Sign in to follow this  
moach_mayhem

how to get rid of the map position crosshairs when in helicopter

hi,

quick quesiton - which sadly, figuring the answer hasn't been quick at all.. :p

how could i hide that black crosshairs thingy that shows your position on the map view when you're flying a chopper?

i can hide the players position while on foot, by simply removing the GPS item....

yet, once aboard the helicopter, the undesired "you are here" indicator appears right back, regardless of my many attempts to suppress that...

the concept was to provide a truly VFR flight experience... but alas, if checking the map comes across as an insta-spoiler device, showing your precise position in real time, it kinda defeats the purpose of trying to offer a challenge of looking for visual reference points and navigating by the scenery features around you :(

and that really does detract a substantially meaningful deal from my intended mission - so please help....

if there's no easy script command for this -- then where among the zillions of configs and resources could i find that one little entry that makes the infamous crosshair invisible when inside a vehicle? :butbut:

i thank you greatly in advance :rolleyes:

I've been poking around this just now, and I've noticed something interesting.

If you remove the GPS from a unit on foot, his position isn't shown on the map, because you need a GPS for that. However, it seems when you're in a helicopter, you are automatically given a GPS again, and unless you completely forbid GPSes by setting showGPS = 0 in the description.ext, you still get to use the GPS (and still see your own position) while in a helicopter.

What I'm trying to find now is if there is a way to remove this 'free' GPS from the vehicle. I think there's a good chance the 'free gps' and the map crosshair are actually a single issue.

Does anyone know if there's a way to disable the in-vehicle GPS, without setting the showGPS to 0 in the description.ext (and removing all GPSes completely)?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

This is something I'm struggling with as well. Just for kicks I tried using "showgps = 0" but the crosshairs and map still exist, it's just the GPS unit just goes away. So as far as I know this isn't possible, which seems absurd. Changing difficultly to Expert doesn't even do anything.

dredging through configs, i managed to locate a single enableGPS=1 entry for most vehicles that looks like the key to toggling the forced GPS/MAP condition....

alas, it is not accessible at mission level by the .ext file... this will require a PBO mod approach in order to override this value...

seems a mission-support addon is the way to go... if anything, this would allow one to bypass whatever limitations encountered that would otherwise require kludgy workarounds...

let's see, then...

cheers!

PLEASE make this add-on! Orienteering without map-GPS would be a lot of fun. If you can figure out how to disable the yellow arrow on the compass that points to your next waypoint as well, it would be doubly great.

the yellow arrow is simply a matter of not assigning yourself a waypoint...

as for that pesky vehicle indicator - i cannot seem to get it to go away.... enableGPS=0 proved of very little effect...

this may require larger guns, as in hacking the map display itself... should be doable, but there's little info on where to start