Waxbutter

Hell in the Pacific 0.5 beta release

Hello,

Do you plan a script or a module for artillery ?

(I have fought with the fire at will script from Rydygier, tried to adapt even with I44 with no success).

So far its been a little tricky. Basically I go into the map and find a defensive position, then I go into the editor and try to guess where it is. I'll keep loading and going back into the editor making adjustments until I get them about where I want them. After that, depending on what kind of unit it is (static vs. infantry) and what kind of defensive position it is, I will usually use the setheight command as well as either setunitpos "up" or "middle" and doStop this

Thanks for that SWK, interestingly that's what I found myself doing last night in a marathon mission editing session. Good tip on the setunitpos and dostop this Ill try that. Your right though few HMG and troops do put up a heck of a fight for the first wave. Now I figured out how to get a tank ashore, they might just live to regret it :D. You can set the ammo low so it gives a shorter barrage.

The thing I tried to even the odds for assault wave is to have an Armed Assault ship cruise past, the Guns give out a heck of a barrage. Just get the distance right or the Bofors shells will burst over your troops and LVTs not good for morale !

Edited by nickmow

is there a script for the Shotokan Karate kata called Heian Godan move form the warriors of the sun mission?
put this in a unit init box, or call via script/trigger etc... unitName switchMove "AmovPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_exerciseKata"; This is already in Arma, obviously there's a Shotokan man in there already - OSS!
and how do i drop the airdropperd ammo box out of the c-47 like in the Tarawa mission part 2?
This is scripted... Actually there's one on ToT Part 1 which is probably more useful than the ToT Part 2 one. Its called fx_supplyDrop.sqf... have a look at it and let me know if you need help implementing it. Obviously I don't know how familiar you are with scripting, you may get it, but if you need help let me know and I will talk you through it.
Hello,

Do you plan a script or a module for artillery ?

Do you mean AI firing artillery or players? There's an artillery module already for players firing artillery.

Ok for you guys trying to accurately place AI in trenches, try this:

Place a radio trigger on the map, enter the following in the activation field: diag_log ["POS", getPosATL player, getDir player, unitPos player];

Now run the editor and stand exactly where you want the AI. Get into the stance you want the AI to be in and hit the radio trigger. Now open your rpt (mine is found here: "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\arma2OA.RPT" - if you can't see it you may need to enable hidden folders). The exact position, direction and stance you were in will be logged down there... search for "POS" if you can't find it. It will look somthing like this ["POS", [545.45, 125.6, 0], 35, "middle"] as a rough example. So you can now place an AI on the map and in its initbox feed that information in: this setPosATL [545.45, 125.6, 0]; this setDir 35; this setUnitPos "middle". Hopefully when you run the editor again, the AI should be placed exactly where you were stood, facing the direction you were facing and in the stance you were in. As mentioned before doStop will stop the AI from instantly falling back into formation, although often if they're in a trench they can't find their way out anyway... but be aware that if they could path find their way out that doStop will not stop them for moving out of position once the "fight starts" if they are part of a group... basically the commander starts issuing orders like "go over there and shoot that guy" etc. Hope this make sense... I've had a couple of ales this evening soo I may be a bit squiffy with my explanations. :)

Thanks Foxy, apprecaited.
Your welcome :bigsmile: Edited by Foxy

Oh sorry I was not clear. I meant AI firing artillery. (not super skilled of course it is just to create atmophere in the battlefield) :)

Well there are many excellent artillery scripts already out there. This is our approach for "ambient" artillery.

Nice tip on placing troops Foxy. Been knocking up missions since OFP and I didn't know that.

With Artillery, I'm not sure I understand how the HIP one works. I get the azimuth and elevation table stuff, that's great if your the bloke manning the mortar. Is there more to it ? I just used the standard ARMA method of controlling Arty which works fine for bringing in fire on specific user defined targets.

You get my vote by the way. Best damn Mod I've ever played with, and I've played a few !

A thrilling experience by driving Zero fighter to collide against US landing vehicles at the beach, a real sim. Of crazy Japanese suicide actions in the pacific battle...

hi foxy I tried lots of different ways to activate the script : "AmovPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_exerciseKata"; but it won't work Do you have any idea why?

unitName switchMove "AmovPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_exerciseKata"; - You did change unitname to the actual name of the unit you are using right? If your still having trouble you can send it to me and I will take a look.

@nickmow: Sounds like you've basically got it, but just in case.

The HIP artillery module is for players only. There are 3 map tools you need also:

- Start line: LeftMouse + H - place this on top of the mortar you are firing.

- End line: LeftMouse + J - click on the map where you think your target is to draw the distance line.

- Compass: LeftMouse + K - this allows will give the azimuth.

You can then use the tools to get the range (convert with the arty manual) and azimuth you need to point the mortar in. You really need a spotter though to feedback how accurate your rounds are so you can adjust accordingly. Bare in mind there is some natural spread to each shot fired so if your roughly on target, but didn't score a direct hit then just let rip and hopefully you should hit your target eventually.

I think that's right, but I'm sure Dimitri or one of the team will correct me if I've got any of that wrong. Oh and don't forget to level the mortar before you start otherwise the range tables will be off.

Couldn't get a screenshot, but in a stroke of pure genius :). A subtle attachto. Line given to an M5a1 combining it with an LVT gives a mutant LVT(a)1. OK so close up it looks a bit of a Frankentank. But parked on the reef giving supporting fire it looks the part and does just what it was designed for. I'll try and capture a picture after work.

Hi guys! Did you plan on making some USMC raider units? Btw congrats, awesome mod ,been making missions for days now!

Great mod with cool soundtrack! Thanks! :yay:

BUG?!

Air strikes of the AI (Allied/Japanese) do not work. Existing targets are simply ignored! But if I am using planes of the stock version (A10, Su25 or other) objectives are being bombed!

(Zero/Spitfire waypoint in editor: Destroy "target")

For the future other allied sites are planned?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. :)

I suppose you did set the planes to careless behaviour as you were advised in the manual? If it still doesn't work, it's indeed something we should look into.

For the future other allied sites are planned?

Sorry, I didn't get that. Sites? You mean sides/factions (Dutch?) or maps/islands (Singapore,...?).

Cheers,

D.

EDIT: Oh, and as I reminder, I would like to point out that we have a nice bug tracker on DevHeaven HERE.

It would be awsome if everyone could post possible bugs over there, as at some point bugs reported in this forums will be overlooked and forgotten.

Edited by Dimitri_Harkov

Sorry, I didn't get that. Sites? You mean sides/factions (Dutch?) or maps/islands (Singapore,...?).

Dutch or another ..... :)

hi foxy I did change the name of the unit when I putted it in the Init field and i Did changed it when I made a trigger I also tried if the trigger would work if it stands on anyone instead of blufor or opfor

I have a question regarding some editing. First off, how to I place the LVT's or Landings boats on the Passenger ships? I want them to be in the same place as with the logistics module, just before the mission starts. Secondly, How can I make the Landing craft transport AI tanks to th shore that then drive off the boats and onto the beach? Thankyou in Advance.

Yes, or just use Robalo's excellent ASR_AI.

EDIT:

@Galaxiesaver:

To put LCVPs and the like on an Attack Transport (ATT), execute a script like this:

[boat,caller,-1] execVM "\DIH_logistics\scripts\DIH_log_psob.sqf";

where boat is the name of the landing craft you want to put on the ATT and caller is any object on the same side as the ATT.

Your landing craft needs to be within 30m of the ATT for this to work.

As for your second question (AI should land vehicles on the beach): These features where not made with AI in mind and I have no clue how to do that.

Maybe Foxy can help you out there, as he somehow managed to do it with his magic skills.

Cheers,

D.

Edited by Dimitri_Harkov

I get a Tank into an LCM at start of mission with an attachto command like this

Tank1 Attachto [LCM1,[0,1,0]]; where Tank1 is the Sherman and LCM1 is the LCM. You have to get the height co-ordinate right or when you detach it will bounce. sometimes right out of the LCM !

tanklcm1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

To get it to hit the beach, you have to pick your spot first. I found that for example on Tarawa there are some spots where a tank close to the water wont accept orders or move. There are some good spots on the south shore but play around with a tank before place a waypoint for the lcm. Heres a position that works. Note the LCM has a full speed order and its waypoint is a good 20 metres on shore. To get it to hit the beach or it will sort of wallow about and turn side on.

tanklcmmap.jpg

I then use a series of timed triggers (the blue circles) grouped (F2) to the presence of the LCM, for experiment purposes I made them a good 5 second apart on the timeout in the following order. To drop the ramp LCM1 animate [ "ramp", 1];

lcmramp.jpg

Move the tank forward a bit Tank1 Attachto [LCM1,[0,4,0.5]];

lcmtankfwd.jpg

Then onto the front of the ramp Tank1 Attachto [LCM1,[0,12.5,-0.3]];

tankramp.jpg

and finally detach Detach Tank1

shermanaway.jpg

at which point if you picked the right bit of beach it will manouver and get into the fight. It clumsy a little but it works. I found that by simply detaching the tank they often just get stuck on the LCM and cannot drive off. Again recce the beach as some areas they can get stuck. I love the Islands but wonder if some of the trees couldnt be made to fall over ?

I dont know any other way but Im sure there must be one ?

Of course why would you need to land tanks with the all new Nickmow Frankentank LVT(A)1 kinda. I gave an attachto command to an Stuart, In this case I cheated and used the I44 M3A3 but you can use the HIP M5A1 which looks ugly in situ due to the engine hump but will actively engage targets with all guns. The M3 is probably looking for Germans :) , Give the Stuart Zero Fuel and in the init field something like Turret1 Attachto [Amtank1,[0,-0.4,0.6]]; Where Turret1 is the stuart and amtank1 is the LVT2. Add a squad of 4 and place one as driver for the lvt and the rest to crew the stuart. Pick your spot. but remember you wont be able to order the driver normally. You will have to give him map points to move to.

I know its a bit of a mongrel but as a self confessed LVT aholic with endless books and models I couldnt resist. As a standoff it sort of does in the landing phase :cool:

lvta1a.jpg

lvta1b.jpg

lvta1c.jpg

Aplogies to you splendid modders for creating mutant genetic experiments with your offspring :at647:

Edited by nickmow

At this point I realy have to say thankyou for your answeres guys. Looks like you put alot of effort in ^^. I have yet to try though and see if it works. I have another questions/wish regarding the flamethrower. Will you make it that the flames stay on the ground and that people burn and run screaming ( i know it might not be for everyone, but its realistic and realy gives a feeling of roughness and immersion. Maybe as part of a module. Secondly, could you make the flames stay on the ground longer than they used to in i44? maybe a minute or longer so that it realy gives a feeling of desctruction. Thats one of the major things I would realy appreciate to see. (hope im not sounding too demanding).

Funny thing is that the real LVT with the gun on top realy looks like they cut the upper part of a stuart off. :D -------->http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/LVTA1-amp25.JPG

Think im gonna glue a howitzer on my LVT. Or how about this one? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MXu96taKq-Y/SzxQp7MWaDI/AAAAAAAAEDo/dw-fvqPVN7o/s1600/7.jpg

Anyway, off spamming the beachead with tanks :)

Edited by Galaxiesaver

Funny thing is that the real LVT with the gun on top realy looks like they cut the upper part of a stuart off. :D -------->http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/LVTA1-amp25.JPG

Think im gonna glue a howitzer on my LVT. Or how about this one? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MXu96taKq-Y/SzxQp7MWaDI/AAAAAAAAEDo/dw-fvqPVN7o/s1600/7.jpg

Anyway, off spamming the beachead with tanks :)

Well the LVT (A)1. Did use a turret that was pretty similar to the M3 Stuart turret, not exactly but close enough. The engine and gear box, drives where all Stuart too. The LVT(A) 4 used the turret of an M8 GMC with a 75mm gun howitzer, which would be really quite useful ! Wish I had half a clue about modelling :) I'd have a go at doing a series of LVTs !