Sign in to follow this  
USAF77

Would like to learn ARMA

I have experience in other FPS and flight games but every time I get started with ARMA I end up giving up. All the keymapping, which to choose, setting up controllers, learning the game, kinda overwhelms me. Now with 3 approaching I kinda like to give it another try. Any squads recruiting that would like to help a mature 54yo along, and end up getting a valued member? Thank you.

lol i did uninstall arma1 three times before getting into it... i'm 14 years younger and i never rtfm ... wish you luck though cause A3 might be pretty much the same controls / keymapping... and a similar learning curve should expected afaik... cheers!

I would just leave the keybinds as default. For the most part I find them not that much more difficult than any other FPS. When you get into commanding AI and the like it gets pretty complicated and backwards, but if all you'd like to do is play simple infantryman stuff at first (I'd recommend hopping in the Armory and running around a bit) it's really not that bad.

Here's (in my opinion) what you need to know for standard pub or even clan gameplay:

WASD movement, pretty straightforward

Two different zoom levels (right mouse toggle and hold differences), aiming down sights

The wonders of the scroll wheel menu

Freelook w/ ALT key

Switching weapons with F

Stances - Z, X, and C

Basic understanding of ARMA's toggle controls - Doubletapping most commands (shift for run, alt for freelook, control for lowering weapon) vs. holding them down

How to read/open the map and compass (M and K keys)

Mods - If you choose to play with them. I'd hold back on doing too much with the gear system if you want to play online, as ACE (one of the most commonly used mods) really changes it. ACRE IMO is essential, but there are so clans that play without it.

I figure that's oversimplifying it, but do you want to play online or singleplayer predominately? If you want SP you'll need to learn a bit more and how to control the AI, but for MP I've found most open communities are happy to teach if you're willing to listen.

Just keep replaying that boot camp MOUT training while using all the FPS commands you already know (plus freelook, lean and stances). Once that's intuitive, the extra stuff, which isn't critical, will come in time.

Train yourself in the editor, slap down some easy targets and do things at your own pace.

I do have some key binding tweaks for vehicles, but dont alter infantry binds. Though I'm afraid that it may only confuse you more, Just stick with the defaults till you work out which bits you dislike then work back from there.

Good luck and stick with it, the game WILL reward you.

Oh and not to keep you wondering what my key binds are.

Use 'turn left' and 'turn right' instead of the yaw pedals directly.

The 'turn' uses a combination of rudder and bank that favor’s bank as you move faster. So the effect at slow speeds is quite fine control of the rudder.

I have 'turn’ left/right with 'pitch’ up/down mapped to my mouse for chopper flying, but use the traditional pitch-bank combo on my joystick for fixed wing.

Also remapped keyboard Q=left rudder, W=throttle up E= right rudder, A=left bank, S=throttle down, D=right bank, Z=left turn, X=right turn, C=get-out, C double tap=eject

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

I have never really been a fan of keyboard game play, but with this series its sort of obligatory, however, I have got around it a little by having a Razer Nostromo for my left hand and a decent mouse for the right, one that has a few side buttons etc. The keyboard is still used, but a lot less.

The Nostromo is highly configurable, with eight keymap setups, but really I use one keymap on the whole which controls my character through all combat, plus driving/flying vehicles and aircraft, obviously with the help from the mouse. Both hands working together, its comfortable and natural as your hands are to each side. Yes, you may still have to use the keyboard but I find it’s a lot easier, you could of course configure the nos with further keymaps and more or less do away with the keyboard altogether, that’s upto the user, I still use the keyboard a little.

Age wise, its sort of snap, albeit I’m a year younger than yourself, that said I have been pc gaming for ever it seems like, even though as said above, never really liked keyboard game play..

Regards the game, its all about the Editor for me, you can make simple missions in minutes, more complicated missions you work upto. Also you can go into the editor and just fly or drive around a little getting used to the maps that are available. Look at the different times of day and weather conditions that can be set, it really is the place to be.

Everything is possible in the Editor to provide thousands of hours of hobby interest, never ever gets boring..

Anyway the Nostromo and a decent mouse, I have a couple, the one I use at the mo is a Roccat Kone+, not too many buttons but just enough when used with the Nostromo, have to say it’s a formidable combination. Once you get familiar with using them and set it up the way you like, then its very easy and natural. Just a thought, might be something to look into..

Train yourself in the editor, slap down some easy targets and do things at your own pace.

I think your best bet is this, this is what I did when I first got into the game for OFP back in 2001.

What you do is start the game, and then go to SP, go to the editor, pick a map, and star it, it will load, and then doubleclick on the map anywhere and you will have inserted a solder.

From there just hit Save (on right) name your game test or something simple, and then hit preview towards bottom,

this will allow you to play your mission right away, in a few secs if not right away you should be ingame.

From there setup your controls based on what you know and can understand, and just run around, shoot the guns, and try stuff out,

once you figure your controls out, then you may want to try a mission, up to you.

This may help:

Default controls

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/armacontrols2vh3.jpg/

Yeah map editor's great. There are the Boot Camp missions too for the very basics but once you know the basic controls it's probably easier to just mess around in the editor, plus you can train in all vehicles and everything. You can then place down one or two units to attack and eventually place whole groups once you're more experienced and do whatever you want.

By the way if you're interested in any of the DLC I'd like to let you know the Steam sale is now on, each one is only £4.79 - before they were £7.99.

Thanks for all the replys fellas. Looks like a great community. I have vacation coming up and will give it a real go. One thing Ive noticed is some online games have a later version needed to get into them. Is this Beta Gaming? Cause Steam tells me I have latest installed. Als what is "Ace"? Thanks much, have a great bird day.

As long as you're on v1.62 you're good. Current betas are also compatible with 1.62 so you can run the beta if you wish, but is not mandatory to play online.

ACE is a mod that makes the game more realistic. Highly recommended. But it also adds a heap of different game mechanics so i'd suggest to get your head around "vanilla" Arma first, then give ACE a try once you're comfortable with controls and how the core game works.