Sign in to follow this  
Ragnar_Darude

How to land the Hind

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but how do I land the Hind? The fields of South East Asia is littered with hundreds of my crashed Mi-24s. I've flown DCS:Blackshark for years and even though I remember I struggled with the landings at first I don't remember I thought it was THIS difficult. Its a lot that's different for sure (no autopilot, torque effect etc) but I'm soon giving up on reliably putting the bird down. The Light and Medium helicopter seems a lot easier to land (especially the Medium one). What am I doing wrong? I play Expert/Veteran mode ofcourse... Appreciate any help!

As far as I know the Hind isn't easy to land irl as well (btw I found the Black Shark to be incredibly easy to land).

Be careful with the pedals and don't try to land out of a hover at first because that's really really hard. Make the final approach at ~50-60knots and slow down to ~25knots before touchdown then roll out. That's how I do it most of the time.

I have tried it out but I still find it ridiculously difficult. Maybe I have some negative learning from the Ka-50 (for example it pitches up when raising the collective and vice versa, other way around in ToH). I just tried flying the Blackshark without autopilot/damper and HUD and its still somewhere near 1000 times more easy for me. Is there anywhere I can turn to even out the learning curve?

Doing it in the steps suggested by the take on tutorial might help. I find it difficult to handle in a precise way, too. I think it helps if you try to control it into a hover and then work on the rate of descent

I think my biggest problem is a too sensitive collective (put it down one millimeter and the helicopter do a forward flip). Are there any way to lower the sensitivity of the throttle?

It's been a while but I don't remember the hind handling like that. Are you positive that you don't have the collective bound to the cyclic or some weird thing?

Like Max Power said, check if the collective is assigned correctly. I fly with the Warthog throttle as collective and I can make very precise adjustments (I don't use the Warthog stick for TOH though).

Here is how I learned.. Nothing special except the ~40-50% right pedal while hovering.

Harder and harder..

AUa-4Mdh3R8

9PkIMCikUlo?hd=1

edJWimPjL_0?hd=1

ajRkpLhAsx4

Edited by hon0

When I read your post I thought that that must be it but no, turns out I assigned it correctly now that I checked it. I rock a 15 year old Saitek X36 HOTAS and I guess the travel range of the throttle is too small. Is there any way to decrease the sensitivity, at least in the middle region? Thanks for all the help!

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

Wow! You make it look so easy! You don't use the trim a lot? Im thinking I might be over-using the trim. What kind of stick/throttle/pedals do you use? What curvature do you use on the pedals?

Edited by Ragnar_Darude

I'm just going to muddy the waters here and say that I use a saitek x52 and I'm not experiencing any weird controller problems.

edit: I just took ye olde hind out for a spin to assess the landing and I didn't really find any difference between it and the other helicopters in terms of strange handling traits.

Edited by Max Power

No I don't use the C.U 3 anymore since the 1.04 update. It was done for 1.03. Then If I remember well It was broken.

Nope but today it's fine with the "normal" TOH.

Some link about my config.

The only "problem" I meet today with TOH in the MED. I findhe have a strange behavior on the rudder. (Too powerfull // But may be it's just me).

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

I rock a 15 year old Saitek X36 HOTAS and I guess the travel range of the throttle is too small. Is there any way to decrease the sensitivity, at least in the middle region? Thanks for all the help!

Show the HUD and look at the fourth (I think) panel. On the right side of it you'll see the current value of your collective input. Check if it's really analogue or not. If it's fine..

OMG I did it! I followed a advice from the ED forums about deleting all bindings on the joystick, then I set up my config just like above. Now it's sooo much easier. I just landed safely on a cistern, no problems. The violent pitch up/down behavior when moving the collective have disappeared. I even tried moving the collective fast all the way up and all the way down and the chopper doesn't do a somersault like it did before. Now it's very stable! It's like night and day! Here I was, sure the problem was between the keyboard and the chair, and it turns out it wasn't!

THANK YOU ALL for helping me out on this one!!!

No I don't use the C.U 3 anymore since the 1.04 update. It was done for 1.03. Then If I remember well It was broken.

Nope but today it's fine with the "normal" TOH.

Some link about my config.

The only "problem" I meet today with TOH in the MED. I findhe have a strange behavior on the rudder. (Too powerfull // But may be it's just me).

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Show the HUD and look at the fourth (I think) panel. On the right side of it you'll see the current value of your collective input. Check if it's really analogue or not. If it's fine..

The links are down. Do you mind reuploading?

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Also, mind linking me to that thread, ragnar? I'm having troubles finding the correct spot for this game.