Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

Standard LADDER dimension ref..?

'Sup..!

Right now, I'm trying to look for a ladder guide in the BI wiki.

I can't find a single ref for this feature- I want to build a ladder that goes from a floor up into an attic area, but have no idea for width, each rung radius or spacing between rungs etc...

Is there anywhere that has this information please..? And are things like floor height to the attic floor height important..? Ie, so the player doesn't "skip" or "jump" once at the top because heights are wrong..?

Cheers fellas,

Marc

I did a doc a long time ago about ladder dimensions but can't lay my hands on it atm... so from memory... i think i used to make the 'rungs' about 225mm - 250mm apart and about 40mm thick and about 400mm wide. There was I remember a sweet spot though in the size... Hopefully, I'll track down that document, but if not trial & error on your part is your best bet.

Also, you wanna have the ladder extend about 800mm I think above the point where the character gets off the ladder so it doesn't look like he's climbing in mid-air.

Don't take those dimensions as accurate though, my memory is not what it used to be. However, there is a good'ish way of you getting it fairly accurate. And, that is slap a character model temporarily into your building model and apply the climbing ladder .rtm to it. Scrubed it through and adjust your ladder topo appropriately.

It's not the quickest method in the book, but making all your models relative to the anims that will eventually run on them is pretty accurate. Don't ask me to remember the name of the climb ladder .rtm... you can track that down I'm sure, or someone else can let you know it.

Hi Synide..!

Thanks very much for that information mate, nice one.

I'm sort of just churning through building my models right now, without putting them into the engine. So I can blast through them basically, otherwise it'd be really stop/start for me.

Once I have a fair amount of various objects, then I'll try to get them in and LODed up etc.

So, for now, I have zero idea what "climb ladder.rtm" means, but I see where you're coming from and it's good to know that there IS a sweet spot for ladder modelling to make it look/feel correct.

If you could find that docu, I'll buy you a beer though... :D

Cheers again man, appreciated..!

Marc

FYI, typical real life (Australian) ladders:

stiles 450mm apart, widening to 600 for step-through landing

stiles must extend to handrail height which is 900 min above landing

rung diameter 20 min

rungs at equal spacings between 250-300 to suit total height (if ladder is shorter than 1.5m, rungs between 200-250)

ladders more than 6m tall require ladder cages

Thanks very much indeed ceeeb man..!

Aye, I've got a lot of different real life ladder sizes now, but really could do with the one standard in ARMA2 that works correct visually... :(