meshcarver

Large S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired Island "NOVA ZONA"

Would be an awesome map. The uses for those building models are endless! Could be the best apocalyptic map in arma..

@jonbuckles-

That's the plan mate- ideally I'd like it to be for people what STALKER 2 was anticipated to be (As we all felt that loss when it was cancelled), and given it's going to be in the ARMA 3 engine there's the bonus of multiple ways to implement your play styles; some people will simply set up missions themselves and go SP, others will create all sorts of elaborate MP frameworks for people to just try to lose themselves back in the Zone and survive... and bearing that in mind I'll have to make it large enough for that to be possible.

All this will take time, and I have bags of motivation so as long as I can see there's also verbal support from the community and STALKER fans etc that will help spur me on.

I'm just about to start some more RL work that will last at least 3 months, with some days being in the region of 16 hours long- you can do the maths on that one as far as time set aside for NOVA ZONA goes. I'm not bitching, it's my choice to work as priorities are just that, but it's the primary reason development seems to be non-existent for both myself and you guys at times- I hope you will understand and don't doubt my motivation.

I have the rest of today free so I'll try to do another screenie of some structures you've already seen ingame, a fair weather one this time for variations sake.

Thanks for your comments jonbuckles. :)

What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours...

Two shots with two purposes:

One to show the difference a single day can bring forth whilst traversing NOVA ZONAs many splendid environs.

Two to answer numerous requests by certain unnamed individuals seeking sun soaked Zones. (Ie: "Why is it always f&*$£!g raining in NOVA ZONA..?!")

++ IN THE LOFTY HEIGHTS ABOVE THE NEW ZONE, THERE ARE SOARING ANGLES THAT BREACH THE CLEAR DAWN ++

++ IN DARKNESS SHEER, TRAPS AND SNARES WITH HEIGHT WILL INVADERS CLEAR ++

The "++" quotes above and below are taken from a guide that will accompany the release of NOVA ZONA: "SURVIVAL BY MEANS OF DECEPTION THEN EXTRACTION FROM THE NEW ZONE"

++ THIS PLACE EXISTS TO KILL YOU ++

Edited by meshcarver

Hey meshcarver!

Wow, those screenies! I can already imagine the feeling to wake up to a scene from the first shot, start gathering some equipment and plan your way out of there while birds maybe singing happily, a couple of butterflies flapping next to you, the sun is warm and bright, and then ... as the day draws to an end and the weather changes, those creatures crawl from under their rocks, alarm buzzing in the horizon, something moving in the mist .. just pure horror.

I'd very much like to help you by becoming a patreon, but my own financial situation is not the best now that the summer is coming to an end, it pains me to think what you must be feeling when you aren't able to devote your time for this, as you clearly have a strong vision and passion for it. :(

@AngleWingGamingJacob- Cheers man, glad you like it in the rosy glow of dawn for a change..! I couldn't resist putting a counter in there though to show the contrast of scene between day and night. :)

@CaptainObvious- Aye, I have plans to create specific altered lifeforms for NOVA ZONA, like little facsimiles of butterflies and insects etc that are a product of the blight that's slowly spreading over the wilderness. Some of these will be subtle- others, not so. ;)

Hey man, no worries about the Patreon thing- I wasn't holding up much hope for it anyway and the idea followed by the post was born of desperation more than anything else as it really gets me how little time I manage to get for this project.

Actually, this is probably a good time to tell you I've knocked the idea on the head- no Patreon Account for me- it's back to work as usual.

I do have a very strong vision and passion for NOVA ZONA yes, but RL is RL mate- I'm not going to compromise on that one..!

Really great work!! I would love to use the map for my mission/mod. The Day After which is currently on namalsk. Can't wait to see it in all of it's glory!

I do have a very strong vision and passion for NOVA ZONA yes, but RL is RL mate- I'm not going to compromise on that one..!

Of course, RL is what really matters, I'm sure everyone understands that.

Hey meshcarver , whats that for a fog ground effect ,a old script from arma 2 or completed new ?

@jonbuckles- hehe, no problem man, you'll just have a really long wait is all...

@CaptainObvious- indeed sir, indeed... Just wish it wasn't so damned all encompassing lol.

@stephsen- I searched for it since I saw Dsylecxi playing around with it and eventually came across this mate: setFog array

Hope that helps..!

Hi guys,

At the risk now of over using some structures, I've taken three shots of the same scene to again show how much the atmosphere can change on NOVA ZONA- I haven't got time to create any new structures right now and won't have for the next few months so this'll be it for awhile unfortunately.

Either way- I hope you like them...

++ TO RISE WITH THE SUN ++

++ DIMINISHING RETURNS ++

++ NO PLACE SACROSANCT ++

++ SEEK SHELTER WHEN THE SIREN SOUNDS ++

that is some incredible changes with just lighting and fog. keep up the great work meshcarver.

remember the old adage, good things take time!!

hey man, realy amazing stuff ! cant wait for this.

1 question, me and a buddy want to start mapmaking aswell. Maybe even make some buildings.

The buildings though, you have an avarge poly count you go for ? Any other advice that may improve our work ?

Thanks

Hi, great job, but I have a question.

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

What is the meaning of all these concrete buildings? It's like the old Soviet batching plant cyclic operation of tower type with four gravitation mixers. They were used for the construction of underground laboratories in Large S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Buildings should be located according to someone conceived the project.

There is a project that deals with modeling, but their model rougher than yours.

Another site where you can get ideas .

Edited by Shurka

Hi Shurka,

Hey, thanks for your pointers and advice man, appreciated.

The thing is, I am so bogged down with work I am unable to dedicate any time to this project right now.

Some days working have been 16 hours long so you can imagine how far off my radar NOVA ZONA is sadly- I almost try not to even think about it as it causes me too much distress and gets in the way of my RL work which right now is where my head needs to be to do a good job.

Damn guys,

sorry it's been awhile... I've been utterly busy so have not got anything new to show you unfortunately.

But, I do have another concept piece as I'm trying to enrol for a class early next year and have to build up my folio a bit so I stand a better chance of getting in- and with that in mind, I can at least try to skew my new folio pieces towards NOVA ZONA development, so as to kill two birds with one stone as it were... I hope you like it, and it should give you an idea of the scale of landscape I am going for.

++ MARK THE DAY OUR GLORIOUS RECEIVER WAS RENT ASUNDER, AS IT HEARKENED THE BEGINNINGS OF A NEW ZONE ++

That's stunning and mind arousing! I hope you'll be able to get back to working on it :)

Really stunning screens Meshcarver, that last one would make a lovely wallpaper for my desktop :cool:

I really wish you had entered the MakeArmANotWar Competition with NOVA ZONA. That cool money could have really helped you with your progress.

Wow, that feeling and mood in this artwork ist just stunning!

When you look at the success of DayZ (persistent open word survival) and couple that with the unabated desire for a truly modern STALKER sequel, the potential for this map on the latest ArmA 3 engine is massive (Next Big Thing massive).

Would love to see a STALKER or FALLOUT mod in ARMA3.

Do you have plans for anomalies? If you do pls make them as closer as was in the book, i liked anomalies in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but they didn't really nailed it, didn't feel the mystery :)