Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

PlanetSide 2

I don't see that many snipers.

Are you sure you and I are playing the same game?

The nade and tank spam is normal since the fights become a mess, once alot of people fight in small bases! Jet rocket pods are a bit annoying, but they can be countered with AA.

I hardly call The Crown a small base. While I'm not disputing it's not normal, I hardly call it fun to be shelled/naded every two seconds.

Edited by Hans Ludwig

200 certs in 2 hours??!!! That's impossible

Admittedly, I am a subscriber (on my third month) and additionally had a +50% XP boost equipped, giving me between +85% and +90% XP bonus, depending on population. Under these circumstances, aswell as being able to sneak up behind and kill massive groups of enemies, yes it is very possible. :)

I just finished a new Machinima for Planetside 2 called Collision of Empires, enjoy:

this game might benefit from a more sensible art style. right now it looks like a cartoon. a real shame. the environments are amazing. the bright pruple and red power suits and war machines that populates it? not so much.

PS2 was such a let down. I let the awesome community interaction by the devs fool me in to thinking SOE wasn't going to rush a half-assed product out the door just to rake in cash. Tech test showed the game had real potential. Then they announced the release date. *shudder*

IMHO as a long time vet of the original Planetside the art style is fine, apart from the VS literally being the color of night (just one of many noob mistakes for a "AAA" dev team). The game suffers from short-sighted engine and base design, poor faction balance, worse map flow, and a complete lack of meta game.

I mean, I hate to talk shit when I'm not in the biz, but who makes bases with only two entrances when you know there are going to be a few HUNDRED players fighting over those choke points, and that your netcode can only handle like 50? It's like half these guys never worked on a game before.

Part of me still holds out hope that in a couple of months it will be worth playing again, but I've been telling my self that since before launch. :(

Edited by Fuse

The biggest problem I have with PS2, is the cert grinding. The game is no P2W at all, but it's pure farming! The cert gain is too low, so most people quit because they don't bother farming for a month just to unlock a weapon!

The biggest problem I have with PS2, is the cert grinding. The game is no P2W at all, but it's pure farming! The cert gain is too low, so most people quit because they don't bother farming for a month just to unlock a weapon!

PS1 required a huge time sink to round out your character, but it never felt like a grind. You were fighting because the only way the Terran Republic was getting their hands on that Biolab was over your dead body, not because you needed to get 985 more kills to advance your character. The cert gain wouldn't be an issue if the game made you want to play it for years like the original did, but right now it just doesn't draw you in like that.

PS2 was such a let down. I let the awesome community interaction by the devs fool me in to thinking SOE wasn't going to rush a half-assed product out the door just to rake in cash. Tech test showed the game had real potential. Then they announced the release date. *shudder*

IMHO as a long time vet of the original Planetside the art style is fine, apart from the VS literally being the color of night (just one of many noob mistakes for a "AAA" dev team). The game suffers from short-sighted engine and base design, poor faction balance, worse map flow, and a complete lack of meta game.

I mean, I hate to talk shit when I'm not in the biz, but who makes bases with only two entrances when you know there are going to be a few HUNDRED players fighting over those choke points, and that your netcode can only handle like 50? It's like half these guys never worked on a game before.

Part of me still holds out hope that in a couple of months it will be worth playing again, but I've been telling my self that since before launch. :(

That's the first thing I wrote after learning the release date, that the game would end up being a 6 month fun deal, then on the decline.

Mind you, I find the game terribly good and addictive despite its huge flaws.

But by the time they'll do the necessary changes to make the game work properly (and I'm still naive enough to think they intend to do so, and will do), I'm afraid too many people will have left the ship already.

It's to me already worth playing and a blast once you get out of the solo playing in the middle of a MMO (this can be fun in ESF, though). In a sizeable group, the game is really good, depending on the ability of the platoon leader to direct the platoon with the goal of finding a good fight and enjoyable time for his crew, instead of trying to win for his empire.

For sure, the game can still be a lot of fun, but even with the larger outfits I find the fighting starts to feel a bit stale without the meta game to back it up. It's fun, but it doesn't stand out over more traditional titles. I got in on the second day of the Tech Test and played the shit out of that and beta, so by the time the game launched the combat it self was fun but nothing special.

I'm also a little bitter that so many of the fans concerns were ignored prior to launch. I have yet to see an issue that wasn't brought up by a player during the beta. To put it bluntly, PS1 vets knew what needed to be done and the PS2 team did not. "We don't want to just copy PS1," then they put shields on spawn rooms instead of pain fields and act shocked when people stay in and set up a turret when the base flips? Spawn rooms are still a complete disaster and need to be scrapped. The inability to clear them and destroy the tubes makes taking down the spawn generator pretty ineffective. Any one who played PS1 for a week, and many of the devs claim they did, should have seen that coming. The vets did, and we warned SOE long before beta ended.

Hell, I'm still waiting for them to extend the out of bounds area so it isn't 50 ft from one of the biolabs. I remember specifically when Higby said they didn't want player idling outside of the fighting I tweeted him, "Give them a reason not to, don't place invisible barriers on an MMO map. A pilot can't even circle biolab (I forget the name) without going out of bounds." He replied that they were looking better ways of doing it and that even if they kept the out-of-bounds over the land they weren't happy with how tight they were. That was the last I ever heard and the out-of-bounds zone never moved despite continued complaints (unless they did move them in the past month or so, but I doubt it). There are even some structures in game, clearly laid down to be small outposts, that are outside of the playable area. That is an atrocity in a game that uses terms like "open world" to describe it self.

SOE did seem like they were listening at first (eg. Higby's reply to my tweet about the barriers), but much like the vets here are experiencing, once SOE starting incorporating social media and voting in to development real issues were buried under requests for knife takedowns and the ability to go prone. That allowed SOE to ignore the vets without much community backlash because they weren't the ones getting upvoted to the front page of /r/planetside. There are just a lot of things we asked for in beta, got promising responses to, and then were ignored in the push to start the money rolling in. Releasing a half-assed product just so you can start funding the development with in-game purchases is a sheisty move, especially when many of your fans already plopped down $30, devoted months of their time to trying to help you, purchased piles of Station Cash, and have been waiting for the game for about a decade. You don't exploit those kinds of fans for money if you want to keep them, and they're the ones who will be (or should I say "would have been") playing five years from now.

I definitely agree with your concern about player counts. That is exactly what happened to the original Planetside. I think SOE is hoping that the F2P model and free buzz from social media can bring players back in sufficient numbers when the game is more fleshed out. They definitely saw the backlash from releasing an incomplete game coming, as you can tell by the multiple times they said, "A free to play game is never finished." It may never be "finished", but it sure can be incomplete. It seems like they've got some great ideas and are heading in the right direction, I just don't know how long until we see the changes in game... Or if they'll be implemented properly... Or if anyone will still be interested when they do.

Ok, my bitterness turned that in to a wall of text. I'm going to stop now since no one's going to read all that anyways. I still want the game to be good, and the devs seem like cool people, I'm just frustrated and insulted. I really hope they make me eat my hat at some point.