radius. This allows TPWCAS to work for any opfor, blufor or independent on the map, whether editor-placed or spawned.

Is there a way to reduce the suppression radius? I can't find or figure out which setting it is in the init file and 10m is a LOT.

Thanks!

MacScottie, It use to be a variable, hasn't been for a while. as it was explained to me. Its a matter of being able to detect the bullets.. and it was stated 10m was used to ensure that most of the bullets were being accounted for that were hitting near the said unit. At the time it was editable I had it set at 6-8m(forget which exactly) and found that i got the effect i wanted. Its gotta be somewhere in there, hard coded, you just have to dig for it, I havent tried recently, as i think 10m is ok/works fine.

Ollem, thanks for the response.

I didn't QUITE understand it, so tell me if I'm following what you said in that post:

Basically you're saying that the radius has to be 10m because otherwise the bullet may not be "caught" and "detected" by the script, so it could potentially take more rounds for the suppression to go into effect because some bullets will travel through a smaller zone before being detected?

It can do if the mission contains numerous enemies.

But IMHO its well worth the hit.

I have a question about enabling the CAS files. Within the userconfig, it mentions initializing which CAS mode is used unless it is specifically defined. Instead of tampering between values for offline and online play, how exactly do I set it up to automatically define it? Is that possible?

Ollem, thanks for the response.

I didn't QUITE understand it, so tell me if I'm following what you said in that post:

Basically you're saying that the radius has to be 10m because otherwise the bullet may not be "caught" and "detected" by the script, so it could potentially take more rounds for the suppression to go into effect because some bullets will travel through a smaller zone before being detected?

That's correct.

I have a question about enabling the CAS files. Within the userconfig, it mentions initializing which CAS mode is used unless it is specifically defined. Instead of tampering between values for offline and online play, how exactly do I set it up to automatically define it? Is that possible?

If you talk about offline mode, do you mean single player mode?

Single player is detected automatically and the defined TPWCAS mode is ignored automatically in that case.

If you talk about offline mode, do you mean single player mode?

Single player is detected automatically and the defined TPWCAS mode is ignored automatically in that case.

So if I set the mode to 2 for multiplayer/online, the singleplayer/offline stuff is automatically enabled? So I get TPWCAS working similarly both offline and online for single and multiplayer?

During some random testing, I noticed that a group of RPG gunners engaging an armoured target will often supress themselves. Not sure whether its intended, just one of the many, many interesting situations I came across in this mod. :D

Hey, first of all: AWESOME MOD/SCRIPT. :D

This really did enhance the experience (especially in A3).

However, i noticed that when i was using Weapons from Mods (the R3F Weapons Pack in this Case) that the AI didnt react as they did with the Vanilla Weapons. Is there any Array or List where i'd have to add their Classnames or is it something with Mod?

If my server runs the addon version, but for a mission I need to change some vars (for example, minskill when suppressed), how I can change them but just for the specific mission without editing the server itself?

I tried putting tpwcas_minskill = 0.5; in the init.sqf but it doesn't change in the RPT file, so maybe it's changed but not reported in the debug? I don't know :D

Thanks

Edited by NacroxNicke

However, i noticed that when i was using Weapons from Mods (the R3F Weapons Pack in this Case) that the AI didnt react as they did with the Vanilla Weapons. Is there any Array or List where i'd have to add their Classnames or is it something with Mod?

They should work I would say - I will have a look at it

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

how I can change them but just for the specific mission without editing the server itself

The userconfig file settings overrule mission settings.

You could try adding it to init.sqf as last statement after a "sleep 20;" command?

Or use some other way to set this variable later.

(you also need to run "publicVariable tpwcas_minskill;" in case of tpwcas_mode 2 )

Hows things coming along for Arma 3? :)

Recently been noticing that the script version (0.1 I believe) has been doing some strange things to AI -namely, giving them orders ie. Wait/Hold/Move/Ready and generally making it pretty tough to keep them on a leash. When I disable TPWCAS, which I loathe to do, it does go away. Anyone else having this problem? I also may be wrong on this but I suspect it happens more when the Ai is injured

You mean AI in your group, under your control?

They do that if they come under fire. they pick a cover position and stick there until you regroup them

You mean AI in your group, under your control?

They do that if they come under fire. they pick a cover position and stick there until you regroup them

Yes but it seems like currently it sometimes breaks -as in, the units get stuck and don't respond well to Return to Formation type commands. It never used to happen so maybe it is the more recent Dev updates to blame but it's definitely there.