meshcarver

Large S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired Island "NOVA ZONA"

Spooky. Looking fantastic, as always :)

Your avatar reminds me of Tom Cruise every time I see it ;)

Edited by rzon

Really, it feels like an immense step to have some actual moving life given to NOVA ZONA in the form of the Designators and I can't thank you enough for your time and effort man and I incline in your general direction sir..! :)

It's all good mate - really good to see how freaky they looked! Don't make me test that stuff on my own in the dark.... :)

@ rzon- cheers on both counts man..!!! I showed your post to my better half before and she couldn't stop laughing..!

I don't think she considers me a Tom Cruise lookalike but I can dream lol- the mansome beast..!!!!! ;)

@ Das Attorney- hey man, great to hear from you before..!

Yeah, I ran more tests yesterday in the dark with a torch and it is truly unnerving to see them surround your house where you end up cowering... One looked like it was looking in through the window and the hieght rnd is working wonders for variations..! :)

Indebted sir...

Hey up,

a bit of a deviation from updating the development of NOVA ZONA here guys as I'm getting a lot of (welcome) questions and guesses at release dates I thought I'd write an "automated response" so I can just copy and paste it from now on and save time:

"Hi fellow Stalker,

this is an automated response regarding a release date and/or the current state of NOVA ZONA development. Whilst I really really appreciate your interest in wanting to get your irradiated hands on the map, it is in fact a very long way off from being finished yet.

I am still working on producing a library of objects/structures/models etc to populate the island with and haven't even started the actual Terrain yet..!

Time is very hard to come by for me, and I am grabbing an hour here and there when I can but because of this it is a hugely drawn out process so please bear with me, try to enjoy the updates and any advice or suggestions are always welcome.

Rest assured I want to put boots on the ground as much as you guys but it's taking time.

I will let you all know as soon as I can see an end in sight- for the time being, I am hiding in a bunker in the Eastern Ward of NOVA ZONA working in the wee hours of the night to make this happen...

Thanks very much for your interest and sorry I can't produce a release date yet,

Marc"

I just wanted to ask, is that sufficient do you think or does it come off as a bit dismissive at all..?

Please just feel free to dismiss and chip away at this awesome project.

Personally I'm happy to wait until you think it's perfect as I've seen the quality of what you have produced so far on your site and think we're all in for something special, Stalker was a defining game for me.

Thinking this will deserve some quality stalker units and assets hopefully from some other talented modders out there to compliment, good time ahead :D

Please just feel free to dismiss and chip away at this awesome project.

Personally I'm happy to wait until you think it's perfect as I've seen the quality of what you have produced so far on your site and think we're all in for something special, Stalker was a defining game for me.

Thinking this will deserve some quality stalker units and assets hopefully from some other talented modders out there to compliment, good time ahead :D

Cheers dude, aye, I loved the ported Stalker Units for ARMA 2... amazing seeing them in the RV Engine. If I had the time I could easily make some HD textures to go with those as I think they're perfect design wise as they are. :)

Cheers dude, aye, I loved the ported Stalker Units for ARMA 2... amazing seeing them in the RV Engine. If I had the time I could easily make some HD textures to go with those as I think they're perfect design wise as they are. :)

Yes true, I was very happy (and surprised) to see them in Arma, good times on Namalsk, I guess I'm imagining kitting up with all sorts of Stalker goodness in Virtual Arsenal.. Anyway I was supposed to say your message was not dismissive at all, happy carving!

Oh man, my imagination is running wild with the designators alone. You're doing a fantastic job bringing that eerie S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-esque atmosphere to the world.

Keep up the incredible work, love it so far!

Marc,

Dude - the work - it's INCREDIBLE. :yay:

I wouldn't allow all of the inquiries about "when is it going to be done" wear you down. The automated response is a smart idea, but, on a more personal level, real life can be a real challenge, and its demands come way ahead of anything virtual. Plus, everyone needs "down time" to play and enjoy life. So I'm hoping that you're keeping everything in balance, because, if not, it could be the loony bin, and we wouldn't want that.

And on that note, I'm shocked that it's been since May since I last posted here. Two jobs now. Three for my wife. If that doesn't explain it I don't know what can. :) So, once again, keep a good stride my friend!

A quick note on the latest work I've seen: I'm really enjoying the "personal style" that I'm seeing more and more of. And I'm talking about more than the organic-like structures that I love and have commented on before (the tentacle pipes are instant classics, and the latest concept art=wow!). It sounds like what little nuggets about the background of the region and the history of the incident is pretty unique, and happily distances itself from STALKER. I have to say that I'm VERY intrigued by the Designators. In concept, it feels similar to the ball (called "Rover") in the classic "The Prisoner" TV series

. Only the Designators look a lot harder. And far pointier. lol

The videos were great. Thank you for going through the trouble of making them and posting them. The atmosphere that your striving for is superior to STALKER's, in my opinion. Walking across that fog encrusted nightmare - ugh! My only concern is that the AI has its senses just as impaired as the player's. It would be nice if the greener the unit's are, the more likely they are to hesitate before shooting at whatever it is that's before them. They're "trying to figure out" if that silhouette is an opponent or not, just like the player is. If it takes them too long to figure it out, they'll bite the bullet just like the player will. I've played a little of STALKER Call of Pripyat with the Misery mod + The Armed Zone installed, and it still frustrates me how often the enemy AI can snipe you with a pistol or a hand grenade. If such uncanny behaviors can be avoided in your masterpiece, that would be great.

The ambient sound effects that I heard - creeped out my son and I when they started. The video of the workers in the Canadian forest reminded me of some WEIRD sounds that I've heard over the years in the woods myself. One of my friends' father's hunting camp was set on some property that wasn't "too far" from some major suspended power lines for the region. Supposedly the utterly disturbing sounds we heard from time to time were being generated by those wires, but we were a good half a km away from them, and yet the sounds seemed to come rolling over the trees like a demonic freight train, and would sometimes even "instantly" pick up volume right above you and descend downward, washing one's body in goosebumps. I don't know if you'll ever explain The Source(s) of such ambient sounds in your creation, but sometimes saying less means more. Surprisingly, far too few games incorporate such real life bizarreness, so the fact that you're incorporating them is to your advantage. Run with it.

Before I go, I'd like to strongly recommend to you a great post apocalyptic game called Neo Scavenger. It's one of The Best games I've ever played, and it's almost entirely text based. PLEASE don't let that put you off in any way. I'd consider referencing it just for ambiance. The combat system is great, and one holds their breath the entire time whether the fight is being fought bare-fisted, with a shard of broken glass, a tree limb, some miraculously still operable small arms, and more. But the atmosphere, wow, it's just great. You can find it here: http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/5

If you'd ever like feedback on the basic background of your world and its history, you know who to call... :bounce3:

Keep up the GREAT work. I'm proud of you!

Kyle..!

How's it going my good sir..?! Long time to speak- I hope you and yours are doing well mate... :)

I hope you've both settled down at last with those new jobs- it must've been a crazy hectic time for you with all that going on man.

Aye, I'm trying my utmost to create a new take on the Stalker aesthetic, sometimes basing ideas off their creations and other times just coming up with completely new stuff myself so it's a balancing act but I'm enjoying it.

I'm really happy with how the Designators came out- they remind a lot of people of a lot of different things, so I don't doubt there are inspirations galore in there but I wasn't thinking of anything in particular when I came up with the idea or developed them but must have been influenced at some point. Your ref about "The Prisoner" is spot on too, I remember those huge spheres..! That place is close to where I live, and I recently visited it with my better half- a nice little spot...

As far as atmosphere, yes, I'm trying to achieve a really otherworldly feeling to NOVA ZONA, and I hope I can successfully replicate what I'm doing in those videos with the actual terrain but some scripting will be necessary I think. The way I see it, if I can do it in the Editor, then I SHOULD be able to do it in game? Fingers crossed...

Yes, one of the many reasons for the Designators was to inject an uncertainty into the landscape ref other players. When you see one in the distance it is almost impossible to tell if it's really someone standing there or indeed a Designator- and this keeps you on your toes at all times when approaching villages etc... I've play tested them a few times now with the amazing "move" script Das Attorney is doing for me and it is very unnerving- if you turn your back on them, they might start to approach you... then, when you look again you can't be exactly sure if its moved or not. :)

I like the fact they are really part of the historical events too- each one is representative of an actual person who lived on Border Island, Civilian or Island Authority so each one is unique in that sense and I have plans for making that uniqueness come through in game... but that's for another time. ;)

As for sounds, aye I love those huge mysterious noises in the sky from some Youtube videos. Very apocalyptic. I will be having lots of that stuff and some of it will have a source and some not- the sound FX will be an important element of NOVA ZONA and help to sell the atmosphere.

Thanks for the recommendation for Neo Scavenger- I took a look at a few videos of it and it does look atmospheric, but I couldn't promise that I cold give it any meaningful game time mate- I simply don't have enough free time to devote to NOVA ZONA as it is, so when I do get an hour or three I develop it further and so haven't really played anything for so long now..! I should set aside gaming time to be honest, after all, what's the point modding if I don't play the game I'm modding..!? :(

Alright dude, damn fine to hear from you again and thanks for the offer of help on the history- very kind.

Take it easy Kyle and drop in once in awhile, it's always good to see you here..! :)

Well, here's a few shots of a new building I just finished- one of FIVE basic Factory types of structure I'll be doing. Please bear in mind that the insides of all the structures should for now be considered "shells", as I will populate the insides with machinery and piping etc once they're placed in the map, so as to increase density and variation.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it:

FACTORY BUILDING TYPE 02 A

FACTORY BUILDING TYPE 02 B

FACTORY BUILDING TYPE 02 c

I've sort of decided that I'll need to create about FIVE different types of each basic structure (House, IA Housings, Factories, Research etc...) before I can FINALLY make a start on the Terrain itself.

It's about creating at least a basic library of object with which to flesh out the beginnings of a layout of NOVA ZONA as a map. So, this is Factory Type 02- there will initially be 4 other Types- I hope that makes sense guys...

Anyway, I'll be doing an Industrial chimney pipe next- and that's the kind of thing that I'll be able to place up against these structures for variation again. It's like making a HUGE jigsaw puzzle basically.

Hi Meshcarver, do you have parts of the map ready or "only" lots of objects? Please sorry for this a little bit improper question, but 3 years and 82 pages..................:p

Hi Meshcarver, do you have parts of the map ready or "only" lots of objects? Please sorry for this a little bit improper question, but 3 years and 82 pages..................:p

Patience! You can't rush art :D

Hi guys,

It's a fair enough question but I must've mentioned this at least twenty times by now in this thread lol.

It is currently just objects mate- as it's going to be a completely unique map I need to create EVERYTHING first myself, even down to fences and grass etc so that in itself is a gargantuan project if I may say so myself.

Put into the mix maybe of those THREE years I've only actually worked SIX MONTHS (Tops!) of actual 9-5 dev time as my RL work is computer graphics and as you probably know that can take up entire days, sometimes 16 hours long (never again on that though!).

To give you an idea of an average week spent on this if you consider RL- I'm LUCKY to get 10 hours... And that time will see me utterly knackered and bleary eyed at the end of the night when I should be sitting down zonked in front of the telly, or lying in bed waiting to sleep. If I don't grab that time for NOVA ZONA, it literally will not happen.

Hope this fully answers your question dude- I know everyone who mods is in the same boat, but some people somehow have/find more free time than others but this is the best I can do.

I just hope it doesn't disappoint when it's eventually born and slapped into life. ;)

Edited by meshcarver

I have to excuse me again for this improper question....it would be interesting to see your lovely custom objects in an example area :)

@ JumpingHubert- hey, no worries mate.

It's fine to ask as I take it as people just want to see this finished sooner rather than later but it puts me in an awkward position as all's I seem to be talking about lately is why it isn't out yet or why it's taking so long again and again.

I think that could come across like I'm always having a moan maybe?

I think what I'll do is copy and paste part of my post above into the front page of this thread in red letters or something, and from now on I'll just point people to that if they want to know why it's taking literally years.

What part of Germany are you from anyway? Beautiful country- I cycled through there in 2006..!

Beautiful work as always! I wouldn't worry about sounding like a moaner because you really don't! I wreckon a few pictures a week to show the projects alive and kicking is enough to keep everyone pleased. (Basically what you are doing at the moment :)

I'm going to step in as it's getting kind of ridiculous with the questions for releases. As Meshcarver has kindly stated again and again, the mod is a early work in progress. I won't hand out any formal warnings or infractions but ask you to please respect our forum rules (§5). Thank you!

Edited by PurePassion

@ TokyoIndia- cheers dude, you should be happy as I've got a couple of piccies to show right now as it happens..! ;)

@ PurePassion- Thanks very much for reminding folk it IS a work in progress, muchly appreciated mate. :)

Well, here's another update, this time of an Industrial Chimney Stack.

I'll be doing five variational Chimney Stacks to scatter across the island in the many industrial areas, all based roughly around RL designs from ref photos I've got.

This one I'm really happy with- the original design was about half this size (This one's about 45 meters tall..!) and its main feature was that lovely flared top section so it forms a sort of huge high overhang if you stand underneath it at the base- quite an overbearing structure which is what I like, again with the large forms high up overhead which will be a "signature" of NOVA ZONA.

I've taken a bit of artistic license with this one too, adding those strange circular vents at the top and all those little holes too to remove it slightly from the norm. I won't be going too far with details like these, just enough to push it "out there" a little bit... I've also added some large industrial tiling at the base where the little side pipe joins the bottom- something that's quite a feature in the STALKER games and always looks nice and creepy to me..!

Anyway guys, here's an overall shot of the form and a close up of top and bottom. To give you an idea of scale, on the bottom, that concrete base up to the tiling is 1 meter tall:

++ CHIMNEY 05 BOTTOM ++

++ CHIMNEY 05 TOP ++

I might do another Chimney Stack variation next too, they're good fun and don't take too long..!

Take it easy guys.

@ TokyoIndia- cheers dude, you should be happy as I've got a couple of piccies to show right now as it happens..! ;)

@ PurePassion- Thanks very much for reminding folk it IS a work in progress, muchly appreciated mate. :)

Well, here's another update, this time of an Industrial Chimney Stack.

I'll be doing five variational Chimney Stacks to scatter across the island in the many industrial areas, all based roughly around RL designs from ref photos I've got.

This one I'm really happy with- the original design was about half this size (This one's about 45 meters tall..!) and its main feature was that lovely flared top section so it forms a sort of huge high overhang if you stand underneath it at the base- quite an overbearing structure which is what I like, again with the large forms high up overhead which will be a "signature" of NOVA ZONA.

I've taken a bit of artistic license with this one too, adding those strange circular vents at the top and all those little holes too to remove it slightly from the norm. I won't be going too far with details like these, just enough to push it "out there" a little bit... I've also added some large industrial tiling at the base where the little side pipe joins the bottom- something that's quite a feature in the STALKER games and always looks nice and creepy to me..!

Anyway guys, here's an overall shot of the form and a close up of top and bottom. To give you an idea of scale, on the bottom, that concrete base up to the tiling is 1 meter tall:

++ CHIMNEY 05 BOTTOM ++

++ CHIMNEY 05 TOP ++

I might do another Chimney Stack variation next too, they're good fun and don't take too long..!

Take it easy guys.

just saying once this is released im making dynamic zombie sandbox for this xD

It's huuuuuuge :O I suppose you use several RVMATS for those? They really look great. Just out of curiosity, will some of those be climbable? I don't know how big the map is going to be but they'd make awesome vantage points for those creepy Designators.

And please be sure to give us all a timely heads up when you are nearing completion, I'm probably not the only one calling in sick when you release this :P

@AngelWingGamingJacob- lol, hopefully the Designators will have something to say about that... ;)

@Das Attorney- cheers matey, looking forwards to any updates you've made to "those which shall not be named"..! Even at this stage I don't get tired of scaring myself with the Designators scripting- great work!

@BadLuckBurt- Aye man, it's pretty big. For nearly ALL of my structures I'll use a Multimat as I've heard they're the most efficient way to map buildings etc. I think the limit for texture slots for a MultiMat is 4 slots, and for this structure I only used 3 textures @ 1024*2048 as it is very tall with a lot of unique areas when you get up close.

@serjames- The other Chimney types I'll be doing will have ladders yes man, but I might do a variation for this one with a ladder upto the mid section, then "break" the ladder runners as it's an overhang and would look crazy for a unit to climb the top part I think...

Hi guys,

quickie update here.

This is what's apparently called a "Quencher"..! I really like the silhouette these things produce, and they're quite large too which is a good combo...

These will sit over the many railway lines on the outer perimeters of Industrial Areas, as they were used to "quench" the hot metals and outpourings that were transported to slag heaps by train buses back before the Event when it was still known as Border Island.

Anyway, here's a few shots for you:

++ QUENCHER 01 A ++

++ QUENCHER 01 B ++

++ QUENCHER 01 C ++

I need to mention that as things currently stand in regards BIS's trial and testing of Server Monetization (And related issues) that I am not at present prepared to release NOVA ZONA once it is completed. Granted this is some way off, but in the event things stay as they are I thought I should make it clear here guys.

I am going to continue with the development in my own limited free time as per usual, in the hopes things pan out for the better.

Please continue to use this thread as a discussion about NOVA ZONA only, and if you want to engage on the Server Monetization discussion please contribute here, where you will also see my comments as I will not be responding to any questions about this here as I hope you'll understand.