Sign in to follow this  
ExtinctSquirrel

Learning to master the UH-1H

Hello there Arma 2 & OA Community!

First I'd like to introduce myself a little bit before I start off with this thread,

As many people, I got Arma 2 CO to be able to play Dayz, mostly for the mod itself (survival with hard concequences upon death) but also for the military simulation and the realism of the game Arma 2.

After this playing this mod for months and months, many hours on end I have aquired the skills for the weapons,stealth and tactical gameplay and made myself familiar with all the vehicles that are included in DayZ.

The only vehicle I haven't even touched is the UH-1H, the only helicopter available in vanilla DayZ (without mods of this.. mod).

I came to these forums in the hopes to find someone that is experienced with this specific aircraft and is willing to teach me how to fly it, both remotely and on an expert level.

I am very honest when it comes to asking for help so let me begin to say that I have no experience getting this metal beast further than 2 meters before crashing it.. that was a waste of time repairing that one (ofcourse, DayZ).

Hoping to find someone eager enough to take me on as their student.

Thanks in advance.

Regards;

ExtinctSquirrel.

You do know that ArmA 2 has a Editor? You do know that in this Editor you can place every available vehicle and test it out? That would be my suggestion: place a player unit, place the UH-1H and fly. When crashed, just restart.

Besides that, out of curiosity: what controls do you use for flying? Keyboard/Mouse, Joystick, Gamepad?

Myke;2249652']You do know that ArmA 2 has a Editor? You do know that in this Editor you can place every available vehicle and test it out? That would be my suggestion: place a player unit' date=' place the UH-1H and fly. When crashed, just restart.

Besides that, out of curiosity: what controls do you use for flying? Keyboard/Mouse, Joystick, Gamepad?[/quote']

Thanks for replying Myke.

I haven't messed with the editor yet.

I wanted to hear what kind of opinions and idea's the community might have that might've been better.

Right now I'm trying;

- Mouse + keyboard

- Keyboard only (WASD + Arrow keys)

Regards;

ExtinctSquirrel

Isn't there The Armory?

You can select any vehicle or weapon and test it out, don't even need to use the editor.

Actually, I've never really played ArmA II TBH.

Well, I played a tiny bit on my really shit laptop (on very low settings for EVERYTHING, still does about 1 frame a second) but I'm building a PC now :)

But yeah I thought there was the armory thing you could use too.

Still my advice: Open the Game -> Singleplayer -> Editor -> (pick island of your choice - Utes would be a good start) -> place a player unit -> place a vehicle (Empty>Air>UH-1H) -> start practicing. It's not exactly rocket science. ;)

About controls: the best controls are those which are comfortable for you. For me HOTAS & Rudder Pedals feel right. If a Gamepad feels best for you, then thats your way...or Mouse/Keyboard.

:EDITH:

@ArmAIInoobATM

In the armory you have to unlock vehicles first, in the editor they are all there at your service already. ;)

Myke;2249692']Still my advice: Open the Game -> Singleplayer -> Editor -> (pick island of your choice - Utes would be a good start) -> place a player unit -> place a vehicle (Empty>Air>UH-1H) -> start practicing. It's not exactly rocket science. ;)

About controls: the best controls are those which are comfortable for you. For me HOTAS & Rudder Pedals feel right. If a Gamepad feels best for you' date=' then thats your way...or Mouse/Keyboard.

:EDITH:

@ArmAIInoobATM

In the armory you have to unlock vehicles first, in the editor they are all there at your service already. ;)[/quote']

Thanks for the reply Myke,

I'll try as soon as possible.

Would you be willing to jump in with me and give me certain pointers as I plummet to the ground after not doing so well? ;)

EDIT: If that is possible with the editor ofcourse.. No idea :)

Regards;

ExtinctSquirrel

Edited by ExtinctSquirrel

Go to the Options screen and select Aircraft Controls.

Be very careful as to how you set the flying controls.

I have a joystick and every aircraft is difficult to fly.

The good news: I'm a virtual flight instructor with thousands of hours in the most realistic flight simulators I can get my hands on. (I also have a few hundred flight hours in Arma's helicopters, although I would not call this a realistic simulator.) I enjoy sharing my love of flight (real and virtual) with others, and trying to help them learn to fly, as others helped me learn in the distant past.

The bad news: I'm kind of a crappy communicator; my brain operates on a different plane than my mouth does, and I can be strident in my suggestions to my students. I'm also going to be constantly making comparisons between Arma's flight model and the real deal. I consider it important that my virtual flight students understand that, due to modelling errors, various techniques are good in the simulator or game, but very bad in real life (and vice versa). Many of my virtual flight students have found the information to be excessive.

So, I'd be happy to try to hook up with ya and give you some lessons on flying the Huey in Arma, but you might end up wishing I'd shut up. Let me know if you're interested or not; if I don't hear a response within a week or so, I'm going to delete this post. Last few times I've made this offer, giving the pros and cons, it's been ignored, so this one's only going to be open for a while.

Edited by Echo38

As a helicopter pilot, how can i get the aircraft to fly in a straight line? It is always trying to turn to the left.

In those small choppers, how do you fly and aim at a target?

In a jet aircraft how do you turn? Mine spin like a dart but don't change direction.

You know, there are also tutorials to learn how to fly, then go to the editor to get used to the huey and how it handles

There are no tutorials in game.

There are tutorials on Youtube - but I am not actually flying so they are not so useful.

The UH-1H Iroqouis is one of the most maneuverable helos in ArmA. It's my personal favourite aircraft in the game. You can pull off some incredible feats of aerobatics in it if you know how to fly it.

Essentially, as I see you're a DayZ player exclusively, mouse + keyboard is my personal favourite way to fly, the helo basically flies itself, with WASD being reserved for super hard motions, QZ basically locking you to a height and the mouse being good for fine tuning. Practice in the editor (Double click on map > SIDE to Indie > TEAM to Takistan Civilians > TYPE to AIR > UH1H Iroquois | is how to spawn one iirc) some basics and you'll be flying in no time.

You talked about aiming earlier in the thread.

Yeah, you can't move the weapons independently of the aircraft, you have to bank roll and pitch to get them on target most of the time, it's tricky but ArmA's meant to be realistic game.

All I can really say is practice and have fun with it.

There are no tutorials in game.

There are tutorials on Youtube - but I am not actually flying so they are not so useful.

Yes there are, defiantly did vehicle tutorials in Arma 2, I remember it well. You were playing as Cooper being instructed by the venom pilot how to fly, and at the end you did auto rotation.

EDIT: why hello mr. youtube video.

hwzYYZ75TFo

EDIT 2: Yea it's under Singleplayer -> Bootcamp -> Helicopter basics.

Edited by Slatts

EDIT 2: Yea it's under Singleplayer -> Bootcamp -> Helicopter basics.

"Cooper fly to next waypoint" is not a tutorial.

I wish to land within 200 meters of a designated spot. How do you do that?

How does a helicopter pick up speed without nosing into the ground?

"Bank Left" is bound to the joystick.

"Left Turn" and "Left Pedal" are both bound to the same button on my joystick.

"Right Turn" and "Right Pedal" are both bound to the same button on the joystick.

The helicopter is constantly fighting me and trying to turn to the left. Hence I cannot fly straight and cannot aim the weapons.

"Cooper fly to next waypoint" is not a tutorial.

I wish to land within 200 meters of a designated spot. How do you do that?

How does a helicopter pick up speed without nosing into the ground?

"Bank Left" is bound to the joystick.

"Left Turn" and "Left Pedal" are both bound to the same button on my joystick.

"Right Turn" and "Right Pedal" are both bound to the same button on the joystick.

The helicopter is constantly fighting me and trying to turn to the left. Hence I cannot fly straight and cannot aim the weapons.

You cannot be serious about the 2nd and 3rd points.

You cannot be serious about the 2nd and 3rd points.

Runways have marks on them where lines cross the concrete. I have tried landing on specific marks. Can't get within 200 meters. Typically overshoot the mark but the most annoying thing is that I land left or right of the mark. I was flying straight. Why did I land to the left or right?

I am hovering and facing north. I press the corrrect key and chopper turns right to face east hooray! I now go hands free. Why is the chopper turning to the left?

My fixed wing aircraft is flying north level and steady. Then starts to turn to the left.

First part, slow down.. pitch your nose up and descend, practice for more precise landings.

second, I think we've had some misunderstanding, this happens to everyone, Arma's flight model isn't exactly the best. You just got to adjust to it and try not yaw. and give yourself a good long up.

EDIT: also if you wanna learn how to go forward without going nose diving into the ground, press W for a short while till you pick up speed and bring your nose back up...just like a real helicopter.

Also just to be sure, post a video of you flying please

Edited by Slatts

I can't use Fraps :(

What is the difference between Left Ruddder and Left Pedal ?

I can't use Fraps :(

What is the difference between Left Ruddder and Left Pedal ?

Can you use msi-afterburner, easy to take vids and you can control quality a little. Also worth it for checking fps, fan etc.

I use a mouse & nostromo for flying, so not sure regards joystick etc..

Regards landing within a certain distance, whilst getting used to flying use the ‘auto-hover’ it stops you nicely and you can move either left or right without any trouble, have to disable it to move backwards or forwards, but it helps you until your confident to do without. Regards it nose diving, get good height to begin with and learn to drop the nose slightly, not in a rush, then you can always add a little more if its not enough, but most heli’s pick up speed reasonably well..

It is really all about control or key setups, get the right one and then start practising..

I think your problems have to do with the way you've bound your controls and / or your joystick calibration. The vehicles in Arma don't constantly pull in any direction (unlike Take On, for example), so any tendency for them to do so would be an indication of a problem.

To avoid having to keep restarting in early practice when you'll probably crash often, when setting up in the Editor put the following line in the init fields of both the chopper and your character:

this allowDamage false;

which makes them indestructible.

Remove it later do you don't develop a false sense of security :)

It appears the thread I started has been hijacked O_o

That's ok though, the forum is meant to answer questions and enjoy yourself.

I have had the pleasure to meet with a few people that were willing to give me a few pointers and for that I wish to say thanks.

Joe98, I hope your problem gets resolved.

As an update for my own study;

Taking off, flying fast and under 10m altitude goes fine.

landing however is still a little bit of an issue..

I refuse to flair high in the air when attempting to land.. I like to stay close to the ground for minimal danger to my crew.

This sometime works and sometimes I crash badly into the ground.

Will be worked on though.

Regards;

ExtinctSquirrel

It appears the thread I started has been hijacked O_o

That's ok though, the forum is meant to answer questions and enjoy yourself.

I have had the pleasure to meet with a few people that were willing to give me a few pointers and for that I wish to say thanks.

Joe98, I hope your problem gets resolved.

As an update for my own study;

Taking off, flying fast and under 10m altitude goes fine.

landing however is still a little bit of an issue..

I refuse to flair high in the air when attempting to land.. I like to stay close to the ground for minimal danger to my crew.

This sometime works and sometimes I crash badly into the ground.

Will be worked on though.

Regards;

ExtinctSquirrel

I'll host a small training mission to assist you further if you'd like? :)

I'll host a small training mission to assist you further if you'd like? :)

Any help within ArmA with tips for the helicopters are welcome.

Seeing as I also play DayZ and most of us know that it takes up quite some time if you want to get something done we'll have to arrange something :)

If I am not available for 'practise' maybe someone else that's also eager to learn these metal beasts can.

Regards;

ExtinctSquirrel