Sign in to follow this  
smokedog3para

terrain cut out

hi all i have been working on a terrain for a while now using l3dt the out side terrain is higher than the edges of my sat image in visitor i had to squash the terrain down and after that the outside terrain is not right, could i get some guidance on how to cut a few pixels off the height map edge to make the outside terrain line up again please cheers smoke or any information on cut out option in vis.

Hi SmokeDog!

Hmmm..... that sounds weird!

The Outside Terrain is supposed to match directly to the edges of the main heightmap, of course...

Could you manage to post a picture?

B

Hi bush forgot to say i used the xyz not a terrain png for height from ltd3 http://i49.tinypic.com/2wfn3mu.jpg (201 kB)

There is one side it sits lower, on the other side of terrain its miles to high.

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

Hi again!

Ouch!

I see what you mean!!

This looks very much like there might have been some sort of "area selection" going on while you were smoothing, or possibly something to do with the export stage....

Looking at your picture, I'm guessing that somehow you've managed to induce a column of "null values" or something down one edge of your heightmap.... that's causing this "Grand Canyon" effect...

There's a very sharp cutoff on the left hand side which would suggest that... On the right hand side the Outside Terrain tech is trying it's best to match the "overall character" of the rest of the heightmap - ramping up from that accidental canyon and thereafter looking like not too bad a representation of the general landscape to the left...

Tricky one to "repair"....

Backtracking to a version BEFORE you somehow induced this column of nulls would be my first choice... or...

Wilbur has a "Basin Fill" feature - you could try just selecting the "canyon" area and simply filling it in... might not look quite like what you want though.

I'd be a little wary of simply cropping that edge off your heightmap and then stretching the rest to fit... that's likely to throw off spot heights in the main body of the map... not something you really want to do with a project that's already progressed to the "objects on the ground" stage...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

copy that bush its been like this since I done the erosion at the start of the terrain so I have had it all along but thought I could get round it later.

Its the first time I have seen it turn out like this, as I have used the erosion tool quiet a few times now when playing with sizes of terrains and I tend to use terrain png for heights with this one I used l3dt .xyz for height import.

The other side of the terrain is like a massive wall i suppose its a case of dropping and lifting the terrain 20 km worth lol as I have tried the smooth roads but that drops below ground too far.

Is there no way of exporting the height map back in to l3dt and then doctoring the edges on it again or will it do the same again on import back to vis where I have to erode it.

I have had it all along but thought I could get round it later.

Right! - it's like a "historical" problem then.... I thought you'd only just done it, so backtracking was a viable alternative...

Bummer! - it's a Repair Job then I guess...

You can certainly export the heightmap back out to L3DT...

Use the "Export Terrain to Picture" option - as it's exporting - NOTE DOWN THE TOP SET OF NUMBERS - these are the Real max/min height values you need - you'll get a .pbl too as part of the export process - throw it away... Just use the .png to import to l3DT and when it asks for max/min height values - use those two numbers you wrote down... that'll preserve all heights exactly as they were in Visitor.

Now you're in L3DT, ready to try some repairs.....

When you export again - just use L3DT's .xyz output - that usually works fine and when you're (re)importing to a populated terrain it'll be a LOT faster than the .pbl & .png combo

B

Has any 1 got a working copy of export.xyz as when I try to get the thing working the dos box pops up and says that I only have 3.52 and it needs 3.89

I have got the latest from devheaven and it does the same error leaving me with no .xyz for l3dt cheers smoke

It seems as if you have imported a heightmap picture into L3DT with a anti-aliased border and kept workgin with this "faulty" heightmap data all along. Anyway the outermost pixels where / are not matching the rest of the heightmap.

To ("easily") fix i would do the following:

• Export the exact same / latest terrain (from l3dt, unless you have editted your terrain in Vis, then you need to export from there) to an heightmap png (perhaps you already used this in png)
  • Import this heightmap png into photoshop and investigate the bordr of the picture, you should notice a distinct border that represents the lowered terrain (more or pure black around the edges).
  • Figure out how much pixels this border is (how many pixels of the edge are not matching your terrain).
  • Now first select the first row of pixels from the top that is "right", transform this row all the way up to the top edge of the picture. (you have now repeated the last "good" pixel row to the edge of the picture and thus removed any "faulty" heightmap data).
  • Repeat the same for the other edges.
  • Now the only area's the might need some specific attention are the corners where two edges meat each other, these might need some correction. You could make a transistion in Photoshop or do it in L3DT (export and import you "repeared" png as a heightmap in l3dt)

The above procedure might give a slight "synthetic" look to your map at the edges, as there are several rows of the same heightmap data next to each other, but it is by far alot quicker then to repair it with l3dt by hand...

Cheers for the info on this , last night my hard drive lead melted the pcb on my hard drive so now I have lost all source data for the 7 terrains I had and the 200-300 hundred models I had for the terrains so I am in shit street at the moment as I had no backup of the hard drive and have lost the last 2 years worth of work total gutter for me as if I cant recover the data I don't think I will be modding or building terrains again.

my apologise to all for not being able to give you what I have shown you on my blogg and youtube vids of the models and terrains I had sorry for being a nob and not backing up my source folders.

I have contacted a data recovery firm datatrack and have been quoted £99.00 to fix pcb it might as well be a £1000 as I am on sick benefit and I can't even raise that amount for months so if any 1 feels like donating to the cause please feel free to pm me

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA