Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

Every building have a "step up" into it..?

Hi,

I'm modelling a little sentry post, and I checked the one in ARMA2 already for ref, and noticed that the base of the doorway is about 25 cms off the ground.

I then checked a lot of other buildings and this seems to be the norm.

Could someone confirm if this is the case, and if so, what's the recommend height for this little step up, and also, how do you do the geolod for the little step please..? Does it depend on if there's an actual concrete step there, or if it's "invisible" so to speak..?

Also, does anyone have the best dimensions for stairs inside/outside buildings please? Like each step height and depth back?

Thanks guys,

Marc

the step is for uneven terrain so you can place on hills the oa houses can have a good few meters below the floor of the house i do mine at 3-4 meters

check the arma sample models loads of steps stairs to look at to get the dimensions from.

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

so say if you give the bottom of the house an extra 3 meters, can you place it by sort of "shoving" it through the terrain itself to the desired depth yes..? If so, how do you know the stairs are flush with the ground at a correct height for units to walk up and into the house with?

I mean, if you place it and only half a step goes into the ground, will that break the unit's usability of the house..? It won't be able to get in..?

yes in visitor you do this and you postion it as you see it in a 3d viewer bulldozer this can be done in the editor to as a set pos.

the step if its below ground and rising up will be fine you make a road way on stairs to walk up.

...so really, if theres an actual concrete step modelled to go up into the front door, but I've added say three meters of extra length at the bottom, i should really also model in an extra three meters worth of steps?

Do you get me smoke? And cheers for your help on this man! :)

I'd imagine you would place the house (or other objects) on the ground in visitor as close to the desired height was possible without having some lump in the ground come through the floor.

I guess as in practice, you would place each house with a generous amount of clearance so each house does not required obsessive amounts of tweaking, and then deal with bug reports as they come in (or as you find flaws) if you don't want to check every inch of the floor in every structure.

Good advice cheers chaps.

So, Ill be building all my structures with about 2-3 meters clearance area at the bottom incase I end up placing them on hills etc...

Ahhh right, gotcha man. So its ok to have all that, even if you place the building so you can only see say two steps yeah..?