Sign in to follow this  
coilwinder

Can't push a Walrus stranded in water with another Walrus

I ran out of fuel with a Walrus, and discovered I couldn't really push it around while it was in water. Kinda unintuitive.

I also run out of fuel on land, and while it was not easy, it kinda worked pushing it around, except not directly, more like getting stuck under it and also pushing it in a sideways way.

But at least I think it should be possible in water, and not have it stall like as on solid ground.

Well it's a lesson in not letting your units run out of fuel. If you are able to manually steer the carrier yet, you may be able to get into a position where the walrus can be docked, but you may end up running into the walrus and destroying it. Later in the game you will be able to make hooks for your mantas to airlift the walruses back and forward. If you really can't afford to lose the walrus, you will just need to load your last save game.

Early in the game, I ran out of fuel with a walrus like ten feet from the carrier with no ability to retrieve it. I haven't played since.

Well it's a lesson in not letting your units run out of fuel

Hehe, yes. Both times was kind of the "same time" (reloaded and did something different, still went out of fuel, in water). I must have overlooked the Walrus fuel level when undocking them earlier.

However, it did move slowly towards the Carrier by it self (which is another thing that don't feel right, really), so I was able to retrieve it after a long-ish wait. I'm aware of the Manta hook thing, except I don't have one of those yet.

My main point was that it seems silly that the stranded Walrus simply is stuck in the water, same as on ground, un-pushable.

@Max Power:

If you were 10 feet away, waiting a minute or two would have solved it.

Hi,

i agree it is a little weird that walrus just won't move in water when you push him.

The only thing I can say is be careful about amount of fuel :-)

Or you can try take your walrus with hook and bring near to carrier.

@Max Power:

If you were 10 feet away, waiting a minute or two would have solved it.

It's like ten feet away from the carrier, not from the carrier doors... and I spent half an hour trying to push it with another walrus.

Hi,

i agree it is a little weird that walrus just won't move in water when you push him.

The only thing I can say is be careful about amount of fuel :-)

Or you can try take your walrus with hook and bring near to carrier.

The problem in my case is that it's early in the story campaign and I don't have control over the carrier or a hook... at least I don't think so. I tried...

I put this in suggestions already, but units need tiny solar panels for very small power generation in emergency. Just enough to get back to dock or whatever. Until then, try and keep a manta hook in reserve at all times.

It's like ten feet away from the carrier, not from the carrier doors... and I spent half an hour trying to push it with another walrus.

The problem in my case is that it's early in the story campaign and I don't have control over the carrier or a hook... at least I don't think so. I tried...

Still, it will move slowly towards it. At least it did with me. And I don't have any Walrus hook yet either.

I got stranded just on the wrong side of a refueling station, so I managed pushed it around eventually! Had to repair the pushing Walrus in the meantime too. Still, I tried something different after a reload, and it seemed just impossible to push it in water, kind of opposite :P But it did move slowly towards its goal (docking, in this case).

I ran out of fuel with a Walrus, and discovered I couldn't really push it around while it was in water. Kinda unintuitive.

I also run out of fuel on land, and while it was not easy, it kinda worked pushing it around, except not directly, more like getting stuck under it and also pushing it in a sideways way.

But at least I think it should be possible in water, and not have it stall like as on solid ground.

Strange, I have no problem pushing a walrus in the water, what I do first is to very carefully move the carrier as close as possible to the stranded walrus until its docking bay door opens, then I use another walrus to gently nudge it by pushing against each end from the side of it until it is almost on the bay door, then I switch to it and then press the USE key, then the carrier will take it in and refuel it, no problem as long as the water is deep enough.

be good if you could arm another walrus with a fuel cell that can be passed over the the empty walrus, also would be good for mantas, lost a few of them to fuel (not my fault when i order them back and they get 'lost')

Simple Solution for that Problem.

Grab a Mantawith a hook - hook the Walrus up

Transport the walrus into deep Water some 100m away from his stern and drop him into the water.

Dock the manta and move your carrier very slow to the walrus that the walrus passes your carrier hull slowly within guess 10 m distance to his docking port.

usinge the 3rd person view helps alot !

Change to the walrus and press f as soon the dockingsysmbol shows up

Walrus will be docked even without fuel.

Like he said, he didn't have the hook yet. With the hook, there's no need to even move the carrier, just place the walrus right up against its own numbered bay and it can be docked instantly.

Alright I admit it, I was in a same embaressing situation, too. In fact pushing in the water wasn't really possible. But in a far sense of the word "push" I managed to dock the empty walrus. I just rammed the walrus with an other in the direction of the carrier, of course the empty and "pushing" walrus took a little damage. But it worked. After a little while. I have sworn to myself that I never let the walrus get out of fuel again. ;-)