Sign in to follow this  
Jan_F_W

Exporting map overview to a vector graphic?

Hi,

I am currently in touch with the author of the Namalsk map; we want to create an overview app for this map.

Therefore I would require vectorized data of the map overview.

Is there any way to export the map overview to a vector graphic? I read that there is a tool "Visitor 4" which may come in handy - could anyone comment on the process of converting a map to vector? Is it possible at all?

Cheers,

Jan

Don't know what vector graphic is sorry , unless you mean the Height data in a Graphical form ? , that would be easy if author has the Pew file .

You can get a topography by entering the game going into map screen and type Lest shit and hold the - key on the Number pad and type the word TOPOGRAHY , this will output a windows format file to your C: Drive direct ( or whatever Drive letter your using.

The mad way to get Height data is by creating a Logic and setting it to the surface height at selected intervals and Diag_log the resulting Height to the Arma.rpt if formatted right you will get a nice .XYZ file when pasted into a file of that extension., to do this you will need Cell Size info ( some map makers do put gridsize = _x in ther config)

Don't know what vector graphic is sorry , unless you mean the Height data in a Graphical form ? , that would be easy if author has the Pew file .

You can get a topography by entering the game going into map screen and type Lest shit and hold the - key on the Number pad and type the word TOPOGRAHY , this will output a windows format file to your C: Drive direct ( or whatever Drive letter your using.

The mad way to get Height data is by creating a Logic and setting it to the surface height at selected intervals and Diag_log the resulting Height to the Arma.rpt if formatted right you will get a nice .XYZ file when pasted into a file of that extension., to do this you will need Cell Size info ( some map makers do put gridsize = _x in ther config)

Ah, ok, sorry for expressing myself inappropriately; with vector graphics I ment files like *.ai (Adobe Illustrator), *.eps, *.svg to name some common ones. EMF (similar to SVG) sounds good, this is something I am looking for; we will surely give it a go and I will report back. Other than that are there more ways to export such a file? Are there any example EMFs available? I could then check if this is what we are looking for.

Also, thanks for your reply - much appreciated!

Edited by Jan_F_W

No Thromp, he means .svg. Vector Graphics Image. Nothing to do with topography or height data. Just a simple well known image format.

Vector images don't have the typical artifacts that normal jpeg/png images do when zoomed in to extreme levels, making it great for things like maps, UI, web graphics, etc.

I've also wondered this myself. Hope to see an answer.

EMF (similar to SVG) sounds good, this is something I am looking for

by the way, I just searched for the TOPOGRAPHY export command and found information that it generates a map in EMF format, so thats why I listed it here

i don't know any good free tools to do this job, except one (don't remember the name) that works exclusively on the osx and with b&w images (most work best with b&w, high contrast image files), and potrace.sourceforge.net, but there are certain limitations.

there is also the free vector software inkscape but i have no experience with it

other $ options:

. adobe ilustrator (livetrace)

. corel x3-6 (powertrace)

. autocad civil (irc)

. vector magic( i heard it is good)

. some others web based solutions

you will need a high resolution image file of the entire map though, and a lot of trial and error to get the settings right

best of luck

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

oh, you could have gotten the answer you wanted by searching raster to vector on your trusty google

Ok, thanks!

I already tried Inkscape with a high-res img of the map but Inkscape was unfortunately unable to open images of this size (28000 x 28000px!) but I will try to reduce resolution and see when the app gets to open the map bitmap.

The EMF export is unfortunately bitmap data, too, so it is not of any use.

The Export from VISITOR does also only export single EMF bitmap files so unfortunately also no success here.