Sign in to follow this  
mihikle

ALICE not working

Wasn't entirely sure where to post this I hope this is the right place however:

My Ambient Civilians module (and ALICE Expansion) does not work. It worked when I used to play Reinforcements, however when I switched to CO at the start of the year it wouldn't do anything for me. They way I was running it previously was by dropping the module onto the map, with no further Scripting or anything.

Now, when I put the module on the map, nothing happens. I have tried this on Zargabad, Takistan and Utes, yet still nothing is happening. I managed to get it working once by using a Game Logic or something, but second go it also did not work, although the Script was exactly the same. I probably wrote something wrong second time round but hey, I shouldn't have to be doing it in the first place!

I have tried running this with various mods (ACE), and also with the expansion/beta addon, and neither worked. At first I thought it was ACE requiring more scripting but when I take it off it still does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas why my ALICE module is not working?

Cheers

Read something about it here the other day, I have had some trouble with it too - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, unsure why, the wiki may help you:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ambient_Civilians

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:ArmA_2:_Editor_Modules

none of these links answers questions and i am having the very same problem. I heard once that the solution would be a COMPLETE reinstall, but i am not risking to re-download EVERY addon that i have or wasting time in downloading it just for a missing file that steam wont download when verifying cache

Have you run -showScriptErrors without -noLogs and checked the error log to see if 1.63 has new detected errors in it? 1.63 uses a "more robust" (changelog language) error reporting system than previous. Errors that used to miss the message log are being reported now.

A few modules are coming up with errors. It may have a new detected error that stops a script. I've been working on custom scripts for Warfare, which activates ALICE, and the activation has been throwing this error:

Error in expression <gFormat ["Log: ALICE: Initializing ...",_twnname];_factionCiv = ["CIV"] call BI>
 Error position: <_twnname];_factionCiv = ["CIV"] call BI>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _twnname
File ca\modules\alice\data\scripts\main.sqf, line 279

It comes from the ALICE main script where the undefined _twnname is in a debugging text log line right before it sets up the towns at the end of the script. Could be stopping the script maybe? Now that I think, I haven't been seeing civilians in towns but wasn't paying attention cuz was focused on clearing errors Warfare throws out.

Warfare also activates SILVIE, which throws this error:

Error in expression <_logic setvariable ["vehicleBlacklist",_vehicleBlacklist];_vehicleinit = if >
 Error position: <_vehicleBlacklist];_vehicleinit = if >
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _vehicleblacklist
File ca\modules\silvie\data\scripts\main.sqf, line 185

The _vehicleBlacklist variable is supposed to be _vehicleRarity; however this does not stop the script. Vehicles are spawning in my mission.

Edited by OpusFmSPol

Have you run -showScriptErrors without -noLogs and checked the error log to see if 1.63 has new detected errors in it? 1.63 uses a "more robust" (changelog language) error reporting system than previous. Errors that used to miss the message log are being reported now.

A few modules are coming up with errors. It may have a new detected error that stops a script. I've been working on custom scripts for Warfare, which activates ALICE, and the activation has been throwing this error:

Error in expression <gFormat ["Log: ALICE: Initializing ...",_twnname];_factionCiv = ["CIV"] call BI>
 Error position: <_twnname];_factionCiv = ["CIV"] call BI>

It comes from the ALICE main script where the undefined _twnname is in a debugging text log line right before it sets up the towns at the end of the script. Could be stopping the script maybe? Now that I think, I haven't been seeing civilians in towns but wasn't paying attention cuz was focused on clearing errors Warfare throws out.

Warfare also activates SILVIE, which throws this error:

Error in expression <_logic setvariable ["vehicleBlacklist",_vehicleBlacklist];_vehicleinit = if >
 Error position: <_vehicleBlacklist];_vehicleinit = if >
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _vehicleblacklist
File ca\modules\silvie\data\scripts\main.sqf, line 185

The _vehicleBlacklist variable is supposed to be _vehicleRarity; however this does not stop the script. Vehicles are spawning in my mission.

Never tried, where should i put the command to see errors displayed so that i can pinpoint what is wrong?

In your Steam games library, right-click Arrowhead and select Properties. Under launch options, enter -showScriptErrors. In game it will flash errors on screen for a few seconds as they occur. It helps pinpoint the exact moment when errors occur in game.

The error report itself (arma2OA.rpt file) is in your C\Users\<username>\appdata\local\Arma2OA file. It logs all errors encountered, which you can refer back to since the screen flash only lasts a moment. Clear the log, run the game and it will build a new log.

Using launch option -nologs will disable the log (which you would not want to do if trying to debug the mission).

In your Steam games library, right-click Arrowhead and select Properties. Under launch options, enter -showScriptErrors. In game it will flash errors on screen for a few seconds as they occur. It helps pinpoint the exact moment when errors occur in game.

The error report itself (arma2OA.rpt file) is in your C\Users\<username>\appdata\local\Arma2OA file. It logs all errors encountered, which you can refer back to since the screen flash only lasts a moment. Clear the log, run the game and it will build a new log.

Using launch option -nologs will disable the log (which you would not want to do if trying to debug the mission).

This is the log.

Error in expression <;

_recompile = (count _this) > 0;

if (BIS_fnc_init && !_recompile) exitwith {t>

Error position: <BIS_fnc_init && !_recompile) exitwith {t>

Error Undefined variable in expression: bis_fnc_init

File ca\Modules\Functions\init.sqf, line 28

Error in expression <gFormat ["Log: ALICE: Initializing ...",_twnname];

_factionCiv = ["CIV"] call BI>

Error position: <_twnname];

_factionCiv = ["CIV"] call BI>

Error in expression <pulationClasses = _populationClasses + [_type];

};

_populationCount = count _po>

Error position: <_type];

};

Error Undefined variable in expression: _type

Error in expression <pulationClasses = _populationClasses + [_type];

};

Error position: <_type];

};

Error Undefined variable in expression: _type

Error in expression <ss = _populationClasses select _i;

if (_class != "") then {

_door = _doorlist >

Error position: <_class != "") then {

_door = _doorlist >

Error Undefined variable in expression: _class

Error in expression <ss = _populationClasses select _i;

if (_class != "") then {

_door = _doorlist >

Error position: <_class != "") then {

_door = _doorlist >

Error Undefined variable in expression: _class

First error is from Functions module. ALICE calls it. Dunno if it actually affects functions or not, but functions do initialize. My take is that I doubt it affects functions, since it's in a line calling to exit when functions are already running, and failure just means functions initialize again.

Second error is the same error I already mentioned that ALICE throws. But apparently it doesn't stop ALICE. In singleplayer and multiplayer I threw down a unit and an ALICE module on Utes, and civilians spawned in Strelka after several seconds.

Are you using an addon map? cuz the last four errors (for "_type" and "_class") are similar to errors tpw posted here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?88652-Isla-Duala/page181

_populationClasses doesn't seem to be part of ALICE or functions; I couldn't find it anyway.

EDIT: Found the _type error source located in the ALICE FSM. Still couldn't find the _class error source location though.

Edited by OpusFmSPol

Should alice Work for ACR DLC map Bystřice? Cause for me it doesnt work on that map.

Should alice Work for ACR DLC map Bystřice? Cause for me it doesnt work on that map.

The map apparently doesn't have any city logics built into it. When I fire up Warfare on it, no capturable towns appear. When I lay down city logics as demonstrated by Darren Brant here, they appear:

http://sandbox.darrenbrant.com/arma_ii/capturable-cities-with-the-arma-ii-warfare-module

Another thing I notice is that it appears to use similar but different building models than Chernarus. Are there any enterable doors? I couldn't find any in a short time I spent running around.

First error is from Functions module. ALICE calls it. Dunno if it actually affects functions or not, but functions do initialize. My take is that I doubt it affects functions, since it's in a line calling to exit when functions are already running, and failure just means functions initialize again.

Second error is the same error I already mentioned that ALICE throws. But apparently it doesn't stop ALICE. In singleplayer and multiplayer I threw down a unit and an ALICE module on Utes, and civilians spawned in Strelka after several seconds.

Are you using an addon map? cuz the last four errors (for "_type" and "_class") are similar to errors tpw posted here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?88652-Isla-Duala/page181

_populationClasses doesn't seem to be part of ALICE or functions; I couldn't find it anyway.

I did that log with a complete vanilla edition, just ArmA OA, + ArmA 2, + the 3 DLC. No mods, no maps, nothing, not even CBA.

I would just delete the route of the ALICE modules and verify caches to see if it would fix, but to be honest i dont really know where ca/modules or the modules themselves are placed in the installation folder.

Well i dont know, truth to be told, the Bystřice map is terribly tacky. like the rest of the ACR DLC, its actually just really bad ripoff of chernarus, lot of the enterable buildings are replaced with not enterale ones wich doesnt make any sense, there are roads removed but you can clearly see where the road originaly was, i even found building sign of removed Chernarus buliding floating in the air next to the replacement building. But it is only middle europe forrest terrain map without sea, i know. So iam using it for current set of missions iam working on.

Hm ill probably move back to Chernarus, as it looks to be only Decent map out there.

So, i found out that it was the MSO folder making the problem here. It has the "ca/modules/ALICE..." part, i tried taking it out and restarting the game. However, the same problem persisted

I did that log with a complete vanilla edition, just ArmA OA, + ArmA 2, + the 3 DLC. No mods, no maps, nothing, not even CBA.

I would suggest doing what I did; drop a soldier on Utes in Strelka, drop an ALICE module. If civilians spawn you'll know your module does work and it could be the particular map causing the problem. ALICE uses location logics and count of enterable doors on buildings to generate the people. If the map is missing one or the other, people won't spawn without a little help from logics or scripts.

If you find your ALICE module isn't working, I suppose options would be replacing the Modules.pbo, which ALICE is a part of. The Modules.pbo is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2\AddOns. I would not delete it outright, but move it to a folder of it's own so it can be restored if replacement doesn't work out.

- Once moved to a folder of it's own, use Steam to reverify integrity; see if that reinstalls the Modules.pbo to the game.

- if that doesn't work, download ALDP_A2_PBOs_APL-SA_part2.zip from the Arma Licensed Data Pack, it contains the Modules.pbo:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_Licensed_Data_Pack

Replace it with the Modules.pbo contained in the zip file.

- If that doesn't work.... well, that's why I wouldn't delete it outright. Pull it from the folder you held it in and place it back where it belongs and keep looking for the problem source.

I would suggest doing what I did; drop a soldier on Utes in Strelka, drop an ALICE module. If civilians spawn you'll know your module does work and it could be the particular map causing the problem. ALICE uses location logics and count of enterable doors on buildings to generate the people. If the map is missing one or the other, people won't spawn without a little help from logics or scripts.

If you find your ALICE module isn't working, I suppose options would be replacing the Modules.pbo, which ALICE is a part of. The Modules.pbo is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2\AddOns. I would not delete it outright, but move it to a folder of it's own so it can be restored if replacement doesn't work out.

- Once moved to a folder of it's own, use Steam to reverify integrity; see if that reinstalls the Modules.pbo to the game.

- if that doesn't work, download ALDP_A2_PBOs_APL-SA_part2.zip from the Arma Licensed Data Pack, it contains the Modules.pbo:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_Licensed_Data_Pack

Replace it with the Modules.pbo contained in the zip file.

- If that doesn't work.... well, that's why I wouldn't delete it outright. Pull it from the folder you held it in and place it back where it belongs and keep looking for the problem source.

well, this is the thing. Alice 1 seems to work jsut fine, in UTES there were barely any civilians, but there were. Then i also added ALICE 2, and then there was no civilians, then i tried with the OA maps, but because they are not made to work with ALICE 1, no civilian spawned.

Alice 2 is the problem.

Alice 2 is the problem.

Definitely agree. In two of five tests on Takistan with ALICE2, I had one and only one civilian spawn, Chernarus civilians in a vehicle each time. After that each time it tried to spawn civilians it threw these two errors:

Error in expression <n %2!",_x,_twn];false};};if (typename _door == "BOOL") exitwith {};_id = _log>
 Error position: <_door == "BOOL") exitwith {};_id = _log>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _door
File ca\modules_e\alice2\data\scripts\fn_civilianSet.sqf, line 42
Error in expression <on.fsm";_unit setvariable ["ALICE_fsm",_fsm];_allTopics = _logic getvariabl>
 Error position: <_fsm];_allTopics = _logic getvariabl>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _fsm

Definitely agree. In two of five tests on Takistan with ALICE2, I had one and only one civilian spawn, Chernarus civilians in a vehicle each time. After that each time it tried to spawn civilians it threw these two errors:

Error in expression <n %2!",_x,_twn];false};};if (typename _door == "BOOL") exitwith {};_id = _log>
 Error position: <_door == "BOOL") exitwith {};_id = _log>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _door
File ca\modules_e\alice2\data\scripts\fn_civilianSet.sqf, line 42
Error in expression <on.fsm";_unit setvariable ["ALICE_fsm",_fsm];_allTopics = _logic getvariabl>
 Error position: <_fsm];_allTopics = _logic getvariabl>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _fsm

I deleted pretty much the addon folders of all DLC, A2 and OA, after making steam verify the cache (this is gonna be around 10 gb by the way, so its gonna take a while) i am gonna check again what is happening, i also want to check ALICE 1 on chernarus, just to see if the few civilians is a problem or its just how it works on Utes.

---------- Post added at 04:57 ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 ----------

Quick note, just tried OA standalone with ALICE 2 on takistan and zargabad, it DID worked, but the game sent me more error scripts to my screen than a wild monkey throws shit, and the places were, to say the least, underpopulated, to the point in wich zargabad, a capitol, had under 30 people walking through the street in the mid day.

After taking care of the addons, it seems like if the ALICE modules break when you put both the basic and the extended one together, using just the extended one it works fine. Although i am still getting script errors

Yeah, as I said before a number of modules are now logging previously undetected errors. As the error log builds up it can drag on performance and affect frame rate. For casual gameplay the screen errors can be turned off by removing the -showScriptErrors from launch params and replaced with -nologs to disable the error log.

In a nutshell:

for mission debugging - Use showScriptErrors, do not use noLogs.

for casual gameplay - Use noLogs, do not use showScriptErrors.

Yeah, as I said before a number of modules are now logging previously undetected errors. As the error log builds up it can drag on performance and affect frame rate. For casual gameplay the screen errors can be turned off by removing the -showScriptErrors from launch params and replaced with -nologs to disable the error log.

In a nutshell:

for mission debugging - Use showScriptErrors, do not use noLogs.

for casual gameplay - Use noLogs, do not use showScriptErrors.

I got that well, although the modules are still causing big framerate issues. Now i just need to decide wether i should get CIM or GBL AIM.