Sign in to follow this  
ChrisD

Patch V1.06

Hi, I am new to TOH, but not to ArmaII, which I have installed, along with OA, in the default location. I bought the 2 DVD boxed set of TOH, installed it to the default location, then used patch v1.06 downtown + rearmed. When I ran the game I got the first error 'config.bin/cfgGameUI/.....' pressed OK then got a 2nd error 'Error compiling pixel shader PSSpecularAlpha:0' The program then stopped. Ctrl-Alt-Del to get out. Used Windows to remove Rearmed & TOH ran OK.

Checked version & it is V1.06.96470. There is a rearmed folder in TOH, but it only has an uninstall prog. When I run TOH ArmaII (Chenarus, Ute) do not show in the Expansions list. ArmaII is patched to v1.11 & I think OA to 1.54.

My system is Win 7 64bit with i5 processor & ATI card - the PC is a few months old. Help please. Thanks, ChrisD

ChrisD please post your rpt file and a screenshot of your TKOH folder

also expain more clearly how you launch the game

thanks

Thanks .kju - I am not at my games PC at present, but I launch TOH from the desktop icon. I will send a screen shot when I am able. Regards, ChrisD

.kju - just re-reading your request - what is the rpt file & by screenshot of the TKOH folder I assume you mean the files & folders in it?

Regards, ChrisD

.kju I have the 2 items you asked for - the TOH folder is a JPG of 55kb & the RPT file is 1.91Mb - but how do I get them to you? Sorry to be a nuisance! Regards, ChrisD

Hi .kju - I just had a quick look at the rpt file & see that many items are listed twice! Before I take up any more of your time, I will completely un-install TOH & then re-install & see what version no. is shown - it could be that it is already v1.06 out of the box. I will let you know the result. Apologies for the delays - life gets in the way of simulations! Regards, ChrisD

.kju - just tried again with the same result. Will delete everything & start again. After that it goes out of the window & I will go back to Black Shark!! Regards, ChrisD

well just show me the rpt. i will filter it myself and figure out whats wrong most likely.

It seems the expansions list broke the mod loading order.

You have three options:

1) Use a community launcher tool to sort the load order automatically

2) Use batch files to specify load order correctly yourself

3) Locate the TakeOnH.cfg, delete it and hope the game picks up the correct load order from the registry the next time you launch TKOH

@

C:\Users\ACC\Documents\Take On Helicopters

or

C:\Users\ACC\Documents\Take On Helicopters Other Profiles\customProfile

See also: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Take_On_Helicopters_-_Rearmed#Shortcut

Launcher tools: Six Updater and a few others

Not sure if this is a solution as I havent COMPLETELY tested it but,

the ingame Expansions menu actually allows you to select each (not the core game files, though) and click Up or Down to reorder them. I for one hate using third party apps except when it's prohibitive not to (ie when joining multiplayer games to sync mods, etc), and this should be a fix that doesn't require any, that also doesn't require .cfg editing. Of course editing the .cfg is probably not such a bad idea either.

.kju - thanks for your prompt reply. In order of your answers - 1) I already use an ARMAII launcher ( by Kegetys?) for ARMAII & mods (mostly aircraft) I have. This works OK. Is this what you mean? 2) I'll pass. 3) I'll do that later & see what happens. With my limited knowledge of the programs I agree with you. TOH works OK if I remove Rearmed using Windows Control Panel which has an entry - Rearmed Uninstall. This leaves TOH upgraded to V1.06 but no Rearmed. I'll let you know. Regards, ChrisD

.kju - no difference with removing the .cfg file. A question that occurred to me - why me? Why is my update not installing in the correct order? It is downloaded from the BI site, & I have now tried 4 times with the same result. I may be new to BI, but certainly not to installing patches & upgrades. I have the correct patch - V1.01 to V1.06 Full. My TOH is genuine (from Game stores) Any thoughts? If not, then I think I'll give up. TOH works OK by itself. ARMA II works OK by itself. I will go back to Black Shark which I am still learning how to fly properly. Regards, ChrisD

Uninstall does not remove the profiles. So that wont help.

Only removing (the right) files yourself will give you a clean start.

Again I suggest you to look into a community launcher tool.

The linked BIKI page explains the needed order and the apps support setting the order.

A question that occurred to me - why me?

Despite the impression you may get, nobody that I'm aware of got everything working as such "out of the box". kju has been giving people assistance in this kind of thread ever since the last patch. Some of us got things working, most probably gave up and stopped coming back to the forum.

I hate to sound cynical but as far as I see it, that's how it is. The core fan base for this game seems to consist of about 10 people.

EDIT: also, I've noticed no comment on my last post... afaik the game itself supports setting the order from within the Expansions menu.

Edited by dwringer

.kju - I think we have reached the end of the line for the moment. I carefully read the Wiki & known issues 2 is the exact problem I have when I start TOH. However - 1) I DO have a genuine CD of ARMAII & 2) I have patched it to V1.11 - so something is preventing TOH from finding the Registry entry for ARMAII. I stress again - ARMAII works perfectly, installed in the default location & patched up to V1.11 with no problems. I have no idea what the problem is, but I will leave it for the time being & may get a PC expert to look at the registry entries. Anyway, thank you very much for your time & trouble. Happy Xmas! Regards, ChrisD

dwringer - just seen your last post. My problem is that I cannot run TOH until I uninstall Rearmed from the program - so the expansions menu contains only TOH. I do have Arma OA installed & that has Expansions but does not pick up TOH or Rearmed.

The registry detection is certainly not very robust. But thats due to the nature of windows and the complexity of the system itself.

In general, as long as you have valid registry entries, run the game with admin permissions, and do not mess in the expansions menu, it will work fine.

However as these are not true for all, and people like to combine TKOH with community addons/mods using the expansion menu, issues do appear.

Thats just the situation as it is.

The recommendation to use community launcher tools is still the best approach as they can handle it fine and have a lot more flexibility and are more robust.

If people don't want to follow that route, or use batch files or have (or cause) problems with the default system, unfortunately not much can be done.

I have the exact problem like ChrisD. After my Arma:OA2 quited to work. I completely reinstalled it and applied the latest patch. Arma2 now works but when starting ToH I got the same error: 'config.bin/cfgGameUI/.....' pressed OK then got a 2nd error 'Error compiling pixel shader PSSpecularAlpha:0' The program then stopped. When uninstall Rearmed, ToH will work normal, but I can`t continue the career because of content missing errors. So reinstall ToH will not work? So better to use that community launcher, will it work then?

As much as I tell from ChrisD logs his mod launcher order is mixed and breaks the game therefore.

The same is probably true for you. If you set the modline, like community launcher tools do, that configuration is ignored and just the one used supplied by the tool.

I am very glad that someone else has exactly the same problem as me with Rearmed & TOH. Can I just clarify this launcher mention? I use a launcher from Armaholic used by thousands of users. I do have mods, installed as per recommendations not in the AddOn folder. The launcher allows me to pre select which mods I want to use. If I do not select any then the base program runs & NO mods are loaded. So the point about mod launcher order being mixed is incorrect. In fact I have run ARMAII not using the launcher at all - it still runs OK & I still have the same problem with TOH. Anyone else have this problem? Regards, ChrisD