Sign in to follow this  
nateyj80

Heur Virus reported in 1.03 patch .exe???

Downloaded the 1.03 patch and it comes back with a virus warning!! wtf! ???

AVG detects Heur.dropper??

cant seem to find what virus this is as AVG website comes back with not much useful info.

anyone else come across this?

I'm not familiar with AVG but the "heur" part of it indicates to me that it says it has come to the conclusion it has found a virus by heurstic methods.

Basically that is the anti-virus program saying that "I think I found a virus" (based on various criterias) rather than "I definitely found a virus".

I just ran carrier.exe and all the DLLs in both Steam and retail version of 1.03.0006 Beta as well as the patch exe itself with negative results. I have even downloaded the patch from the link from the web and nothing.

(I have ESET NOD32 AV with latest (today) update)

I also ran it through online multi-antivirus engine. Results:

1.03.0006Beta carrier.exe -

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/d868f116e7de7238acdb39a8e61ae599ae418552

1.03.0006Beta Patch zip file itself (as downloaded from the server)

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/a3bcd171897a04c7ad37717efdb9de5b7a8ab99d

In the past we have had trouble with AVG giving false positives when the exe was protected.

Could you please provide details?

What file is reporting virus?

Which version of the patch do you have?

Where did you download it from?

AVG, generic heuristic, prone to false positives, report to the AVG company so they adjust / fix it

AV-Software and their heuristic methods are sometimes to "carefully" and say by a lot of software there is/could be a virus, without any virus in that software. So sometimes it may be right but in a lot of cases it isnt right. And when the source for the download isnt a suspect one, i would run it. But never forget its your decision, so use brain 1.0 (or an upgraded one ;) ) and trust or dont trust.

I also got an AVG virus alert on the 1.03 patch when I tried it a few days ago. Just right-click the AVG tray icon and select "temporarily disable AVG protection" while you do the patch, or you can add the file to the exceptions list: Double click AVG tray icon, go to Tools > Advanced settings > Anti-Virus > Resident shield > Exceptions > Click add file.

I also had to do this when I installed the release version from the CD, as it deleted carrier.exe, so I had to install again.

Exactly BlauBear!

nateyj80 - just make sure you have file from our mirror and that the hashes match so that you know you have downloaded what we have released.

Hashes are:

File: Carrier_Command_Patch_1_03_Beta.zip

Filesize: 19MB

CRC-32: 7923814a

MD4: 06e64b69af9dd445106ea2832eba1795

MD5: 4db1a7574e60b13f002649f54121209d

SHA-1: 3687ad90c9e7f9bb62f4d1a6ac09a249ab8a18ce

and for today's update:

File: Carrier_Command_Patch_1_03_0006_Beta.zip

CRC-32: 500c40bc

MD4: 045bd7d0b4f8e62563d253c6beb57723

MD5: fbd2de8be8fd310a9ee25fedddd3100c

SHA-1: 5983ad0e43230c1272c87ffe2b53e6c4e3ed38d0

and for today's update:

File: Carrier_Command_Patch_1_03_0006_Beta.zip

Thanks for pointing out the new beta, I am happy to say it now launches properly, and this one does not get flagged by AVG.

It's what is called a false positive,it's becoming a bit widespread with different AV makers(especially AVG free).Apparently they don't tweak them good enough anymore and people get confused.

Also I doubt that a company like BI would just distribute infected software.

It's what is called a false positive,it's becoming a bit widespread with different AV makers(especially AVG free).Apparently they don't tweak them good enough anymore and people get confused.

Also I doubt that a company like BI would just distribute infected software.

No, disrespect to BI, and I don't know what's going on, but I also had the AVG issue. The thing is about an hour after the initial alert I got another AVG message saying it had found "heur" in the system folder of the partition that the game was on. At that point, I abandoned trying to use patch 1.03 and went to patch 1.02.

I should explain, I'm a newcomer and was waiting for this patch before starting the game on account of the Walrus pathing issues I'd read about here..

Downloaded the 1.03 patch and it comes back with a virus warning!! wtf! ???

AVG detects Heur.dropper??

So what. Part of their crappy business. Learn to judge about trustworthiness yourself.

The heuristic detection in AVG is well known to cause false positives. My recommendation is not to switch to some other AV than AVG.

No, disrespect to BI, and I don't know what's going on, but I also had the AVG issue. The thing is about an hour after the initial alert I got another AVG message saying it had found "heur" in the system folder of the partition that the game was on. At that point, I abandoned trying to use patch 1.03 and went to patch 1.02.

I should explain, I'm a newcomer and was waiting for this patch before starting the game on account of the Walrus pathing issues I'd read about here..

you need to understand that "heuristic" is a way to identify suspicious files not by searching for a specific virus but for certain Bit sequences that are typical for viruses manipulating files and system. The hope is to find new viruses that the AV does not know specifics about. Problem is that installation programs use very similar sequences and any "serious" virus developer will use measures against them (he can easily test by using public AV programs). So this method is very controversial as definition of "typical" is up to the AV developer and some companies are suspected to use this as a sort of "advertisement", generating more alerts than the competition to convince the users their product is better.

So check where you downloaded the file. If you don't trust them (any experience with the web site?), download the file from somewhere else, preferably a site you have good experience with or that you know is highly frequented (like using the BI download) and where no virus is reported in their forums (like here). If your AV brings the same alert, you can ignore it. You can also try a different AV program. If a programs alert with a meaningless message, it is not a sign of quality.