meshcarver

Large S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired Island "NOVA ZONA"

Hey meshcarver, Awesome project your producing man:ok::ok: I don't know how or if Dean Rocket will accept user made content for that thing he's doing, But those guys over at 'The Zombie Infection' have got it goin on right now with their Arma 3 modification & would surely love to check out your map. Do you have an E.T.C. yet?

http://www.thezombieinfection.com/forum/57-arma-3-breaking-point/

Hey meshcarver, Awesome project your producing man:ok::ok: I don't know how or if Dean Rocket will accept user made content for that thing he's doing, But those guys over at 'The Zombie Infection' have got it goin on right now with their Arma 3 modification & would surely love to check out your map. Do you have an E.T.C. yet?

http://www.thezombieinfection.com/forum/57-arma-3-breaking-point/

Man this would be awesome if it came off!!

play your cards right and this will be the next namalsk,

add mutants into the picture than dude you are a island making god like Icebreakr

OMG, just found this thread! Went and looked at the art work on meshcarver.com and so impressed! The objects are perfect. Thanks for doing this project, so interesting! I have been messing around with Namalsk map in Arma 2 and all sort of objects. Was trying recreate Metro 2033 post nuclear war scenarios. Very much the same atmosphere you are creating with this project. I really hope you would release your creations as an architectural pack for these kind of scenarios. I hope I am not asking for too much. It was SOO hard to find objects like these to create the proper atmosphere. If I can make a suggestion, please make some stand-alone openable doors and just vertical and horizontal sheet metal or wood board panels to patch up the holes and window cells and empty doors in these half ruined houses. It makes these ruins liveable and atmospheric. Looks like the zone people patched up the ruins to protect themselves from emissions or radiation.

I can recall (several pages ago..) a similar request for a "standalone architecture pack".

The MC (if i m not mistaken) said it is not 'very' likely to happen..or at least he will think about it after the 'Whole' island will see the light.

Yes..this work is very precious because 99% of ARMA user-created (or BI created) islands are made to fit out-of-the-box

any Altis life or (TypeAny)_life RPG gamemodes.

Somewhat 'wise' decision of course..because as creator you are not limiting the type of gamemodes due to the

scenery of disaster but..

the (missing) feeling of destruction/misery/death/filth/stench it's like..cooking without salt (for lots of people here i believe) :)

Hey guys..! :)

Jeez, you lot make it hard to stay off this thread... I knew I said I'd stay away, but seeing all these kind posts and suggestions I thought I'd at least reply- I don't want you to think I'm blanking you.

@Big_T- Very nice of you to say, and yes indeed, this is constantly at the fore of my mind mate. I can't get it out of my head, and when I can't find any chance to work on it, I'm playing little scenarios in my mind of what it'll look and feel like... and it's KILLING ME!!!

@Sidekill09- Lol, I really hope it lives up to your expectations when it finally releases man.

@robowilso- I'm not sure about the Rocket situation, but ideally (In my own idea of a perfect world..!) this would come out for both DAYZ SA and ARMA 3 as a complete Sandbox map- to do as you please with.

@SpetS15- Thanks man- I love your Avatar btw lol..!

@pooley- Well, time will tell I suppose dude.

@AngelWingGamingJacob- (That's one hell of a name lol..!) Namalsk for me is the most atmospheric of all the brilliant maps out there, and was a driving force in helping me to commit to creating NOVA ZONA- it's simply amazing...

I'd love to EVENTUALLY create some forms of AI that would fit into this aesthetic, but that's a LONG way down the road.

Oh, and Icebreakr is a map making machine... :cool: I don't know how the guy does it..!!!

@Bospor- Thank you for checking out my site mate, nice one. Aye, I'm planning on creating boarded up windows/doors etc and having all manner of little touches that will bring NOVA ZONA to life/death..!

As you are seeing the structures right now, that's at their bare basics.

There will be lots of little models to scatter around and on them to create a more believable environment, don't worry! ;)

@GiorgyGR- Aye, you're correct man- I'm not planning initially on releasing all these as standalone placeable objects etc. The MAIN thing is to finish this whole map first, and I'm still undecided as to whether or not to release the objects separately either.

I will get as much destruction/misery/death/filth/stench into this island as possible- and then some.

OK guys, I hope that's ok for now.

As I say, RL is keeping my hours away from this project and there's nothing I can do about it except grab the odd 30 mins every other bloody day, so it's gonna take time sadly.

If I could work full time on this, that'd be perfect as it's my dream project- but it doesn't work like that... :(

It's always a good boost in the meantime to see comments and ideas, so please keep them coming chaps.

Take it easy..!

Marc

Edited by meshcarver

Hey guys..! :)

@AngelWingGamingJacob- (That's one hell of a name lol..!) Namalsk for me is the most atmospheric of all the brilliant maps out there, and was a driving force in helping me to commit to creating NOVA ZONA- it's simply amazing...

I'd love to EVENTUALLY create some forms of AI that would fit into this aesthetic, but that's a LONG way down the road.

Oh, and Icebreakr is a map making machine... :cool: I don't know how the guy does it..!!!

Yea, i have a few ideas for AI that you can probably find useful once you figure them out, if you'd like to know just PM me

Yea, i have a few ideas for AI that you can probably find useful once you figure them out, if you'd like to know just PM me

Very kind of you matey- thank you.

This side of things will be VERY far in the future though- the island comes first.

Very kind of you matey- thank you.

This side of things will be VERY far in the future though- the island comes first.

ik, but i can say one right now, once you learn how to make custom unit models.

A infected Soldier who has a huge arm and one hits infantry yet walks very slow and can disable cars in 1 hit, MRAPS in 2, and so on

Hi all..!

Damn, it's been awhile but I finally found some time to get back on with my beloved NOVA ZONA project again..!!! :D

I've just finished this large warehouse type building, and based it off the many grim looking warehouses that are to be found all over Thailands industrial areas here (Which are fantastic for inspiration by the way..!).

As always, I'm trying to keep these in line with the STALKER aesthetic, but take them from a completely different approach design wise so they look new and unique- I don't want to simply reproduce the same structures we've all seen before.

It's a good challenge to build in large details like the overlapping sections on the sides and the large overhanging pipe that splits in two over your head when you enter- it looks pretty freaky when you're in game and you run inside in a rainstorm, look up with your torch on and it illuminates this almost organic looking structure.

In adding these large details, I also try to make the basic layout of these places easily navigable and readable so as not to confuse the player or stop the flow of AI patrolling through them.

With this one, there's basically the main front entrance (A large open end with a single concrete pillar dividing it) and two smaller holes knocked out of the bricks on the side. To get through the smaller one you have to duck.

Inside there's a couple of concrete bulkheads that hold up the large pipe overhead to crouch behind, and also four little stairways up to a raised platform for a better vantage of the entrance.

Anyway, here's a couple of basic shots of the structure from the front and behind:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/12946788143/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/12947083984/in/photostream/

And, as a special treat as it's been so bloody long, here's a shot of the Cinder Warehouse in game providing cover for three poor souls who are about to be lost to the Zone from God knows what... muhhhhahahahaha..!

The Last Stand

Finally, I thought I'd show this building in game in day time too so you can get a better idea of what the sun shafts and overall look is like, so here you go guys- I hope it whets your appetites until the next update:

FRONT

REAR

INTERIOR

As always chaps, please feel free to ask questions, leave feedback/suggestions etc- it really does help to keep me going seeing people opinions and gives me a right old boost..!

Take it easy,

Marc

Outstanding work once again, looks really creepy, can't wait to soil my pants :D

One thing did catch my eye tho, where did the bricks from the knocked down wall go? Maybe toss in a few bricks laying in the ground/floor, perhaps a couple of those roof panels too?

Outstanding work once again, looks really creepy, can't wait to soil my pants :D

One thing did catch my eye tho, where did the bricks from the knocked down wall go? Maybe toss in a few bricks laying in the ground/floor, perhaps a couple of those roof panels too?

Hey,

Thanks for the comments man and yes, I've also been bearing this in mind... I'll get around to adding fallen masonary and metal roofing etc at some point.

I have just been in two minds as to include it with the building or have it as a separate placable object?

I'll see...

I have just been in two minds as to include it with the building or have it as a separate placable object?

I'll see...

I recommend using a proxy setup in O2, you can use those objects in other similar structures that way. See sample house in tools.

All we need now is screens of a forest of dead/half dead trees and some sort of mutant or zombie or a mumbie

All we need now is screens of a forest of dead/half dead trees and some sort of mutant or zombie or a mumbie

...all in good time man, I plan creating the entire terrain and flora from scratch and have large plans and ideas for it. :)

One of the best things I thought Namalsk did well was those tall reedy patches- they looked great and served a purpose aswell as they sometimes obscured the players line of sight.

@ James2464, aye mate, I might very well go down that route but in placing them I'd have to be careful not to block any AI Pathlods.

Edited by meshcarver

Hi about mutants i know this maybe difficult to ansewer but just for information (mutants will be like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R game?)

Edited by mi24

Hi, great work meshcarver.

I think will be a big deal if you find a way to do a metro wich link biggest city on map. I know i say something like capture a megalodon with a fishing pole, but think about namalsk underground structure. This would give an incredible frightful mood at the map and also a game approach that any other map can give.

In case you want some more ideas... this is the current evolution of CryZone 23, now called Neya 7. http://www.indiedb.com/games/neya-7

What I think you might like is the "dry" area as it could be useful as inspiration for Ash-land: colour palette change and you're off.

Hi chaps,

@ mi24- As of yet, there's no plans of mine to add in mutants or any other complex life. The focus is ENTIRELY on creating an island mate.. MAYBE at some point in the future, who knows?

@MrMiSfit- Cheers dude. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do HUGE underground complexes/structures of ALL kinds, but as of yet, underground structures aren't properly implemented for ARMA 3 sadly. If they at some point do implement support for underground places then NOVA ZONA will be riddled with them- but until then, I'd rather not put them in if they won't work correctly.

@Grimwald- Hey man, how's it going..? :)

Thanks for that link, I wondered where the Cryzone 23 dev had gone so will give that a look asap mate- thanks again and I'll catch up with your channel soon too- been stupidly busy!

I've got a LOT of RL work on atm too, so it's going to be a long wait until the next dev update guys it pains me to say... :(

Simply put, I need to put bread, well- noodles, on the table first and foremost... NOAV ZONA must come second to that.

Hi, great work meshcarver.

I think will be a big deal if you find a way to do a metro wich link biggest city on map. I know i say something like capture a megalodon with a fishing pole, but think about namalsk underground structure. This would give an incredible frightful mood at the map and also a game approach that any other map can give.

This feature only would require a X2 of map making time unless "Underground buildings/installations" would have been

supported by ARMA.

If you are really interested about this feature-you can help us by supporting this ticket:

Underground Buildings ARMA support

Thanks

@MrMiSfit- Cheers dude. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do HUGE underground complexes/structures of ALL kinds, but as of yet, underground structures aren't properly implemented for ARMA 3 sadly. If they at some point do implement support for underground places then NOVA ZONA will be riddled with them- but until then, I'd rather not put them in if they won't work correctly.

There are undergrounds in Namalsk

15oevp8zrc.png

More info: http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=18339

Edited by gonza

@gonza

Yes..it is possible (as you have shown).

..but it will be easiest -by far- if BIS would have added built-in support for underground objects (and why not under-water structures also) instead of modded's hocus-pocus to make it barely-functional.