Sign in to follow this  
Dominus

Freezes solved?

Hiya All, first post.

I'm been having nightmares with both my own and brothers pc's with Resistance.

We could play with the mission editor just about fine bar one or two crashes/freezes.

But the Campaign would could our machines to lock up with either the game just freezing or the screen going BLACK!! Leaving the current sounds/music that were playing looping. REBOOT!!!

After installing old/new vga drivers to no avail and changing SWAP setting, defragging etc I have just tried disabling 4x AGP in the BIOS of my pc (PC#1 see below) and it has worked a treat!!!

OFPR now runs really smooth, with textures set to 2048x2048 (well there is a few choppy bits in large towns and with some sound effects, notably the motorcycle revs and trebants possibly my soundcard or DX8 acceleration)

I suggest anyone suffering freezes to first attempt the VIA fixes, I did, but they haven't worked for me, I am now going to try and disable 4xAGP on my brothers pc tommorow, and will post if it worked.

I also tried normal OFP on 2xAGP, it seemed more choppy than when it was on 4xAGP, it looked a lot worse as well compared to OFPR.

Maybe there is some problem with old Geforce cards and VIA chipset that OFPR is causing our systems to suffer from again even tho we have apparent fixes for them. Anyhow I'm going to investigate why my hardware cannot run 4xAGP for OFPR but it can for every other game. I MUST have 4xAGP for my new GF4 Ti 4200!!!!!

If you have similar specs to those below and are suffering freezes try 2xAGP in your BIOS. Oh and disable any tweaking progs that might try and set your card to 4xAGP( it could cause you more headaches)

PC#1

Athlon TBird 1Ghz@10x100

Abit KT7A-RAID 1.1 Mobo - latest BIOS

512Mb Crucial PC133 RAM

Hercules GF2 MX 64Mb

IBM 40 Gb Hdd

Creative SoundBlaster PCI 128

Pioneer 32xDVD-ROM

PC#2

Pentium 733Mhz Slot1

Abit VT694X Mobo - lates BIOS

512Mb Crucial PC133 RAM

Creative Geforce 256 Pro 32Mb DDR RAM

IBM 40Gb Hdd

Creative SoundBlaster AWE 64 Value

52xCD-ROM

I just tried setting my AGP back to 4x in my BIOS.

And I noticed something I changed earlier that I forgot to include above...

I reduced the AGP Aperture size down to the default 64Mb in BIOS as well.

Anyway, 4xAGP and 64Mb aperture isn't perfect, the game still seems to jarr every few seconds, but this could be sound related problems, I hope!!!

So those with crashes/freezes might also want ot try setting AGP Aperture size down to 64Mb or whatever your motherboard default is.

Good Luck!

Could you post a summary of these 2 posts into the "Recommended tuning suggestions" thread please? Thanks smile.gif

AGP 2x is 3volt, AGP 4x is 1.5volt. i would'nt submit my Gf3Ti500 to twice its intended voltage!!...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">***from Abit web~site******VIA KT333 / VIA VT8233A

Supports Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 IDE protocol

Supports Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI)

Accelerated Graphics Port connector supports AGP 2X(3.3V)and 4X(1.5V)mode (Sideband) device

Supports 200/266/333 MHz (100/133/166MHz Double Data Rate) Memory Bus Setting

<span id='postcolor'>

Just to update you all,

I've tried changing the AGP Aperture size on PC#2 (see previous post above) in the BIOS down to 64Mb, while leaving the AGP4x enabled.

Again, it has worked a treat on PC#2. I have just played the campaign from the beginning including all cutscenes, up to mission 2, with textures set to 1024. I can't believe it! not a single problem. No sound loops, crashes, no jitters bar the large towns and busy scenes.

I think PC#2's 32Mb of DDR RAM on graphics card really helps it over my SDR Ram on PC#1.

So anyone suffering sound problems, crashes, freezes might want to try and reduce their AGP Aperture size to 64Mb.

Just got my nw GF4 Ti4200's, gonna try then on both systems and see how far I can push them.

Bye for now

I just checked in RivaTuner and My Geforce3Ti500 DOES support 2x & 4x. so please ignore my previous comment, i think!!, i dont know if all graphics cards support this change or not though. get RivaTuner and check. you can change your AGP X~speed(if your BIOS has no option) with RivaTuner as well as a load of other compatibility options if you have VIA/Ali/SiS/ect.. chipsets.

Its worth downloading. very comprehensive.

hiya all,

I got my 2 new GF4 Ti4200,

some installation problems on PC#2, i think caused by old Creative Geforce Drivers, but fine now. These cards are fast!!

However I now think the problem wasn't the 4xAGP setting in the BIOS or RivaTuner (or whatever you use) but more a problem with the AGP Aperture size in the BIOS.

I am currently running the new GF Ti4200's with 4xAGP in BIOS ENABLED. And an AGP Aperture size of 64MB

Both pc's are running OFPR fine now with no freezes, memory-map problems, or lock-ups, ctd etc. The sound is still a little bit choppy at very few places (namely cutscenes - probably due to hdd loading).

N.B The above settings were also used for the old cards, just before the upgrade without problems too.

To test this theory I tried to run Tony Hawks 3 demo on PC#1 with an AGP aperture of 256mb (half the systems RAM) and it booted me back to desktop almost instantly with some sort of memory error (sorry can't remember specifics - it was late at night).

Has anyone suffering freezes and memory problems tried setting AGP aperture size to 64Mb (or your motherboards default)?

I would like to know if this has helped anyone.

Gook Luck!!!

hi

the looping sounds like a problem i had

it has something to do with via chipsets

get a pci latency patch here

it may cure your sound problems

take it easy

TrickyB

In your bios.......

..........."how do I get into the bios?"

Pay attention to your boot up screen, it will say something like "press del to go into bios (or setup)" may be del or F1 or anything like that smile.gif

Albert->If you didn't have any black screen lockup or freezes with OFPR I would leave you AGP aperture size alone mate.

I currently have mine set to 64mb which is the motherboard default. And mostly my system is fine, except for a few black screens with other games/demos. I think the problem is some infinate looping problem on some VIA chipsets wink.gif . I found an article about it once ( I'll have a look for it ).

I was always under the impression that the AGP aperture should be set to half of your system ram, in my case 256mb cos i have 512mb RAM, but this caused problems with OFP.

Other people have said that modern graphics cards with lots of memory ( ie 64mb or more) dont need a large aperture. And this makes sense if you look at what AGP Aperture is in my mobo manual:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> This option specifies the amount of system ram that can be used by the AGP device. The Aperture is a portion of the PCI memory address range dedicated for graphics memory address space. <span id='postcolor'>

Most modern AGP cards with large amounts of ram shouldn't need to use the system ram at all.

I dont think changing you AGP aperture will damage anything in your pc, it could just make it unstable with certain games.

Recently I thought my Athlon was dead or mobo faulty because it stopped POSTing when run with a 133 fsb. I sorted it though with a bit of research and luck. It turned out that my retailer-unlocked Athlon pencil markings had somehow become worn out even with a sticker over them. I redid the pencil unlocking and tried it, and it worked much to my amazement. But then my IBM hdd died a sudden death, got an RMA from IBM, but it didn't half annoy me!!!!!! mad.gif

If you didn't understand any of that last paragraph, dont worry  biggrin.gif  , its just an example to show you that pc parts can be more durable than you might think, obviously tho I try to take care of my hardware, and dont try anything risky without reading up on it first on hardware forums.

I never read more than the first two lines anyway tounge.gif (just kiddin). Okay I got your point! And in fact I got certain sound loops now but besides that OFPR works slightly better now, but this could only be my imagination.

I am just terribly frustrated since every moron seems to get great result except me.

I got a silly P4 1.3, 384 fastest RAM, and a Radeon 7500 but still get only a OFP score of 1666, this sucks somehow!

biggrin.gif

I've a bigger problem, when i play the campaign, the screen freez after a period of time, with an annoying high sound kkkkkkkkk. And than nothing, it doesn't go further it just stand still. I can't believe it, i formatted my harddrives (C and D) Installed Windows 2000 on my C: Flashpoint CWC, Flashpoint Gold Upgrade and Flashpoint Resistance on my D harddisk. Downloaded Patch 1.91 installed it, and still it crashes. I only have Invasion 1944 demo installed as addon (www.invasion44.com)

These are my specs.

AMD Athlon XP 2000+

512 MB RAM

GF 4 Ti 4200 64MB + tv-out

K7S5A motherboard

OS= Windows 2000

plz help because if i can't solv this problem i'm going to cry, and dump my PC out of the window

What sound card do you have?

Gielovic15, do you have the following things installed?

* Win 2000 SP3 or even SP4 (get it via Windows Update) ?

* DirectX 9.x (Also via Win Update)?

* The Microsoft W2k patch for AGP apps: .Link is down on the right side

* The correct chipset drivers from SiS for your ECS motherboard?

(Specifically, the SiS AGP driver, 1.16a is the latest, i think)

* Same thing for the sound chip on the motherboard, also on the ECS web site.

Note: I'm not sure which of the many K7S5A variants you have, so maybe you don't have onboard sound.

Or, if you do, you may not be using it but a separate card in stead. If so, like the good placebo said, tell us what card that is.

When all that is installed, get the latest drivers for the GF4 (44.03, officially, when I write this) from www.nvidia.com/

Hope it helps!

Oh, you may also want to flash the latest bios for your motherboard. Sometimes that fixes odd problems