Sign in to follow this  
ExtinctSquirrel

Learning to master the UH-1H

Missile

I'll join in as well mate, and pass tips on...

Feel free to use my ts3 server, you know the ip..

Fixed wing aircraft:

If we keep the discussion to turn left then there are 3 keys that can be bound:

Left Turn

Bank Left

Left Pedal (which controls the rudder)

Originally I had all 3 bound to the joystick. I have now changed the binding.

Left Turn and Bank Left are bound to the joystick

My joystick has one sliding type button so this is now bound to Left Pedal. This allows me to move the rudder only a little or a lot as I see fit. It means I can make minor corrections in direction.

The continuing problem I cannot resolve is that I over-steer and then I over correct.

In the options screen Smoothing is “OFFâ€

When I control a soldier I can have him change direction left with precision.

When driving a vehicle I will over-steer and then over correct

When flying an aircraft I will over-steer and then over correct. How to fix this?

Turn left and turn right are to order the plane to make a coordinated turn. It's mostly for keyboard and mouse players.

I have a joystick and every aircraft is difficult to fly.

I think, the Arma flight (also take off and landing) controls are extremely easy and very arcadish, even helicopters. Especially in comparison to Take on Helicopters with maxed out realism options...

The easiest way is indeed to put an empty (and unlocked) helicopter of your choice on the map in the editor and a player-infantry-unit next to it, and play around with the control setup in editor-preview-mode.

Edited by RogueTrooper

Compared to a realistic helicopter sim (or even a reasonable approximation thereof, like ToH), yeah, Arma helicopters are very simple. However, on the other hand, compared to helicopters in popular low-realism shooters such as Call of Battlefield, our Arma 2 helicopters can be quite tricky, for those who have not had any experience in either BIS games or realistic flight simulators. I've shown the ropes to several people who've never had any experience with virtual flying before, and they almost invariably end up crashing horribly about a dozen seconds after leaving the ground.

As for Extinctsquirrel, I had the opportunity the other day to do some practice with him, and I discovered to my surprise that he'd already taught himself almost everything, in the few days between when he made this thread and when we got together. I'm not sure I actually managed to impart anything to him at all, because there wasn't much to tell him about the Arma helis that he didn't already know. Autorotation being the possible exception. Although everyone can use more practice, he's good enough to assist others here, so anyone else needing help might want to ask him and see if he's willing.

As for Extinctsquirrel, I had the opportunity the other day to do some practice with him, and I discovered to my surprise that he'd already taught himself almost everything, in the few days between when he made this thread and when we got together. I'm not sure I actually managed to impart anything to him at all, because there wasn't much to tell him about the Arma helis that he didn't already know. Autorotation being the possible exception. Although everyone can use more practice, he's good enough to assist others here, so anyone else needing help might want to ask him and see if he's willing.

My thanks Echo,

It was about 4-5 days between me making this post and meeting up with you..

I spent about 4h a day from making this post till meeting you so I had some hours of practise in it..

The only thing I'd really like to master is;

- Fast Stop

- Landing within 5 seconds.

- Hover w/o autohover

Still working on those.

P.S. I booted up Battlefield Bad Company 2 (vietnam) for some fun yesterday, I got into the helicopter which I could never fly when I played that game..

Now that I'm used to the quite tricky helicopter controls of Arma, that thing flew like it was a pingpongball.. It was so easy..

Regards;

ExtinctSquirrel

I spent about 4h a day from making this post till meeting you so I had some hours of practise in it.

This sort of determination is great for learning how to play BIS games. It's also just about a requisite for learning how to fly real helicopters as well, should you ever decide to try your hand at that (or, at least, a more complex sim-game like ToH).

The only thing I'd really like to master is;

- Fast Stop

- Landing within 5 seconds.

- Hover w/o autohover

Maybe I can help with some of this.

Stopping is easy. Stopping without flaring massively, not as much. The most effective way that I've found to slow down fast, without any previous preparation, is to do an extremely hard bank to one side or the other. You'll need a lot of space to do it, but not that much altitude. If you don't want to do that, remember that you won't ascend nearly as much if you're already descending before you start your flare.

#2, can't really help you with it, as I can't yet do that reliably myself.

The key for #3 is to make sure you only make very small, smooth movements and corrections. Doing sharp, sudden maneuvers will make it impossible to hover without the autohover. But once you get the hang of it, you'll never want to go back to the autohover.

My suggestion is to have a look at Dysl... Dsyll... the shacktac founder person's youtube here, and his "art of flight" videos:

Three about basics of flying, emergency management and landing. Those, I found helpful in getting a few basics straighter myself.

Hope this helps

Insta

We know that the default key for Throttle Up is "Q".

I have now learnt there is a "Throttle Down" - the standard is "A".

Throttle Down on a helicopter causes it to lose height but it does not slow down.

Throttle down on a fixed with aircraft causes the aircraft to slow - this makes it easier to fire on a ground target.

We know that the default key for Throttle Up is "Q".

I have now learnt there is a "Throttle Down" - the standard is "A".

Throttle Down on a helicopter causes it to lose height but it does not slow down.

Throttle down on a fixed with aircraft causes the aircraft to slow - this makes it easier to fire on a ground target.

Throttle down default is "Z" not "A"

Either way using throttle down won't slow it down, you need to raise your nose. Z only makes it descend.

My controls (not changed from default)

W - nose down/forward

A - Roll left

S - Nose up/ back

D - Roll right

Q - trottle up / ascent

Z- throttle down / descent

X - rudder left

C - rudder right

Mouse - same as WASD

Now flying on a heading due north.

When turn any aircraft it will tend to roll. My aircraft hate banking.

As a result I fly north upside down.

Well no not exactly correct. I had always expected the controls to be cartoonish. Instead, I find each aircraft/helicopter has a different sized turning circle. I don't know what the turning circle of each aircraft is so.....instead of changing the heading the aircraft rolls.

If I allow a turning circle that takes as long as 3 mins I can fly over a ground target, bank, turn and once again head for the target.

As this is a game I had expected I could turn on a dime.

Why is is that helicopters cannot turn on a dime?

TBH I'm just gonna call your troll bluff and give up

To turn fixed wing you bank then pull up "W".

The same can be done with rotary but shouldn't pull up too hard or you lose a lot of speed.

That is exactly what I do.

With an A10 for example, having flown over the target I now need to turn, bank and return to the target. Flying at 400kph how long should it take to do this? In movies it seems to take a matter of seconds.

With a helicopter flying at say 100kph how long should it take to do this? In movies they seem to turn on a dime.

I am now flying a Little Bird helicopter on a heading of 180. I wish to turn right just a bit to a heading of 200. The helicopter rolls but it is near impossible to make the nose point in a different direction.

The only controls available are:

Bank Right

Right Turn

Right Pedal

Nose down

Nose up

Which is the correct combination of controls to achieve the change in direction?

movies are make-believe, like elves, gremlins and eskimos.

for more realistic controls, unbind right and left turn. only use banking...

when you are banked, nose up to turn faster. the harder you nose up, the faster you turn.

Dont unbind left and right turn its very usefull when hovering and on slooow speed.