Sign in to follow this  
samatra

ARMA2.RU -Wasteland Sandbox- servers thread

TheFairy, our version of Wasteland definitely going to be released for public use, not now though since we are in development stage and our version still has small bits of Tonic's code. Another reason for keeping it closed for now is control over gameplay balance, if you look at 404 versions hosted around the arma they mostly have tanks spawning around each corner, choppers, planes available right away fully fueled, crates with 100s of top tier weapons, players spawning with fuel cans right away and other BS and lack of any sense.

JoneKone, yes, changes in + versions will appear in v14 changelist

Modomancs, teamswitch restriction will be removed with server restart. Don't teamkill though we monitor teamkills with our software and people who teamkill regularly get banned.

Duhoy, I wonder where did you get this table? It was posted on arma2.ru forums only, barely viewed by anyone? This table is somewhat outdated and classes list is subject to change.

Good good, totally see your point of view, so await with abated breath for its release!!! In the mean time do you have a description of how the grouping mechanism works in game. We are finding difficulty receiving invites etc, i suspect its to do with the role and its location in the list that we choose, but not sure?

You need to manually update the list if you have group menu open and somebody sends you an invite in meanwhile. Also players list doesn't show dead players, will try to address this problem sometime.

Hi SaMatra i was just wondering what are your views regarding the 404 community's development in the wastelands series on Arma 2?

Hi SaMatra i was just wondering what are your views regarding the 404 community's development in the wastelands series on Arma 2?

My views and the situation is stated here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?142427-ARMA2-RU-Wasteland-Sandbox-servers-thread&p=2259932&viewfull=1#post2259932 I still did not see any credit from them for my work which they distributed even though they were directly told not to, plus they claim the code being their own. They claim that they took "small portions of code" while in fact they copied EVERYTHING that was on client-side, I still have their previous versions which are 1:1 exact file by file copy of my mission. It doesn't matter if they changed something by now, I've already seen their "rewrite" which consisted of changing variable name, they were directly told not to use my code but they started to distribute it without single mention of original code author and even with direct denials of me being the author. They showed themselves as completely incompetent, disrespectful people and I'm not looking for any interaction with them, they were given a chance to fix everything and quote me as author, they refused.

------

#8, #9 now have auto restart timers

http://wasteland.arma.su/

Edited by SaMatra

My views and the situation is state here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?142427-ARMA2-RU-Wasteland-Sandbox-servers-thread&p=2259932&viewfull=1#post2259932 I still did not see any credit from them for my work which they distributed even though they were directly told not to, plus claim the code being their own.

------

#8, #9 now have auto restart timers

http://wasteland.arma.su/

Ok. I thought the original work was done by TAW Tonic. Haven't you considered that they took TAW Tonics version and not yours.

Edited by Kryklin

Ok. I thought the original work was done by TAW Tonic. Haven't you considered that they took that they took TAW Tonics version and not yours.

I've updated my message a little bit, I have their earlier versions which are direct 1:1 copy of my mission, as story goes they even didn't bother to remove admin panel access for our team, this tells that they even didn't check what they copied, script clearly listed our names and UIDs. Basically they combined my version which only has minor pieces of Tonic's code left with Marker's server-side, stamped 404games on it and started to distribute it to anyone.

Yeah i saw the update thanks. Just a few more questions. Have you ever considered working with 404games and Tonic to create the most ultimate version of Wastelands. Or do you think going your separate ways would be a better idea.

Yeah i saw the update thanks. Just a few more questions. Have you ever considered working with 404games and Tonic to create the most ultimate version of Wastelands. Or do you think going your separate ways would be a better idea.

I didn't see much progress from Tonic and we probably have different visions of Wasteland (it supposed to be continuation of EW campaign apparently). I guess its obvious that I'm not going to have anything with 404games after what they did and how much problems they have caused for me and our team. Speaking of Wasteland I have a clear vision of what it is going to be and I'm working towards it at least for sole reason of me enjoying game development and design process. If you are curious 404games didn't bring a single gameplay mechanic into the game apart from placing ready 100% fueled choppers on airfield, spawning tanks on each corner and crates with crapton of weapons which is barely any achievement but lack of sense of any balance. Many of latest additions into the game came from our version: icons over players, respawn in towns, defense radars, gunstores informing of enemies\friendlies inside, etc, etc. Respawn beacons is Tonic's gameplay mechanic btw.

Ah. I have been playing on 404games wastelands and it looks like there version has a lot of cool stuff in it. Some of them you have mentioned. Some of them you haven't. I genuinely believe that adding static helicopters that are fully fueled and repaired is not as a bad of an idea as you make it out to be but i see your point. I believe that adding helicopters makes a very competitive game to start with as many of the players wish to rush there way to the helicopters in an attempt to grab a few. This can make some pretty awesome firefirghts and battles. Even if the team does succeed in capturing the helicopters they are only heuys and therefore easily shot down with a couple of bullets of a m2 mounted machine gun or armored SUV. Its great fun at the start of the game! Anyways some of the other features they added such as health monitors and balancing gun crates, also removing alot of TWS weapons making them a rare occurrence. I had no idea that you were the one that made radars and Tonic make spawn beacons. Nice work. Anyways last question do you consider the whole of the 404games community to be a bunch of liers trolls and genuine A**holes or just the guys that make there version of the game at 404?

Start of the game always has military vehicles spawning on airfield which players always try to rush and grab the best stuff (which is protected by AI on our servers), barracks on NWAF in particular often spawn weapon crates with higher chance than any other building and very worth to be checked out. Helicopters should be valuable team resource and should not be available right away from my point of view. Speaking of no TWS, we have no TWS infantry weapons at all for sake of infantry-oriented gameplay. TWS hummers are subject to change. Of course I have nothing against their community members.

Start of the game always has military vehicles spawning on airfield which players always try to rush and grab the best stuff (which is protected by AI on our servers), barracks on NWAF in particular often spawn weapon crates with higher chance than any other building and very worth to be checked out. Helicopters should be valuable team resource and should not be available right away from my point of view. Speaking of no TWS, we have no TWS infantry weapons at all for sake of infantry-oriented gameplay. TWS hummers are subject to change. Of course I have nothing against their community members.

Ok thanks. Have a good Christmas.

Hey Sa-Matra, I'm a big fan of your work.

I just have a few questions/suggestions:

* Are there any plans to make a proper site or thread, in english, where people can follow the progress of the mission? (changelogs etc.)

I'm fairly sure there are more non-russians playing this mission nowdays. ;)

* Are Independent players ever gonna get access to Radars? I don't enjoy playing opfor/blufor sine you are forced to play with a bunch of morons, but they have a huge advantage with the radars. Because of this, me and my friends have started building bases on gun shops just to get enemy warnings. But that also means the enemy knows where we are at all times. :/

* Engineer/medic slots should be increased or removed entirely. (personally I'd prefer the latter) Right now it just comes down to whoever gets in first gets the good roles and have big advantages all game. I know there are Med Kits and Repair Kits but most of the time you don't have access to them for various reasons.

* I doubt this will ever happen, but I'd like to see the teams removed entirely and just have ONE free-for-all team. You have a great group function anyways so if people want to play together then they can just use that. Alternatively make a separate "FFA"-version of the mission.

* Disable the Respawn function. Vehicles are incredibly easy to find in Wasteland so getting around isn't that hard. Let people deal with what they are dealt instead of spamming respawn for a good location. If you need to get back quickly to a base defense or whatever, then tough luck, maybe you'll be a bit more careful next time! ;)

* Disable Global VON. I realize this is not actually done through the mission but afaik you control the servers too? This is an issue in all of ARMA 2. People just don't have the decency to shut the hell up in Global. It's annoying having to mute people everytime you join a server. The same goes for Side Chat as Independent. But something tells me that would be a bit harder to achieve.

* Your vehicle-cleanup function is broken as hell.. I've lost so much items and got killed countless times by exploading vehicles being randomly cleaned up. Just the other day we had a few urals parked inside a farm we were building next to. They got cleaned up and blew up half our base, including our precious Humvee and Jackal, it also did a good job killing a bunch of our men.

* What's up with random deaths? I'm pretty sure I've suffered more deaths to nothingness then actual players. Just falling to my death completely at random.. You know anything about this?

* Vehicles breaking too easy/blowing up without warning, with you inside it. I don't know if this is anything you can do something about or if it's just ARMA being ARMA, but it's annoying AS HELL.. :)

That's all for now.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Ehlak

Thanks for your feedback, here are the answers:

* Are there any plans to make a proper site or thread, in english, where people can follow the progress of the mission? (changelogs etc.)

I'm fairly sure there are more non-russians playing this mission nowdays. ;)

There are plans, yes. As well as dedicated forum.

* Are Independent players ever gonna get access to Radars? I don't enjoy playing opfor/blufor sine you are forced to play with a bunch of morons, but they have a huge advantage with the radars. Because of this, me and my friends have started building bases on gun shops just to get enemy warnings. But that also means the enemy knows where we are at all times. :/

Not sure, its pretty difficult to define who really owns the radar especially since players might change groups, leave the game, what should happen with radar?

* Engineer/medic slots should be increased or removed entirely. (personally I'd prefer the latter) Right now it just comes down to whoever gets in first gets the good roles and have big advantages all game. I know there are Med Kits and Repair Kits but most of the time you don't have access to them for various reasons.

Engie\medics slots are subject to change

* I doubt this will ever happen, but I'd like to see the teams removed entirely and just have ONE free-for-all team. You have a great group function anyways so if people want to play together then they can just use that. Alternatively make a separate "FFA"-version of the mission.

Thought about this but I think that having pre-defined teams works

* Disable the Respawn function. Vehicles are incredibly easy to find in Wasteland so getting around isn't that hard. Let people deal with what they are dealt instead of spamming respawn for a good location. If you need to get back quickly to a base defense or whatever, then tough luck, maybe you'll be a bit more careful next time! ;)

Likely impossible without mods plus I don't really see a reason to. People will always find a way to get closer to desired point

* Disable Global VON. I realize this is not actually done through the mission but afaik you control the servers too? This is an issue in all of ARMA 2. People just don't have the decency to shut the hell up in Global. It's annoying having to mute people everytime you join a server. The same goes for Side Chat as Independent. But something tells me that would be a bit harder to achieve.

Impossible with current arma. There is a ticket on dev-heaven that supposed to address this problem: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/67328

* Your vehicle-cleanup function is broken as hell.. I've lost so much items and got killed countless times by exploading vehicles being randomly cleaned up. Just the other day we had a few urals parked inside a farm we were building next to. They got cleaned up and blew up half our base, including our precious Humvee and Jackal, it also did a good job killing a bunch of our men.

Doesn't sound like true. First of all vehicles like hummers, SUVs, jackals are never cleaned up by definition plus there are checks for players being within 100 meters proximity to vehicle and of course vehicle should have no players inside or no objects inside at all. Loot inside is checked also, vehicles that have few guns and few mags inside never get cleaned up

* What's up with random deaths? I'm pretty sure I've suffered more deaths to nothingness then actual players. Just falling to my death completely at random.. You know anything about this?

There is an engine bug when blown up buildings keep blowing up producing damage to everything outside. We are still unable to reproduce it in closed environment to report it but the problem is present. Just try to stay away from blown up buildings

* Vehicles breaking too easy/blowing up without warning, with you inside it. I don't know if this is anything you can do something about or if it's just ARMA being ARMA, but it's annoying AS HELL.. :)

Sounds like ArmA to me.

Thanks for quick response. Makes sense for most part. :) Just a few things:

Doesn't sound like true. First of all vehicles like hummers, SUVs, jackals are never cleaned up by definition plus there are checks for players being within 100 meters proximity to vehicle and of course vehicle should have no players inside or no objects inside at all. Loot inside is checked also, vehicles that have few guns and few mags inside never get cleaned up

The hummer and jackal didn't actually blow up themselves. They were hit by the blast from the trucks.

Me and my friends often have urals and v3s trucks parked inside our bases and we pretty much never leave the base empty, so we're always within 100m, we also never leave trucks empty because we thought that would keep them from get cleaned up. But trucks still randomly blow up.

There is an engine bug when blown up buildings keep blowing up producing damage to everything outside. We are still unable to reproduce it in closed environment to report it but the problem is present. Just try to stay away from blown up buildings

We discussed this actually and came to the same conclusion, but wern't entirely sure. Thanks for confirming it. :)

Edited by Ehlak

Loving the work Sa-Matra

Would love to see Base Persistence!

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

Also on the website note is there an ETA? I'd love to offer a helping hand in creating and maintaining one?

Damned wetpussy on #5 eu server just friendly killed ppl.. with a pipe bomb. Can you put the TS server info somewhere else than side/global chat.. Like in here first page and ws.arma.su site...

Loving the work Sa-Matra

Would love to see Base Persistence!

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

Also on the website note is there an ETA? I'd love to offer a helping hand in creating and maintaining one?

No ETA but we are looking to establish it as soon as possible

Damned wetpussy on #5 eu server just friendly killed ppl.. with a pipe bomb. Can you put the TS server info somewhere else than side/global chat.. Like in here first page and ws.arma.su site...

Thanks for report, found it in logs, banned.

Edited by SaMatra

Nice servers! I play on them all the time! The only problem I have is the gear not saving when you abort?

I mean really? I know it's easy to get gear, but sometimes you maybe save money or work hard to find something, and even if you disconnect for a second, you lose everything?

It would be cool if your gear saves until the server restarts!

I do not know where can I report players like that, so I will do it here. On #4 server (hardcore) player Matan intentionally killed three friendly players and immediately after that he disconnected. That happened today around 9 or 10PM. I hope that prove can be found in server log and he will be punished.

I do not know where can I report players like that, so I will do it here. On #4 server (hardcore) player Matan intentionally killed three friendly players and immediately after that he disconnected. That happened today around 9 or 10PM. I hope that prove can be found in server log and he will be punished.

Found it in logs. He's banned now.

Sa-Matra, something really needs to be done about team-killing. Sometimes I want to log in and have fun with a preset team like Blufor and Opfor but then there are always jackasses who think they're funny and start teamkilling. A few times me and my friends have been shot at by assholes and then we're forced to return fire and then get separated between Independent and Blufor for example.

I think the only possible solution is to turn off friendly fire. Sure you could ban people but then once we start banning everyone that TK's we also get innocent people who have bad aim and people who are forced to fire back into the mix.

I see your point. I don't really want to turn team damage off. Better report into TS about teamkillers, I permaban several teamkillers each day.