Sign in to follow this  
DnA

December 2012 status update

Lads,

the personal attacks, flame-baiting and spamming in here stops now.

Else certain people will be removed from the thread permanently.

Your call.

Hint from the last AMD Catalyst Application Profiles 12.11 CAP2 (December 3)

</application>

<application Title="ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead" File="arma2OA.exe">

<use Area="PXDynamic">HighPerfGPUAffinity</use>

</application>

<application Title="ArmA 3" File="arma3.exe">

<use Area="PXDynamic">HighPerfGPUAffinity</use>

</application>

ARMA 3 was on Nvidia's driver profile even before the ARG.

That's a good sign to see that both SLI and Crossfire would (hopefully) be workable when the community alpha appears... ya know, even for those who us who don't use them, since it suggests "NVIDIA and AMD will be on the ball"!

Not going to lie, it's been pretty quiet in terms of visual updates recently

But progress is progress I guess

Keep up the good work guys, you are doing an amazing job. It would be a shame to rush the release date at the cost of game features

You know, personally I'd LIKE to hear updates about Ivan and Martin as they happen. I understand the hush hush involved, court case coming up and all that. But at the same time I am rooting for them. I'd be curious to know things like what kind of lawyers they have aquired for themselves (hopefully the worst, rabid, kind of lawyers), and if there's an actual court date yet. Also, why has this not seen the light of day in major media?? If Bill Gates got arrested doing something similar he'd have been out by now from all the bad press brought to bear on Greece if nothing else.

As for the lack of updates about A3.....I think the upcoming, eventual court case has pretty much put the brakes on this project. Would you want to make a product that might be involved in a court case and then later the court orders the core of said game to be changed or removed?

Personally I'm more worried about the guys getting out of stinking Greece. I'm going to boycott everything and anything greece in the meantime!!

Talk doesn't help when nobody listens. Instead, actions will speak louder than words ;) Regardless of what they (Greeks involved) did was right or wrong.

No matter what's the outcome, BI has made A3, A3 looks gorgeous, A3 is going to be next big thing. Even if BI gets forced to remove Greece from the game I'm sure there are a lot of messed up places in this world to put into games for the sake of fun. I for one would like to see all off the messed up Balkani countries in A3 - A virtual jihadi hunting game! Maybe in an expansion or a mod if nothing else :p

Truth be told, Greece is a boring place, it's not that beautiful either as many portray it IMHO:j:

Maybe a rename of the country would do the job (example A2 terrains) Greekhistan anyone? LOL

Anyway, this topic is forbidden guys, so we better not discuss it.

Edited by MAVEN

@Streaks

§1) No Flaming/Flame-baiting/bigotry

Abusive, racist, sexist, homophobic comments (or any other type of bigotry), personal attacks and name calling are not allowed either on the forum or through PM's. If you receive a PM that is abusive or you find offensive please forward it to a moderator who will investigate.

Flame-baiting is also not tolerated; flame-baiting is making a post to someone that is obviously intended to elicit an angry response. Mocking/teasing/ridiculing someone or the point someone wants to make is also flamebaiting. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles, messages posted in social groups, as well as quoting someone against their wishes in your signature to belittle/tease/mock them. If someone asks you to remove something they posted on the forum from your signature you must remove it. Common sense tells you that posting someone's PMs without permission is also flamebaiting and will be punished.

Your last note about greece is inacceptable.

You know, personally I'd LIKE to hear updates about Ivan and Martin as they happen. I understand the hush hush involved, court case coming up and all that. But at the same time I am rooting for them. I'd be curious to know things like what kind of lawyers they have aquired for themselves (hopefully the worst, rabid, kind of lawyers), and if there's an actual court date yet. Also, why has this not seen the light of day in major media?? If Bill Gates got arrested doing something similar he'd have been out by now from all the bad press brought to bear on Greece if nothing else.

Read all about it on www.helpivanmartin.org we post updates as they happen. browse around there and you'll find letters from ivan to the community and more.

Keep up the good work guys, you are doing an amazing job. It would be a shame to rush the release date at the cost of game features
You know, I actually find it really, really comforting (about Arma's reputation) that the "outside of the community" comments response tends to be this -- "better to delay and be a better game at release, than to be rushed out and be low-quality! If the delay results in a better game, go ahead!" :D

Then again, I suppose in these non-Arma fans' minds, "Arma 2" is the reason they feel that way... :rolleyes: (That is, they don't like Arma 2, they like what they saw of Arma 3, and they feel that if BI needs more time to make Arma 3 stay as good as it looked at E3/Gamescom, then better to take as long as needed)

You know, I actually find it really, really comforting (about Arma's reputation) that the "outside of the community" comments response tends to be this -- "better to delay and be a better game at release, than to be rushed out and be low-quality! If the delay results in a better game, go ahead!" :D

Then again, I suppose in these non-Arma fans' minds, "Arma 2" is the reason they feel that way... :rolleyes: (That is, they don't like Arma 2, they like what they saw of Arma 3, and they feel that if BI needs more time to make Arma 3 stay as good as it looked at E3/Gamescom, then better to take as long as needed)

I feel the same way with ARMA 3. It can take as long as it needs to take. Well, I feel that way to many video games. I don't tend to be in a rush to want anything. I can enjoy ARMA 2 for a long long time, many addons to go, many missions to play, many more missions that I see of different diversity to make, its endless :P .

Guess most people would have expect some new ingame pictures or even a cutscene from A3. Is there really nothing to show + say from A3 development or is all work on A3 temporarily stopped until DayZ is done/released?

I believe stand alone day-Z is one of the main reasons.... sadly, i have to admit i hate zombies....

here: http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/36771692833/dev-report-november-2012

here si explained many of the features of dayz standalone, are the ones that should be innovative in Arma 3.... i begin to think, arma3 will have the same destiny of operation flashpoint 2 (never published)

Edited by Simon1279

I believe stand alone day-Z is one of the main reasons.... sadly, i have to admit i hate zombies....

here si explained many of the features of dayz standalone, are the ones that should be innovative in Arma 3.... i begin to think, arma3 will have the same destiny of operation flashpoint 2 (never published)

Me too, I understand the DayZ concept, teamplay is awesome, there are a lot of emotions involved when you play with other players and try to survive, but zombies kind of suck. Perhaps if those zombies were changed for some guerrillas that would be an epic awesome.

Anyway. BI did a great thing when they split DayZ from ArmA 2, this is a good thing because DayZ players and A2 players won't end up fighting over territory, and on top of that DayZ sales will help BI buy new hardware, hire new staff, etc, which eventually leads to even better ArmA releases.

They should have however developed DayZ as a separate game from the very beginning.

Me too, I understand the DayZ concept, teamplay is awesome, there are a lot of emotions involved when you play with other players and try to survive, but zombies kind of suck. Perhaps if those zombies were changed for some guerrillas that would be an epic awesome.

Anyway. BI did a great thing when they split DayZ from ArmA 2, this is a good thing because DayZ players and A2 players won't end up fighting over territory, and on top of that DayZ sales will help BI buy new hardware, hire new staff, etc, which eventually leads to even better ArmA releases.

They should have however developed DayZ as a separate game from the very beginning.

They couldn´t, because it wasn´t their game, and -nobody- expected it to fly the way it did. It was Rockets brainchild, and he did the work on the initial mod completely without input from BI's side. They only picked up DayZ once it was clear that they were on to something, and gave Rocket the resources to build a standalone.

Operation flashpoint 2 was published. But not by BI.

Anyways, the features of DayZ are largely irrelevant for the gameplay concept of Arma 3. What they are essentially doing is building an mmo-game back end. Arma 3 is not an mmo. Plus, as long as the greek situation persists, I doubt BI will be able to focus on A3 as well as they´d like to. I am afraid that Arma 3 might be published, but that we will see another massive change away from the current setting because of political pressure: similar to the fate of that fallujah shooter.

All in all, I think the problem is what happened in greece, and not any internal problems with the game.

So, it will be published, but right now I am afraid that it won´t be what we expect it to be right now. But in the end, that´s speculation, and without an inside perspective, it will remain that way.

Edited by InstaGoat

operation flashpoint 2 was indeed never published nor finished

Anyways, the features of DayZ are largely irrelevant for the gameplay concept of Arma 3. What they are essentially doing is building an mmo-game back end. Arma 3 is not an mmo.
This is pretty much one of the reasons why the franchises are definitively being split, and why a standalone is happening -- development path-wise, it seems Rocket made the choice that "DayZ has to be a MMO, and its concept is narrow enough that its engine doesn't have to accommodate 'openness' and modding like Arma does".

Operation flashpoint 2... originally before codies left BI, from what I've researched up, wasn't it suppose to be some kinda OFP Vietnam but the idea got scrapped?

Nope, that's not OFP2, That's Dragon Rising.

This is what OFP2 was (or Game2 as I've heard it called)

XaIPhpvFPxM

A google search led me to a random forum with some screenshots:

http://forumdefesa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2118#p21125

A lot of ArmA 2 content in there as you can see.

I have somehow positive gut feeling of Arma 3 despite of the delays. I understand that the situation in Greece is causing problems and delays, but I'm sure that Ivan and Martin will be released soon. I don't believe that Limnos would be removed from the game. The game is being delayed, maybe because of that, but on the other hand, devs have more time to finish and polish their baby now. The lack of sneak peek stuff or reports "from the field" doesn't mean that they're just drinking coffee and chattering there. :)

OFP2, has long been listed I believe as GAME2, and I believe GAME2 is basically ARMA2.

BI came up with ARMA1 in between OFP and GAME2, initially basically as an OFP 1.5, but I think it grew beyond that.