Sign in to follow this  
DnA

December 2012 status update

@Sethos there are like 4-6 people working on DayZ

Perhaps they are redoing (again) some aspects of the game even though it is highly unlikely, the game should be in an advanced stage of development.

As a consumer and fan, I am not in the position to demand anything from BIS. Just take what you get.

It's not our PR strategy, it's not our game... not yet. But as a player and loyal fan, there's something I

can say: I am disappointed how BIS handles the situation... I am very disappointed. I know why the guys

are so tight-lipped... but I think this isn't the reason for the ArmA III PR blackout.

Edited by CriminalMinds

Might have something to do with "not pouring fuel on the fire" while two ArmA 3 developers are being detained in Greece. Releasing lots of gameplay videos and screenshots from Limnos, might not be the best way to get them home as fast as possible. I've been playing BI games since Cold War Crisis and know they always support their products and community. So in this very unexpected and unplanned situation, maybe a little patience and understanding goes a long way.

If it came down to trashcanning Limnos or getting Martin and Ivan home, it'd be an easy choice for me.

Edited by Dallas

Come on people! this is a DICK move and you all know it! they could do so much better! BI could have had a completely different approach! look at: https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/ they crowdfunded 7+ million and they have another 10-15 from private funding! those guys are involving the community when something is done! may it be a ship or a piece of tech they explain and talk with the consumer!

But here? hell no 6 months media silence and a attitude like: I will take your foking anyway so why would be bother! the 1 thing I hate about dayZ is that dean hall uses the arma 2 engine and as a result he has bohemia as a publisher!

DayZ could be so much better off without bohemia!

Daniel left at the end of Oct. It took them till the middle of December to use that as an excuse, after months of nothing, to tell us it's "officially delayed"? We've known for half of 2012 that ArmA3 wasn't going to ship this year. That's not news.

How about an update on the Community Alpha or how the Physx update is going or if anything at all is happening with ArmA3? I'm just gonna continue my assumption that ArmA3 is vaporware I guess. Heck, they didn't even say the game would come out in 2013, just that "release plans" would be "finalized" in 2013. Vaporware. The said the same thing last year too.

I agree with most of what you said. This community has known for ages it wasn't gonna be 2012, or even first half of 2013. Especially with the way they got quiet as a mouse after E3 with the Alpha. But I think throwing around Vaporware is a tad too much. As I've seen enough videos from them, and RU gaming sites to know it does exist. But I also get what you mean when you use the term :)

I am still hoping for a Christmas Gift from BI with it being the Alpha.

I highly doubt we will see the alpha until well into 2nd half of 2013, if we even see an alpha. Just going to move on to VBS.

Might have something to do with "not pouring fuel on the fire" while two ArmA 3 developers are being detained in Greece.

This is my thinking also, don't want to risk making things worse for Ivan and Martin.

I also wonder if the negative reviews of Carrier Commands AI pathing may of made BI want to spend some more time in this area..

It is of course a good cause to get 'personal' with a community, if we look for example at the support for the detained developers. But personaly i find it hard to understand why sharing 'internal' company information like this update with a community. As it does not per se signal the game itself. I understand the 'control over content release/preview' that might not reflect anything final. But i think especialy this state of becoming/development is intresting to the community. Instead of showing something final, show the process of making the game, alá look over the developer shoulder report. I would say, if you have it, flaunt it.

It's difficult to see how the game could be released until the legal situation in Greece has been fully resolved - that's how it seems to me anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if BIS has been advised by their legal team to suspend work on ArmA 3 until everything has been sorted in Greece.

Daniel left at the end of Oct. It took them till the middle of December to use that as an excuse, after months of nothing, to tell us it's "officially delayed"? We've known for half of 2012 that ArmA3 wasn't going to ship this year. That's not news.

How about an update on the Community Alpha or how the Physx update is going or if anything at all is happening with ArmA3? I'm just gonna continue my assumption that ArmA3 is vaporware I guess. Heck, they didn't even say the game would come out in 2013, just that "release plans" would be "finalized" in 2013. Vaporware. The said the same thing last year too.

Yeah I'm completely siding with you on this one.

This isn't news to anybody here. I don't think any of us thought ArmA 3 was going to release before 2013.

This isn't an update at all.

Yeah I'm completely siding with you on this one.

This isn't news to anybody here. I don't think any of us thought ArmA 3 was going to release before 2013.

This isn't an update at all.

There are not real news, see it more as a lifesign.

They are probably(hopefully) going to release some new things at christmas or new years eve.

Get over yourself.

Have you ever thought about the fact, that all promotional activities are on hold, maybe because of what has happened with Ivan & Martin?

i can say (being 99.99% sure of this ) that if Both ivan and martin havent been arrested, screenies etc would have been released.

Hell, my promotional activities for ArmA3 are on hold since september..... So 1+1=2

But some people only calculate in their own advantage, and start whining if they aint getting their fix.

i have news for all of you whiners : DO YOU WANNA TRADE WITH MARTIN & IVAN, sitting in a shithole for 95 days without a reason?

They have the right on a speedy trial. Right on humane treatment and humane conditions. they have NONE OF THAT!

And here people whine coz they feel they have the right on some screenshots/alpha release ? how pathetic! -> go see a docter, as it seems your heart is made of stone.

Any-1 who doesnt agree, i dare you to continue the conversation on G+, as discussing here only results in a lot of work for the moderators, and your comments being removed....

PS: congrats Joris!

Well, this is disappointing news, but non-the-less not unexpected.

First of all, congrats on the new position Joris, I hope you do well. Now, we all know (or at least consider) that DayZ was one of the best things that happened business-wise for BIS in years. So it's understandable that they're putting a lot of their resources towards pushing out a DayZ standalone, it's just good for business. People just need to realize that BIS is a business, and they're not just here for the community. Sure, they are more involved with their community than any other gaming company out there, but that doesn't mean they're going to make bad choices just to make the community happy. Also, I agree that pushing out ArmA 3, based in Limnos may cause some unnecessary tension in Greece as well for Ivan and Martin.

Sure it's a disappointment, sure it's not what we want to hear, but BIS is one of the best game developing companies I've ever seen, and I'm happy to play ArmA 2 for another half a year if needed. Thank you for the information, and good luck.

Jerry nailed it. And in the news there is the line: "We’re currently sorting the specifics so we can deliver a more complete announcement at the beginning of next year."

So be patient and stop whining

Have you ever thought about the fact, that all promotional activities are on hold, maybe because of what has happened with Ivan & Martin?

i can say (being 99.99% sure of this ) that if Both ivan and martin havent been arrested, screenies etc would have been released.

Hell, my promotional activities for ArmA3 are on hold since september..... So 1+1=2

But some people only calculate in their own advantage, and start whining if they aint getting their fix.

i have news for all of you whiners : DO YOU WANNA TRADE WITH MARTIN & IVAN, sitting in a shithole for 95 days without a reason?

They have the right on a speedy trial. Right on humane treatment and humane conditions. they have NONE OF THAT!

And here people whine coz they feel they have the right on some screenshots/alpha release ? how pathetic! -> go see a docter, as it seems your heart is made of stone.

Any-1 who doesnt agree, i dare you to continue the conversation on G+, as discussing here only results in a lot of work for the moderators, and your comments being removed....

PS: congrats Joris!

^this

The absece of Ivan must have a devastating effect on the dev team. Totally understandable.

@Joris, what was your position until now, what kind of work have you done, how experienced are you, what is your "vision" for A3? That is the stuff I would like to know now.

Jerry nailed it. And in the news there is the line: "We’re currently sorting the specifics so we can deliver a more complete announcement at the beginning of next year."

So be patient and stop whining

Extremely patient we are.

I also totaly agree with Jerryhopper

And anyway what u all want with ArmA III in 2013? U would need a hig end nasa rig and still wont be able to play it fluent (35 FPS+ minimum on high settings) PLUS there would be tons of bugs. I can wait unitl 2015 but than it should be very bugfree :)

See it this way, maybe the development of DayZ with its unique features and the "explorer" mind of rocket is a good opportunity for BIS to polish ArmA III in regards of gameplay, multiplayer,UI ,bugs ,JIP-support, cheat protection, etc...

I don't see how talking about PhysX or the Community Alpha could have negative impact on Martin and Ivan's situation. Sure, it is possible to suspend all promotion of Arma 3, and completely understandable too, but this hasn't happened here. There has been promotional activity, so I don't see how a few words about non-content development could have hurt

Didn't expect anything, didn't get disappointed. Gratz, Joris; keep on rolling.

DayZ has priority obviously.

/ The Ivan and Martin debacle surely halted Arma 3 production severely.

I wouldn't be surprised if Arma 3 came out in third quarter...

@Jerryhopper: I think most if not all of us feel very strong about the jailed dev's false incarceration and speaking for myself I won't care if they told us "Guys, the whole project is on hold until this gets resolved" -whether that be 1 or 5 years. I'd also agree that it would be nice to be 'in the loop' a little with even just occasional tech blogs on physx, ragdoll or really anything. I think that would help keep the community spirit strong as we all know and care deeply about the Greece situation and I really pray this gets resolved like yesterday so they can go home to their families.

If Arma 3 got cancelled I would also completely understand -I think we're all just eager to know one way or the other.

Jerryhopper: Word !

Right now, it's live silent and prosper. We do not need noise of any kind at this stage. A2 has plenty of life in it still, just see the fixes being done with the frequent betas and the CCP. My theory is that they spend time improving A2 with stuff intended for reuse in A3. So use your energy on the CIT in stead

Wow, very surprised at the vagueness of this update after leaving the community in the dark for so long. Sure the Greece situation was unexpected, but you need to roll with the punches and keep things moving if you want to stay ahead of the game.

I wish the team the best in these difficult times. See you in a few months.

...A2 has plenty of life in it still, just see the fixes being done with the frequent betas and the CCP.

Gotta admit -the work being done with Beta has been nothing short of amazing (and mods!) -this game feels like a new incarnation from the one I bought all of those years ago.