Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

ELITE remake on Kickstarter UK (David Braben)

woohoo for $40 get your name in game :)

woohoo for $40 get your name in game :)

Yeah but only 3,000 to get a star named after you. Who needs a house and car if you're immortalized in the stars!

I will be pledging for ELITE as well. I remember playing ELITE on the C64 with my dad and brother. It is one of the best space sims ever made and really was the inspiration for later sims like Wing Commander. How cool is it that two of the biggest Legends from the golden era of PC gaming are back with titles in the works. Chris Roberts with Star Citizen and now David Braben with Elite: Dangerous. This would not have happened if it was not for Crowd Funding because the publishers declared space sims dead and would not fund them....just take a look at these two Kickstarters and its evident the pulishers dont have a clue what people really want.

I hope he shows more instead of "I used to make great games".He should take some lessons from Star Citizen and actually show something if people want to pledge even more although I don't doubt he will reach that cash.To be honest along the years I heard he was working on a new Elite,but work was going slow only to find out he just actually put a few people to start some concepts.That's not very reassuring.

The page has been updated with more info and artist impression images.

I'm sure with today's hardware they can make it absolutely EPIC

Wing Commander didnt have the depth of Elite for me.

The first pre-alpha gameplay footage of Elite Dangerous has been released and it looks excellent. They are flying through the rings of a Saturn like planet. Very cool:

I have been using an emulator and playing Elite the last couple of evenings :) With full keyboard layout print.

No matter what you prefer this and Star Citizen will be a massive boost to this genre for PC, more options the better. Strangely it didn't even bother me about the HUD missing.

Another Dev Diary released. This answers some questions about dynamic universe interaction.

Elite 1 was the first game I was ever truly obsessed with as a kid. Will definately be pledging, but how much depends on how well I bounce back from the Star Citizen pledging in coming weeks.

Frontier has released an official teaser trailer for Elite Dangerous. All but the first scene are in game footage. Pledges are picking up but the still need help.

finally some more ingame footage :)

Not many days left and they still lack quite some money. Even though this doesn't look bad, I still think it was pretty stupid to come up with this after the bombastic revelation of Star Citizen...

There's still a lot of money to be made, but in my experience, 12 days can change a lot, especially if the famous "final day surge" occurs.

Guess they made the funds. Which is nice. I'll definitely buy it, but I'm also a bit skeptical due to "having" to support MP, at the cost of not including what I think are some of the more crucial features to have in this game (from the start).

it's good the more space games the better :)

it's good the more space games the better :)

^this!

I really miss those games...

Goodbye social life hello Star Citizen,X-Rebirth and Elite.Man these won't be games where you just play 1-2 hours every few days.:biggrin:

I'll see you guys at space games anonymous.

Bumped this older thread specifically becuase of all the rather impressive alpha footage flying around at the moment (pun intended).

This is the main forum link, with all links to alpha players with YT channels and twitch streams: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9172

Thought to bump to break away from embedded vid & chat from space games thread.

Also someone posted system requirement alpha findings here: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9834

Laptop - Dell XPS L501x (Dual core 2.4ghz, 4gb Ram, Nvidia GT420M 1GB)

To my amazement, this setup works to a satisfactory standard - running between 20-30 fps with high detail, I am thrilled my gaming laptop will not be left on the shelf, the Alpha is definitely playable & enjoyable with this level of hardware.

Perhaps when the more complex scenarios come to the Alpha it will change the experience, but for now I am very pleased.

Custom Built PC (Athlon 4.1ghz Quad, 4gb DDR3, AMD 6770 XT 1GB)

This is my primary gaming PC, and is slowly upgraded over the years, hence it's reasonable but medium-spec components.

Elite Dangerous runs easily on this hardware, apparently running along at very comfortable frame rates - I'm guessing around 40/50+ on high detail, at 1280x1024.

I'm really impressed at Frontier's progress so far, the game engine looks and feels very polished, and the subtle effects & cockpit HUD look stunning.

Edited by mrcash2009

Not buying until it's actually finished and released, haven't forgiven him yet for The Outsider.

Not buying until it's actually finished and released

That could fit to so many games and startups :)