Sign in to follow this  
MAVEN

A.I.M. - It's not a game, it's a journey like no other

I've downloaded Carrier Command demo yesterday, and can't help but notice that it reminds me of few older titles I used to enjoy back in the day.

It also reminded me of a game I'm sure many of you don't know or never heard of. Artificial Intelligence Machines aka A.I.M. anyone?

Ok, since you most probably have no clue what the game is about, here's a quick intro.

A.I.M. is classified as indie game, however, it features vast open world dynamic play where you need not to only survive or complete campaign, but discover secrets. A.I.M's main feature isn't graphics, it isn't gameplay either, it's one of a kind story that is so rich and unlike anything you heard of or experienced in the gaming world ever. It's my very favorite for a good reason.

You are a mechmind, a robotic creation made by your creators (whom you later try to discover, find and contact) and you, among thousands of other mechminds get to fly your own glider, trade, fight, rank up, and progress. The more you progress, the better equipment you get, and more importantly, the more worlds you unlock. One interesting thing about A.I.M. is that, if you follow the campaign (which is unguided, you have to find clues by yourself) and play around fairly, you will see only around 30% of the game's secret content, even to this very day players who enjoy A.I.M. discover something new once in a while, whether it's a radiation spot, a building with unusual shape, a plant so rare, or just a glider rarely seen, it never ends, there's a secret after secret after secret, like the campaign isn't enough to already get your mind wander in the A.I.M. universe, the devs put so much effort into this game.

It's hard to describe the game itself, you have to try it to know what I'm talking about.

There is also a sequel, called A.I.M 2: Clan Wars, which I highly recommend along A.I.M. Together combined, both games create one month of unique experience, specially if not interrupted.

Are you the kind of a player who prefers a rich and unique story regardless of bad graphics and gameplay? Can you handle puzzles and riddles to large quantities? Then this game is for you.

The game also features relaxing soundtracks.

A.I.M 1 - http://www.skyriver.ru/project.phtml?p=mech1&l=en

A.I.M 2 Clan Wars - http://www.skyriver.ru/project.phtml?p=mech2&l=en

Some screens:

http://www.skyriver.ru/projects/mech2/shots/NikiCH_1512.jpg (159 kB)

http://www.skyriver.ru/projects/mech2/shots/aim2_3.jpg (165 kB)

http://www.skyriver.ru/projects/mech2/shots/aim2_109.jpg (134 kB)

A.I.M 2 intro -

My fav soundtrack from the game (A.I.M 1, Desert Sector, by Gregory Semenov) -

A.I.M. Inspired much of my work, in a way it's one very nostalgic and thought provoking game, maybe because I played the 1st part when I was a kid, maybe because it indeed is something unlike anything out there.

Either way I highly recommend it.

Tried A.I.M and A.I.M 2 already? Try Hard Truck Apocalypse (and sequel Rise of Clans) it's another similar and unique title just like A.I.M

Important note:

There's a bug with pirated version of this game where you can't progress your campaign and discover some of the game's secrets, buy the game, it's cheap anyway. There's a free demo also.

A.I.M at Gamersgate - http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-AIM/aim

A.I.M 2 at Gamersgate (Good screens as well) - http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-AIM2/aim-2

Hard Truck Apocalypse - http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-HTA/hard-truck-apocalypse

Hard Truck Apocalypse 2 - http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-HTAROC/hard-truck-apocalypse-rise-of-clans

The games are also known as Mehanoidi (Russian, Mechminds) and ExMachina (For the Hard Truck Apocalypse)

Gamersgate descriptions:

A.I.M:

A.I.M

Rating: 3.4 (487 votes cast)

A.I.M. is an action role-playing game unfolding in a sci-fi universe inhabited by androids. Humans are but a vague memory in a world where robots rule. Players assume role of an AI android traveling on a special floating vehicle with antigravity engines. Gliders are multipurpose combat vehicles, and the huge military zone was created to test them. The game combines combat action, trade, exploration, undertaking of various quests and missions, glider upgrades, armament purchase. The player enters a huge world made up of different zones. Each zone lives a life of its own, and has its own social and trade relations. Moving from zone to zone the gamer encounters different groups of A.I.M. and may join any of them. The player has access to different combat vehicles, technologies and upgrades. Profitable trade, victories in combats and fulfillment of different tasks will let the player earn resources to upgrade the glider and influence his in-game rating.

A.I.M 2:

A.I.M. 2 is the sequel to the epic science fiction first-person action RPG developed by SkyRiver Studios. Its compelling story and unique look lift off exactly where the original ended.

Changes in the control system have led to new opportunities for the inhabitants of the Polygon planet. Mechminds, advanced robots, opened new sectors and have started exploring them. With the course of time Mechminds and their culture have altered greatly with some old clans fading away as new ones evolved.

New clans led by Mechminds of the Fifth Generation are powerful and well-organized formations with far-reaching plans. Powerful groups have different interests that often crossed, war broke out again. However this time it is the struggle not for mere control, this is struggle for survival. The clans want to eliminate the weaker ones standing in their way and will stop at nothing to dominate their enemies. To achieve their goals they use not only military means, but economic ones as well. As of now none of the clans has managed to achieve complete victory.

You are a part of the oldest clan called the Reckoners, a dedicated group looking for the firstborn Mechmind of the Fifth Generation. This could be a chance to restore former might for your clan which has lost its power and even be victorious in the war.

HTA:

The plot puts you in a post-apocalyptic world. You enter the reality of the year 223 since Great Cataclysm. The world we knew was erased as the result of a mysterious accident. In less than one hour the most part of the world population disappeared. Those who survived try to adapt to new conditions. There are new cities and settlements with trading alliances and mobsters. The vital transport hubs are controlled by gangsters and pillagers. Hence, armored heavy truck drivers have become the only resisting force against the “shadow†elements.

You are to drive through dangerous regions of the new Earth with its mysterious places and hostile habitants. Your ultimate goal is to reveal the guarded secrets of the lost civilization. Your heavy truck is the only hope. You will need it to travel, earn your lining and fight your way through the perilous areas. It’s crucial that you continuously upgrade your truck. Your ability to equip smartly your “iron buddy†will make or break the success of your journey. So, go to towns and villages, trade with them, help them and you are sure to raise the cash required for powerful weapon and new gadgets.

The action and the RPG elements are closely intertwined to create a stunning game experience: the action part embraces the driving, chilling combats with the use of wide range of destructive weapons; the RPG part allows you equipping your truck to flee your enemies from battle field. Unveil the fate of the mankind. Joining with powerful allies come over the resistance of deadly enemies.

HTA 2:

Clans have risen. The remains of humanity gather in cities forming tribes that work and fight together to survive.

Become part of one of these clans in the apocalyptic world of the first official add-on of Hard Truck Apocalypse. Developed by Buka Entertainment and Targem Studio, this add-on standalone brings what media & consumers were demanding… Multiplayer mode!! Play over Internet or in a local network with many friends in savage truck battles in this futuristic like Mad Max world.

Create a clan or join one already created, improve your truck with better weapons, armor and engines, cover the hull with your war colors and go to the battle.

Edited by MAVEN

So... This is like Elite? (Or Oolite...)

Never heard of that game before.

A.I.M does somewhat resemble some features of Oolite, but it's not like it. It's very unique, hard to describe.

Oolite looks more like Evochron.

both AIM were fine, playable but typical Russian release ... lot of bugs and low on patches ... promising concept, worth even MP-MMO shard like worlds ...

both AIM were fine, playable but typical Russian release ... lot of bugs and low on patches ... promising concept, worth even MP-MMO shard like worlds ...

So true and sad. Most releases that are truly something special come from development studios that lack funding, thus so many bugs, lack of patches and support as well as market coverage. Russian gaming industry is booming though because design has taken a step further.

It's actually a general gaming industry issue. Another good example is Machinarium by Amanita Design. A really exceptional game, however this one was so good that in fact it got popular relatively fast. And yet another example is World Of Goo by 2dBoy, their story is a bit different though.

Anyway, I always though that some of BI team developers probably played some of the less known titles such as AIM, specially after I heard the A3 soundtracks from the videos :)

Have you played both AIM releases?

but Machinarium is Czech game (hint Amanita Design is from Brno like ARMA 3 team :) )

and WAS very small indie group (around 1 key person) ... now they ofc bigger

while AIM 1,2 team was bigger (also the Russian publishers often play negative role how the post release support take dive to oblivion)

Same place, that's really nice. Brno must be special ;)

I know that Amanita Design isn't Russian. It was just a comparison. Machinarium is one of few games I really favorites.

Most of those games inspired a lot of my work and provided unique gameplay experience, I would like more of such games released regardless of who makes them.

ArmA 2 is a gem by itself, in fact nowadays I regularly play just ArmA 2 and SWAT 4, all other titles are just a short time fun, I don't have much time for gaming actually, but when it comes to serious fun it's either A2 or S4, of which speaking, I would like to ask. Is there a way that A3 will boast some improved CQB/CQC play for indoors as well as heavy tactical equipment like S4? Perhaps in a separate expansion in future?

I think they have a nice raceing track in Brno :)

Thats where the BIS Devs have fun with their Sports cars :p

This reminds me a little bit of Echelon (1988). In that game, you also flew around in a hovership, puzzled out the story, and engaged in occasional combat. Here's the Moby page: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/echelon_

That really brings me back. I can't seem to find any gameplay footage though. :(

I went ahead and bought A.I.M. and it's sequel off GG after reading the information in this post and looking up a bunch of gameplay footage. I had to set A.I.M. 1 to Windows 98 compatibility to fix a GUI display issue, but otherwise both games run well. Pretty fun so far. :)

This reminds me a little bit of Echelon (1988). In that game, you also flew around in a hovership, puzzled out the story, and engaged in occasional combat. Here's the Moby page: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/echelon_

That really brings me back. I can't seem to find any gameplay footage though. :(

I went ahead and bought A.I.M. and it's sequel off GG after reading the information in this post and looking up a bunch of gameplay footage. I had to set A.I.M. 1 to Windows 98 compatibility to fix a GUI display issue, but otherwise both games run well. Pretty fun so far. :)

Great stuff :D

I'm sorry to hear about the issues, the series are very buggy but you can find patches though that fix some bugs.

A pro tip - Explore everything, and watch your logs/interface carefully as there are lots of clues that come and go then never appear again :P It's a good thing to save often also, because game has no checkpoints. I got stuck once playing it and reaching nearly half of the content, only to end up saving when a glider rocket hurled straight at me, so you can imagine - Splash! Dead..Splash! Dead...and so on, so I had to restart the entire game completely...:j:

If you have questions or encounter a point where you are stuck, ask and I will see if I can help.

Have fun!

About Echelon. I don't recall playing that game, it seems very rare as well. Though I found something about it:

A video (game ending, 35 seconds and not even a gameplay lol, but it's the only vid around) -

Well, if there are no videos, you can at least play the original game - http://www.myabandonware.com/game/echelon-fs

The game is re-created with original content to run on modern day systems, so you may need some of these tools to run it - http://www.myabandonware.com/howto/