Sign in to follow this  
dreamagain

New to Arma - What do I need so I can start playing multiplayer?

Do I need mods and stuff? A lot of the servers are DayZ and I know that's a mod, but I'm trying to join the non-DayZ mod servers and it won't let me. Thx :D

I try to join other servers but I just get kicked off.

Edited by dreamagain

dreamagain

If I was in your position I wouldn't worry about mods and stuff. Just look for a vanilla server and try if you like the gameplay. It makes sense to look for the website of the clan hosting the server and learn somehting about them. Perhaps you can join their Teamspeak.

If you find that you like the game you may want to think about your preferred style of play (casual gaming or "realistic", COOP or PvP, etc.) Then you can start looking for a community to play with regularly. Ask these guys for the mods they use and that's it. In the long run finding the right people matters more than finding the right mods.

if you want to start off the easiest way to do this is by using six updater and the server presets.

if you need any help setting up six updater just send a pm and ill answer :)

When you start the game using the same shortcut as your Dayz (launch game with Beta.exe or whatever it's called) you may have trouble connecting to regular servers. You should use the Arma2OA.exe (once again that may not be the exact name) one that is in your main Arma2 directory for standard games. You can make a shortcut of it to add addition parameters like -nosplash -maxmem or mods using the -mod= command.

I would say try to connect to some server that may be red or yellow if you are having a hard time finding one that is listed as vanilla. You will find a list of mods used on that server in the lower pane of your screen when you click on a server. When you connect to a server be sure to watch the message of the day as the game server loads, most servers list their TS addresses so you can connect and talk to someone about connecting.

We host a server that usually runs a lot of vanilla missions. But we do have a lot of mods also and they are supported on the Six Updater. Our server will usually show up red or yellow for most people because of the mods we have loaded (and there are a lot). We are a friendly group that does not take the game really serious so mistakes are allowed. If you don't have mods we will usually play vanilla missions (we have plenty) and give you a chance to get used to the game and us. If you like playing with us then you can get the mods (which is worth it, we have bunches of Coop missions of all different types). If you want to give us a try our server is [LOL] New Majors. On our server you can tell which type of missions we are playing by the @ sign in the mission title. If it has the @ sign, mods are used in the mission. Without the @ sign, it is a vanilla mission. Not sure if other servers follow this method.

Edited by Muerte65

Welcome to the Armaverse dreamagain. There are still a few vanilla servers out there. As with Muerte the community I game with are still running a vanilla domination server which does still see some good use.

If you do start installing mods I recommend using this tool for managing your different mod loadouts :http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8241 I can send you a How To guide I created for using Six Updater and that launch tool too if you want.

That tool will make it easier for you to deselect mods you don't want to run any more which should help with your troubles connecting to servers.

If you are going to play DayZ I also suggest using DayZ Commander. It is a nice tool that will not only keep your DayZ files up to date it is also a DayZ mod server browser and game launcher. It will save you having to create shortuts to your Arma2OA.exe with all the additional parameters.

If you need any more help give me a shout. I can be found on steam @ iOGC_Aenigma|UK|