Sign in to follow this  
DnA

December 2012 status update

So much QQing in here.

Seriously you guys need to go outside and ride a bike or something. Just be thankful that dayz gives the the financial ability to postpone the game.. who here remembers arma 1 1.0? (and arma 2 1.0 actually)

I'll probably getting dayZ standalone for this... just for a sneakpeak on how the ARMA3 animation will be... I think remember reading somewhere that dayZ is kinda ARMA 2.5 or something

I'll probably getting dayZ standalone for this... just for a sneakpeak on how the ARMA3 animation will be... I think remember reading somewhere that dayZ is kinda ARMA 2.5 or something

Not sure if it will have the ArmA3 animation system though. If it does, then I'd like for them to patch that into ArmA2 lol.

Silence apart from announcement of announcement, community alpha nowhere on the horizon, E3 infantry video being more than 6 months late and ArmA3 project lead leaving aren't exactly reassuring events.

I just hope this isn't a sign of ArmA1-like trainwreck where everything went silent and then a completely redesigned (and subpar) game surfaced.

And the new project lead was one of the BI guys from during that time? Oh boy... (Though I remember someone with a forums signature quoting Maruk as saying that Arma 1 was not a labor of love.)

Seriously though, the E3 infantry video was de facto cancelled, I recall Jay saying that the planning for Gamescom had preempted it and the helicopter showcase -- though for me the Gamescom and GameStar videos thereof more than made up -- and plenty of us have been assuming that the community alpha was disrupted by Ivan and Martin's absence so it being nowhere on the horizon isn't a surprise by now... a specific reason why is what's desired at this point.

Paraphrasing antoineflemming here: assume vaporware and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out otherwise. If you can't move on because you can only play milsim... well, that's why you're a captive audience :D

Not sure if it will have the ArmA3 animation system though. If it does, then I'd like for them to patch that into ArmA2 lol.

It doesn't have ARMA 3 anims. It's still Real Virtuality 3. It's the Take on Helicopter engine.

I can absolutely and honestly understand why people are frustrated about the lack of info/imagery - I'm frustrated too. I've been looking forward to this game for more than 18 months, so the sudden radio silence sucks, plain and simple. At this point, a single screenshot of a ripe fruit falling off a tree on Limnos (PhysX style) would be pure fucking extasy.

However, I don't also don't see how whining about it and stomping my feet in righteous indignation will solve anything. It's up to BIS to develop the game on their own schedule and to release info about it whenever they feel it is appropriate. They don't owe me shit, so I have no right to demand anything and neither do any of you. It sucks, but that's how it is.

I'm not good with expressing my feelings via forum, so I'll just quote this and say how much I agree with everything that has just been said.

Have you ever thought about the fact, that all promotional activities are on hold, maybe because of what has happened with Ivan & Martin?

i can say (being 99.99% sure of this ) that if Both ivan and martin havent been arrested, screenies etc would have been released.

Hell, my promotional activities for ArmA3 are on hold since september..... So 1+1=2

But some people only calculate in their own advantage, and start whining if they aint getting their fix.

i have news for all of you whiners : DO YOU WANNA TRADE WITH MARTIN & IVAN, sitting in a shithole for 95 days without a reason?

They have the right on a speedy trial. Right on humane treatment and humane conditions. they have NONE OF THAT!

And here people whine coz they feel they have the right on some screenshots/alpha release ? how pathetic! -> go see a docter, as it seems your heart is made of stone.

Any-1 who doesnt agree, i dare you to continue the conversation on G+, as discussing here only results in a lot of work for the moderators, and your comments being removed...

KG1E2s.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if BIS has been advised by their legal team to suspend work on ArmA 3 until everything has been sorted in Greece.

this shows you know very little about how this sort of business is handled.

ArmA 3 development went to hell after two of their best developers went to prison, and I dont think it helped ArmA 3 in anyway by taking on another huge project like DayZ.

again, DayZ should have little to nothing to do with A3. Why does everyone hold on to their knickers over this?

again, DayZ should have little to nothing to do with A3. Why does everyone hold on to their knickers over this?

Half baked assumptions and clash of opinions are both founding elements of the ArmA 3 forum. But you probably don't know that since you are defending DayZ and probably only know of the ArmA series because of it. :bounce3:

Been a while since last update. But then again, it's reasonable.

My suggestion is don't rush the release, take as much time is needed but release a full product, something that will find its place in people's hearts just like ArmA 2 did despite the hundreds of bugs, low visuals and other things :)

I'm glad DayZ will be developed separately, this is a great opportunity for BI to get some extra money ;)

Can we have a screenshot-two or something? Maybe some renders so people can create fanart or have fun meantime until A3 is released instead of losing focus from A3 release?

It doesn't have ARMA 3 anims. It's still Real Virtuality 3. It's the Take on Helicopter engine.

That's what I thought. TOH is just a beefed up ArmA2 as far as engines go. Still would like the anims in ArmA2... one can wish i guess.

I got an eery feeling about Arma III. These bumps in the road and delays are certainly gonna hurt the fanbase (not the hardcore of course). Hopefully everything works out. Good luck BI, lets get our boys home as well.

Half baked assumptions and clash of opinions are both founding elements of the ArmA 3 forum. But you probably don't know that since you are defending DayZ and probably only know of the ArmA series because of it. :bounce3:

Of course, nothing quite like the black-white forum reality :yay:.

I'm not "defending DayZ". I haven't played it, as in not a single second. But i sort of don't understand why every time something regarding A3 (be it development features, the lack of info, or release date), all of it is DayZ fault...

I'm not "defending DayZ". I haven't played it, as in not a single second. But i sort of don't understand why every time something regarding A3 (be it development features, the lack of info, or release date), all of it is DayZ fault...

Well, that's precisely because of the lack of info.

so because there is a lack of information (most likely due to the greek issue), you assume right from the bat it is dayz that is to blame?

so because there is a lack of information (most likely due to the greek issue), you assume right from the bat it is dayz that is to blame?

People tend to make wild guesses when they don't get informed. For my part i don't care if ArmA3 is delayed and i don't think Dayz is to blame.

from http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/17/day-z-standalone/

RPS: And you are happy because you are the lead developer? How did BIS feel about that? Hall: I am the lead yes. Marek [bIS owner and Arma series director] has given me almost complete creative control over the project, and he’s been hugely supportive of the idea. The people we’ve got involved include Ondra Spanel, Marek’s brother, who was the lead programmer on BIS games back when the made Operation Flashpoint and Arma, so he’s the guy who made that engine. He and other original members of the Flashpoint team are actually returning to full-time development for Day Z. That’s a huge win for the project, and it means that the people who are working directly on the project are the most talented guys who could be working on it.
Who talented is left for other (new?) unreleased projects like A3? Any talented dev left to fix all/most of the bugs and issues in current games?? Did Ivan and Martin worked on A3 alone - where is the spirit, strenght and confidence? Where is the "soul & balls of OFP" or is it a bit more convenient to hang around in somekind of greek tragedy-stasis? What should Ivan and Martin think if they are back and the answer is "Uhmm.... we have been only waiting for you all the time - the A3 project didn't made any progress, it's like how you left it!!!" :confused:

I know man :), I was being ironic in my last statement :) You have been on the forum since 2007, 5 years before DayZ even came out.

It's because some people are bothered by the fact that DayZ (the mod) is more of a PVP with zombies than a "normal" ArmA mod and now it's more popular than the actual series and thus getting it's own dedicated dev. team. Which in essence is a silly thing to be bothered by. Firstly because no one has paid for ArmA 3, so complaining about a delay is silly and secondly, because they are now 2 different franchises and the whole "kiddie/COD/BF/whatever mainstream hacker" spillover will be over.

Hi, i wouldn't worry about the A3 future, sure that it'll come when it's ready; they've their schedule and are following it, or that's what it seems to me. What im worryed about is about the A3 features, like the animations, the interaction options, the controls and menus, the editor and it's usage; if it gonna be for fools or for geniuses with 18h hours x day to work on a MP mission. The campaign and game modes, the performance, the HDR as much as the animations; the HDR on the A2 & OA is a game breaking thing, there're many times of day where you can't do the missions because it don't works and is all that what i would like to know if it gonna change for good, gonna change a bit or don't really gonna change. They've their schedule and hurry 'em up could screw the project, i don't want a screwed up product, we've got EA for that; i want a really good product and that's what i would wish from BIS. Let 'em work. Let's C ya

I know man :), I was being ironic in my last statement :) You have been on the forum since 2007, 5 years before DayZ even came out.

It's because some people are bothered by the fact that DayZ (the mod) is more of a PVP with zombies than a "normal" ArmA mod and now it's more popular than the actual series and thus getting it's own dedicated dev. team. Which in essence is a silly thing to be bothered by. Firstly because no one has paid for ArmA 3, so complaining about a delay is silly and secondly, because they are now 2 different franchises and the whole "kiddie/COD/BF/whatever mainstream hacker" spillover will be over.

You know, thats the second time people think you are serious when being ironic (from what I know) maybe you should mention in the end that its just irony :p

On a more serious note.

I think its sad that dayz gets picked on all the time. I have played it and I enjoy it as I love zombie games and its pretty unique(except war Z). I also love Arma 2 and play it way more often than dayz. Arma 3 isnt delayed from what I can tell because of dayZ. Making a game is a hard bussiness, even more for a smaller studio like BI, its not just straight forward and they can and will face problems they might not be able to fix so they have to work around that problem instead.

The fact that it has been pretty quiet doesnt mean that they have stopped working on the game, as jerry hopper said releasing fotage from Limnos and A3 in general would perhaps be like throw gasoline on a fire so they take it easy with the PR and tries to fix a problem at a time. Also undoubtly they had some internal problem with things, but as they now have gone out public again they have probably started fixing up things.

The people we’ve got involved include Ondra Spanel, Marek’s brother, who was the lead programmer on BIS games back when the made Operation Flashpoint and Arma, so he’s the guy who made that engine. He and other original members of the Flashpoint team are actually returning to full-time development for Day Z.

So wait, Suma no longers works on the Arma series? Also, just checked and Arma2 is still in the top ten on Steam?!? Thats fricken amazing.

I really would like to know what RV-engine improvements currently unique to the Day Z Standalone Version could be melded into the latest RV version for A3 (or maybe we'd have to wait for A4 but still...) I would like to believe that some Day Z engine development could benefit the Arma side of things in any way...but yeah Arma 2 CO has been within the top sellers (lowest point I saw a few weeks back was #20) for awhile now on steam, I'm soo happy it is selling well. Arma 3 should do just as well (If not BETTER) with any luck regarless of a seperrate Day Z Game, which I'm sure will sell like hotcakes, ofcourse. (sorry for kinda oftopit part there)

Hi, i'd never played to the Day-Z mod as i don't really have interest into the zombie killers, but... with the A2:OA animations i don't see the logic in play to such thing; the animations on the ArmA should change alot to make it fun, i don't see that change anywhere to make me change my mind about this subject. Let's C ya

This has been said a bunch of times and it bears repeating: it's RV3 by way of TOH with some tidbits from Arma 3 thrown in, and Rocket's own description thereof was "Arma 2.5"... the Arma 3 animations are likely an inspiration for those in the standalone but there's no publicly verifiable link.
So wait, Suma no longers works on the Arma series? Also, just checked and Arma2 is still in the top ten on Steam?!? Thats fricken amazing.
It briefly dropped out of the top ten I believe during the Thanksgiving sale. As far as Suma, I wouldn't be surprised if DayZ needs more work (hence Suma) than Arma 3 anyway -- they're both using new engine iterations and DayZ is switching over to server-based instead of client-based, as Arma 3 is presumably remaining.

Suma still randomly fixes OA/TOH bugs when he has time and mood ...

rarely even adds stuff (see headless (dedicated) client recently)

so it's not like "dropped out" ... it's just not his primary nor secondary focus ...