Sign in to follow this  
2nd ranger

[SP/COOP 03*] For Guglovo

over.jpg

Scenario: For Guglovo

Map: Chernarus

Version: SP version 1.2, MP version 0.8

Author: 2nd Ranger

Required version: Arma 2 Combined Operations (v. 1.61)

Size: 8MB

Description:

My first mission release. This mission is set in 1997, and is my own imagining of events that led to the beginnings of the Chedaki and the first Chernarussian Civil War. Three brothers from a Russian family return to find their village has been sacked by Nationalist thugs (early NAPA), and go looking for revenge. You are civilians, not soldiers, so nobody has alot of ammunition. Even when you pick up some more, it won't be much, so you must conserve. Gameplay could be described as a straightforward revenge mission.

Note:

The mission was designed for co-op (3 players) but has some minor locality issues that I haven't yet solved, hence the separate version numbers. It has been tested on a hosted server and is fully playable except for a few minor hiccups (nothing game-breaking).

Features:

• Fully voice-acted
  • Atmospheric but inobtrusive music
  • Intro cinematic
  • Overview and loading screen
  • Threat Indicator
  • MP Parameters: Show Intro and Show Threat Indicator
  • Random elements, such as enemy numbers, paths, weapons and ammo

Credits:

Mission, voices by me.

Sound effects from various free sound sources.

Music from the Social Network soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

MultiTask by Deadfast.

Bandaging script: CLY_Heal by Celery.

'Typewriter' style intro text by Xeno.

Thanks to the people at Armaholic and Armed Assault Info for hosting (and updating)

Known Issues:

Multiplayer (Hosted server): random weapons at the start may not work

Multiplayer (Hosted server): sometimes Dmitri and Feodor don't join your group, or they join you but won't follow. On one weird occasion, Dmitri went into a sitting down 'in cargo' animation for no apparent reason.

Multiplayer (Dedicated): Some animations don't work during intro.

>DOWNLOAD v1.2 @ ARMAHOLIC<

>DOWNLOAD v1.2 @ ARMED ASSAULT INFO<

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Haven't finished it, on SP but........

Very nice mission. Good story. Well written in the briefing.

Nice Voice acting.

Well done!

I want more of this.

Good ambience, it's me or the enemies accuracy is too low, noone was injured in my team even during close combat.

SP beta 98866.

That is one aspect I would be interested in hearing about, testing-wise. I did spend a fair bit of time tweaking their skill and accuracy. Their accuracy is intentionally lower than normal, because they are just guys with guns, not trained (the CDF militia guys who show up later on have higher skill levels), but it is also random, so people may have different experiences. It is a bit odd that nobody was even injured though; someone usually gets at least wounded in the AI team on most of my playthroughs. In an earlier version I accidentally left the players invincible and I wondered why it seemed too easy :o

If some other people think they're too inaccurate then I'll look into increasing their skill. Also, I did raise your AI team mates' AI quite alot as a last-minute change, so perhaps that might have tipped the odds a bit.

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys.

^^^

My guys were always getting injured, including myself, but that may be because I'm not a good player anyways, so yeah, skill level seems just about right.

Vengeance was a pain in the ass. Those guys were good.

This sounds good, I'll give the mission a try. Was it tested on a dedicated server?

No, just hosted, but I would like to hear how it played on a dedicated. I don't think there should be many problems.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Excellent mission, the accuracy and skill seemed fair as I was often having suppression rain down on my squad yet noone died :D (Just a few injuries for myself and AI)

The music really made the atmosphere and made me sad for the unnarmed people that I had gunned down. Also very good voice acting that was used just enough.

I look forward to more!

No, just hosted, but I would like to hear how it played on a dedicated. I don't think there should be many problems.

Ok, I'll let you know once we try it on a the Comrades in Arms coop server.

This mission was so fun, thank you, well written briefing, nice gameplay, great voice acting. Didn't finish it yet, (died just after CDF militia arrived) gonna try it again. :)

Are you thinking of a sequel? :D

Well I originally conceived of the story as a mini-campaign, and I would certainly like to continue it, but I'm not going to promise anything. I work kind of slow. I usually get side-tracked adding a bunch of cosmetic things that the mission could survive without but which I still feel add to the overall experience.

Anyway, glad to see people have enjoyed it so far! That makes it worth the time.

I've just started a SP playthrough, and had some trouble at the first village. After being injured, all keyboard input was disabled and I had to shut Arma down using the task manager. I do not know if this is the fault of the first aid module or mission scripting (but i've not had the same problem ever before). Will retry...

Edit: It's happened again, this time the screen went completely black too. Is this a deliberate "permadeath" feature??

Edited by ceeeb

No, it's not deliberate. I've had that happen before in other missions but I don't know what causes it. I'll look into it.

After a brief test, I can recreate it when I have been shot again while already in the unconscious state. Still looking for cause.

EDIT: Fixed. Temporary link to fixed version.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Really great, atmospheric mission. The voice acting was excellent. Definitely looking forward to a sequel!

It doesn't seem to work properly. I get the first two tasks (investigate and kill bandits), but after killing that half a dozen or so in guglovo, nothing happens anymore, no new task, no mission end, no nothing. Probably some scripts are stuck, since I saw in the editor that you put more stuff in other places around, but storywise I have no incentive to move anywhere (logically one would douse the fire, care for the mourning woman and bury the dead or something like that, but not drive around Chernarus like a headless chicken looking for an opportunity to get shot). Only in one of the dozen or so playthroughs I tried, the screen went kind of reddish for a few seconds and some guy stepped out of a house and said "don't shoot guys", but nothing else happened afterwards.

Played the 1.1 as SP with OA+DLCs and latest beta, so no addons interfering here.

Also FYI in case I'm supposed to drive anywhere: there are not in every playthrough cars with at least 3 seats, sometimes only pickups.

^^^ There's a truck at the church. Did you try that one out? The one with the lights on.

Only in one of the dozen or so playthroughs I tried, the screen went kind of reddish for a few seconds and some guy stepped out of a house and said "don't shoot guys", but nothing else happened afterwards.

Well after you clear the town, you should get a waypoint to the burning house, then the guy should come out and direct you to a new objective. You're saying he came out once but only said "Dont' shoot" and nothing else? Do you have waypoints disabled?

Also FYI in case I'm supposed to drive anywhere: there are not in every playthrough cars with at least 3 seats, sometimes only pickups.

Oh, I meant to change that. Originally I had a 4-seater car appear randomly but then realised it was annoying if you had to make one or both of your AI guys follow you in another vehicle. Something for the next update.

^^^ There's a truck at the church. Did you try that one out? The one with the lights on.

Is this truck soupposed to be drivable? I couldn't enter it nor check for cargo. I thought its only purpose was to illuminate the scene. But I found a UAZ which provided enough space for the whole group.

Anyway, it is a very athmospheric mission and it is fun to play it. Thank you, 2ndRanger!

Really good mission from what I've played so far.

I was at

the Revenge part

(having the bug where you die and cannot exit out properly) when I noticed the update. The 'Exit bug' is fixed but now Lev only says "Don't shoot!" and stays in his doorway. There was a dead enemy soldier just beside his steps, I don't know if that was the issue. Either way, I couldn't progress because I couldn't interact with Lev.

Anyway, from what I've played this is a really engaging mission. Thanks a lot! :bounce3:

Dang. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the reports.

EDIT: Fixed. I had removed a line of code I thought was a remnant of testing but was actually important to Lev's scripting :o

That will teach me to make a change without playing the mission all the way through afterward.

Version 1.2.

Apologies to anyone who downloaded the broken 1.1 version.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Do you have waypoints disabled?
I'm usually playing on veteran, exactly to cut away most of this unrealistic "HUD" stuff and force me to navigate by compass. Might be that I missed it. But it's probably not uncommon that people play that way, so you should put any hints that are meant to lead the player somewhere into either a new task or a hint box or a dialog, not only something that might be disabled.

But I replayed it now in Recruit setting, I now noticed the "Mama?Papa?" marker, but it didn't go away respectively changed to a different one when Lev stepped out. The story just ends there.

Yeah I did worry that people might have HUD info turned off. I'll consider an alternative to the waypoint. And the Lev thing is fixed now.

yes indeed, it plays through nicely now. Awesome mission. The low ammo is an interesting element, IMHO more missions should have that. The ACE feature of being able to combine half empty mags comes really handy here, the mission turns out to be ACE compatible.

BTW, I've (repeatedly) managed that none of the unarmed guys at the church was executed :)

Edited by Brainbug

Played through this one last night, probably the first time I've taken a break from my own project in over a month. Really enjoyed this one, the story really got my imagination going is strong because you are meeting the player half-way, letting them fill in the rest of the details. The voice acting is minimal but very solid, and the mission design felt very much like one of those from the vanilla campaign.

Would really like to see this project turn into a campaign of some sort, by the time it was over I was hungry for more action, and more importantly, I was interested in where the story would go. Good work!

This is my kind of mission, and the acting is just a plus. I absolutely loved the beginning cutscene.

However, every time I get shot and die, the game doesn't realize what has happened. I can't load or quit, just lie on my back and stare up at the blue sky until I shut down the game with the task manager. Does this happento anyone else?