Sign in to follow this  
Donny

ST coordinates

Hello everybody,

The last weeks I worked myself into creating models and objects for my island project.

Now I get the idea of creating an own weapon model, texturing and shape form worked well and it is now done so far.

When I hit the option to check faces, I get 3 components. One of them is called "can not create ST coordinates" the selected vertices for that are the ones which I create only with single points. Created cylinders and boxes are ok, only the created points gets marked as components without ST coordinates.

The other 2 components are about non linear and convex faces ( but u have read that this is only important for geometry)

Can I leave this as it is or would make this trouble in game later?

(Geometry Lod is fine)

I have searched forum to find a similar problem. And don't find something.

If anyone had a solution what to do with that, I am really appreciated with that :)

Greetings donny

Cannot create ST coordinates means that there is a face that is too small (or something) and the binarizer can't create surface tangents for that face. Surface tangents are important for rendering lighting with a normal map. All in all, I've never found the errors to have any real visual effect, so if the thing is rendering properly, you can ignore them. You might try merging vertices with a small threshold or recalculating the normals of the model to see if that makes any difference.

I usually get this problem with bad UV layouts. Keep in mind, that the triangles representing proxies also generate this error. Since you are only getting points it sounds like you might have some edges (2 connected vertices). Since edges can't hold UV information they also generate this error. I use third-party programs for my modelling, so I have no clue how to delete edges only in O2, I'm sure someone else can help you there. Max is right though, you can usually ignore them if they are edges.

Thank you both for that helpful answer :)

The rendering is properly, but I will watch over it and see if I can optimize the vertices and faces.

Thanks!