Sign in to follow this  
Phantom Six

Just Got ARMA CWC. 1.99 or 1.96

I just got Cold War Assault (original FLashpoint) after wanting to try the original after trying out ARMA 2. I see that most people play on 1.96 still and I'm wondering if I should stay on 1.99 or downpatch to 1.99. Do organized community play on 1.99 or 1.96? I see most pubs play on 1.96 and I'm wondering whether I should go to 1.96 or 1.99.

I also got myself the OFP Launcher from kegety's site here http://www.kegetys.fi/ofp/index.php?p=others .

I'm also wondering what addons I should get and is there any mega mission pack I can download all in one batch instead of individually search for a couple missions. Thanks.

Personally I would always suggest to stay up to date with patches and to stick with the 1.99. It saddens me that the already small community is fragmented even more between people using 1.96 and 1.99. There were some problems with the initial release of the CWA patch which left a bad impression on some people, but all that has been fixed now. In very rare occasions there's been some incompatibilities with addons running on CWA, like the CoC artillery, but even that got a hotfix for CWA users. There's a few new useful mission editing commands that came with the patch too, but not much. There's also no Linux server, which might be another major reason to not to update. Overall, I think the CWA patch did more damage to the community than it did whatever its purpose was, but I'd still stick to the 1.99 version. If possible, you could of course have both versions installed to get the best of everything.

Personally I would always suggest to stay up to date with patches and to stick with the 1.99. It saddens me that the already small community is fragmented even more between people using 1.96 and 1.99. There were some problems with the initial release of the CWA patch which left a bad impression on some people, but all that has been fixed now. In very rare occasions there's been some incompatibilities with addons running on CWA, like the CoC artillery, but even that got a hotfix for CWA users. There's a few new useful mission editing commands that came with the patch too, but not much. There's also no Linux server, which might be another major reason to not to update. Overall, I think the CWA patch did more damage to the community than it did whatever its purpose was, but I'd still stick to the 1.99 version. If possible, you could of course have both versions installed to get the best of everything.

I agree with you.:)

In that case should i copy and paste my ofp folder, make a duplicate, leave one on 1.99 and the other downpatch to 1.96? Are there any addons that you recommend me download? Client side ones and custom island units stuff.

Any mission packs i should grab as well to download them all in one go instead of browsing one by one?

If you have 1.99 you can't "downpatch". The only people that can run 1.96 are owners of OFP: Cold War Crisis + the Resistance expansion pack, or the Game of the Year edition. I have both installed, but only play on 1.99. The 1.96 installation is only used for running Bulldozer to preview my models (since it won't work on the newer version).

Phantom check out the TacOps server. It's run by Anguis, an active CiA member. There's a thread about it on the MP forum.

It's using several mods, including BAS and the Finnish Defence Forces mod.

In that case should i copy and paste my ofp folder, make a duplicate, leave one on 1.99 and the other downpatch to 1.96? Are there any addons that you recommend me download? Client side ones and custom island units stuff.

ARMA CWA (1.99) installs into a different folder [C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive], it's not really a "patch". You can run either 1.96 or 1.99.

Most of the time I use 1.96 and use 1.99 just to connect to servers running 1.99.

Any addons or missions you want to use will have to be in which ever version you choose to use at the time, or both if you want.

Edited by Zulu1

ARMA CWA (1.99) installs into a different folder [C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive], it's not really a "patch". You can run either 1.96 or 1.99.

Most of the time I use 1.96 and use 1.99 just to connect to servers running 1.99.

Any addons or missions you want to use will have to be in which ever version you choose to use at the time, or both if you want.

I doubt the steam version has 1.96 on it.

Phantom check out the TacOps server. It's run by Anguis, an active CiA member. There's a thread about it on the MP forum.

It's using several mods, including BAS and the Finnish Defence Forces mod.

Does he uses 1.96 or 1.99 Variable? Any mission packs you recommend me download as well all in 1 go or just search them up individually through the CiA mission list? Are there also any of those client side addons like in ARMA 2 with the Hud addons or tweaks like Pradar, MK4, True Users and stuff like that?

Does he uses 1.96 or 1.99 Variable?

I suppose they use 1.96 but you can ask Anguis in the TacOps thread.

Any mission packs you recommend me download as well all in 1 go or just search them up individually through the CiA mission list?

Definitely! Nagual's missions were the best in my opinion. I recently put a lot of effort into collecting all his work into a pack and its hosted on ofpr.info. Click the link and scroll down to "Nagual's collection of missions and campaigns" and get the pack. It includes SP, MP and campaigns, start with the campaigns. They are freaking awesome.

Are there also any of those client side addons like in ARMA 2 with the Hud addons or tweaks like Pradar, MK4, True Users and stuff like that?

Yeah, I remember playing ECP which is the OFP equivelant to Arma 2's ACE mod. You can get it here. Seems like there's also a patch for it now here. As far as I remember at least Nagual's mission ran fine with it.

Edited by Variable
Added link to ECP patch

OFP's equivalent of ACE mod is WGL not ECP. Simply because WGL is ACE mod :)

http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/WarGames_League_Mod;69927

But ECP is great too. When combined with GRAA 3 that is since GRAA improves animations considerably, adds leaning and very nice and much more detailed models.

http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/GRAA_modpack;80068

GRAA3 comes with ECP compatible config.bin so no need to mess with C code to make both of them work at the same time.

I see most pubs play on 1.96 and I'm wondering whether I should go to 1.96 or 1.99.

If you got Cold War Assault you are at 1.99 already

People stayed with 1.96 because when 1.99 was released there were some issues which were fixed a month later. Plus some mods refused to install (ECP included) if they didn't find RESISTANCE.exe in game's folder (obviously easily solved). That is foolish if anything since 1.99 brings some network improvements and fixes some WinXP/Win7 compatibility issues.

And if you want some cool eye-candy I recommend you install WGL Island textures and hisky mod.

http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/WGL_Texture_Replacement_Pack;52912

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=3844

Will make your OFP look much better without any gameplay changes

(with some effort you can take OFP from this to this)

Edited by metalcraze

Oh, my bad regarding ECP. I confused it with WGL. However, my recommendation on ECP still stands. I would also like to join metalcraze in recommending hisky mode. It's a must!

Will make your OFP look much better without any gameplay changes

(with some effort you can take OFP from this to this)

The only downside is that the change to your frames per second will be equally impressive :(

Does anyone know of a better addon launcher? I can't seem to get the others working right.

Does anyone know of a better addon launcher? I can't seem to get the others working right.

There is OFP Mod selector (not sure if it works with 1.99)

http://www.fileplanet.com/164142/download/Operation-Flashpoint:-Resistance---Mod-Selector-v1.6.5.10

And Powerusers OFP Monitor (works with both 1.96 and 1.99)

http://ofpmods.webs.com/downloads.htm

I second OFP Monitor. What's wrong with OFP Watch?

I tried it with 1.99 and it didin't want to work.

Got it - I should have figured that out.

I ca see your server on OFPMonitor again! Thank you.

Take care.