Sign in to follow this  
dale

War Thunder [MMO]

Hey guys

Been playing War Thunder lately as it seemed like a good idea, and its actually turned out to be a blast :)

heres an excerpt from their website about the game.

War Thunder is an MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armored vehicles, and fleets. You will take part in all of the major combat battles, fighting with real players all over the world.

War Thunder offers a highly detailed and personalized aviation experience, giving players access to hundreds models of planes with detailed cockpits, dozens of upgradeable weapons, and flying skills that can be honed and improved with each mission. Thanks to the game’s painstaking attention to detail, you’ll truly feel like a World War II fighter pilot as you plunge into battle.

Give it a try and see what you think, and if you need any help just ask, im no veteran yet but I know some things which might seem confusing at first.

Heres the link to the game

http://warthunder.com/

Regards

Dale

Just a word of warning, dont play on Simulator level if you dont have your joystick plugged in, I was like "yep im simulator level for sure" thinking more difficult enemies, cockpit view etc, to my horror the mouse plus cockpit are awful, "%£$& wheres my joystick!" came to mind and it was much better afterwards.

I have to say ive had a few dinks already, and so far ive died of Flak hitting the plane (didnt explode but ripped the wing off), one wing being shot up so it had more holes than a LGBT rally, fueselage got hit and all the fuel went so I had to glide it down to a friendly field, crashed into someone doing a head on attack and the general deaths that you get with good pilots.

Currently flying a Hurricane and a Typhoon, very good to fly both, other factions Ive played but not really invested in :)

I want to do the German and then US factions next.

honestly i'm quite impressed by the game and it's engine ... stable, smooth (60fps on max), very good attention to controls ...

note: this was originally known as World of Planes (but I guess they lost with WarGaming (WoT) fight over the brand name) ... they plan add playable navy/ground later

they plan add playable navy/ground later

That sound very very interesting and would make me tempted to play it

War Thunder is a blast. Great game. The replay system and cameras are a movie makers dream and I hope Arma3 will have something similar. Here is a new Machinima I just made using War Thunder and its movie making tools:

The only thing you can buy are single player campaigns, which you can also play in coop. Only some planes are "premium"planes like in WOT, but they're not better than your average plane. The most important thing in this game is skill and sometimes luck :don2:

I remember when they came out with Wings of Prey. Very good simulator, could have given the IL-2 series a run for it's money if they had been able to support the title better and fix some of the feature's and add in some of the feature's the community was really requesting. I might give this a whirl.

@Dcal That is an exceptional video mate :cool:

That bombing run shot at 1min 36 was perfect, strafing shots too and the run at 5:35 ... realism looking for deff.

I may have to look into this, I had IL2 1945 and wanted something like it with the eyecandy of this, so will give this a go I think.

Only tried the training scenarios but that dive bombing one literally had me in the seat of my pants and gave me real fear of accelerating toward the ocean inverted at a break neck speed. Hitting my target was secondary to the joy of pulling out at like 2 feet of clearance. A rare feeling from a video game :)

I tried this but had a odd experience.

From the get go of running the downloader (and it fully installed and finished but not running) I had so many connections and was watching my peer blocker, so many pings to botnet & P2P networks it was quite an eye opener. Anyway after downloading, I rebooted and every time I connected online my modem activity was full on (as if I was streaming video or music, no browser or any updates running or anything online software apart from O/S established connection). I checked all start up processes, msconfig/services, checked out and my Network usage/traffic/TCPip monitor showed low and nothing synced and just "listening" (standard ISP link) yet my router was blinking like crazy. It was so unlike what I am used too I rootkit virus checked and nothing showed as odd process running even though router was active constantly.

I then removed the game (of which no exe or process was running) and once I did that the router was back to standard again. What was odd to me is that it was linked to installing this and I could make it happen simply by re running it again. Like I say all net traffic was flat lined, no odd dll or processes running or outgoing and yet with this installed (but not executed) my router was blinking constant back and forth.

Anyway, its uninstalled and im happy to see things back to normal, looks like fun but after playing for a short while it didnt do it for me, as for the router activity (while the game was not even active or running but would have router blinking like mad while it resided on my system) I was confused and a little concerned, so its gone for good.

Very odd, indeed, im no fool with processes and keeping system in check but this one had me stumped.

Edited by mrcash2009

If theres a navy... I must be there as well...

*Flies away*

But oh well, kinda copy of Battlegrounds but at least some decent graphics lol

mrcrash it's using normal Bittorrent protocol, you can disable the seeding in detailed setup

mrcrash it's using normal Bittorrent protocol, you can disable the seeding in detailed setup

Yes I realised this especially when Launcher.exe is in full swing. Although I didn't have launcher.exe running (no executed process) nor was the ace.exe (something like that) was running, so no core game and no background process, yet, my router was blinking constant. That was what confused me, the more I looked the more I could not see a process or data transfer showing, yet the router was activating just like a constant send/receive data stream.

I was stumped. I use router and software based firewall, no other game acts in that way unless im actually running an update or actively playing on-line game. Just the steady random data blink/transfer as normal, but not with this.

Anyway, I dont welcome torrenting and not a massive fan of P2P usage (switch-able or not, ven if it was on, what on earth was happening with no processes active??), so that coupled with the feel of the game I removed.

But, it looks lovely though :) I will stick with IL2 1945 offline.

Edited by mrcash2009

Does anybody know how Cliffs of dover performs? Is it still a bugfest?

1.27 update is out (even more nice effects than in videos below) btw. all of them are fan/player made

all thanks to fantastic replay recording, player and movie-alike camera system in the re-player

|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLD35C59813B2B2606&feature=player_embed ded&v=mAkyZ1IFX74

|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gZT1kXlQ4aU

|

Edited by Dwarden

it was recently greenlit

it was recently greenlit

Meaning it will come to Steam soon? The only reason I don't buy War Thunder is because I don't want to install the Yuplay client. It's another reason I haven't yet bought BF3, because I don't want to use or install Origin. I just want one client - Steam.