meshcarver

Large S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired Island "NOVA ZONA"

Hey meshcarver, will you add any underground stuff using a work around that was showed previously in the thread? Any small basements, I would die if you'll release a mod without them. Also nice models!

I would love to test the mod or map first xD^^ Buildings looks awesome graphiks just nice we need to get missions some kind of goal. life goal ;) Building system... Tents fireplace´s cookin system xDD Maybe you allready got some of these i dont read comments in mid of this thread

Hi look here (http://arma.at.ua/forum/46-2250-67) you need this addons to launch this mission (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6194 http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12898 http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15180) download 2nd one I could not make the script teleport (THIS IS 1st PROGECT SOO ITS SOO MANY MISTAKES) there is problem you can see the bunker from the land.

meshcarver this mod is amazing! Your models are truly marvelous! Keep it up!

Struth almighty, I've missed so much!!!

That concept art and those latest screenshots leave me speechless. I thought you were talented, but I didn't realise you were such a pro!

Thanks for my new wallpaper btw, haha. :D

I do wish you some luck in regards to RL stuff mate. Hell, I personally think BIS should hire you to make this an official DLC. I'd be more than happy to demolish my piggie bank for any last penny to pay for it. ;)

Keep up the great work when and where you can Marc. Your work is truly inspiring and motivating to me, and others no doubt. :icon_eek:

Oh and cheers for the info on the RMAT stuff. I thought I had replied saying thankyou but it seems not. I'm still not fully certain on how to best utilise them, but I'm slowly better understanding them as I go.

Hey Marc,

Just letting you know that I'm still alive, and I'm loving your work, as usual. That metal warehouse 01 that's 4-5 stories tall - that's just an awful site to see - and in a good way. I couldn't imagine how terrifying it'd be to clear that space out, regardless of the time of day. And the petrol station - brilliant. It'd be kind of funny to find a winning lotto ticket stuck somewhere inside. Talk about a bitter irony, eh?

Let me know when you're getting ready for some specialized scripting needs. Zorilya released a GENIUS mod for Arma II and III that has AI squads randomly spawn, randomly patrol, and randomly but SMARTLY occupy structures. They'll check to make sure that they're facing windows and doorways, and occasionally go out on a randomized patrol around and on the structure. I haunted his thread for quite a while, and would be happy to ask him on your behalf if you could incorporate his work into your island.

Alright, time for bed. Good night!

Hey guys,

@ evil-organ; Thanks for the message man, I hope it won't disappoint you!

@ Yurtex; If there's going to be ANY undergrounds at all, then I'll be adding every kind of conceivable underground structure to this map mate. BUT, there will only be undergrounds if BI really truly support it down the line and make it correctly as atm it is a work around that I'm not happy with.

@ Ckrauslo; Gee shucks man, appreciated but there's a LONG way to go yet..!

@ Lon3Wolf; Plan is currently just a map mate- once that's done and finalised I would probably go on to developing more modules etc that can be placed to bring life to NOVA ZONA.

@ mi24; What is all that please? Is there some undergrounds in there so you mean?

@ Teeha; Hi Teeha, thanks for dropping by and for the message- I'll keep going! :)

@ NerdMod; Hey matey thanks for popping by again! I'm glad you like the concepts, and no problem regards the RVMAT info- I think there's a Dev called Redstone who is currently doing video tutorials for us all so we can better follow a proper instructional guide rather than having to filter details ourselves or constantly message other mod makers.

It's almost impossible for me to find ANY time for this these days sadly, as RL work MUST come first- it's as simple as that. I have all the energy and motivation I need for this, but sadly not the time... and it's FRUSTRATING AS HELL..!!!

Damn, in regards making this official DLC: well talk about a dream come true lol..! *wakes up and rubs eyes...*

Anyway, do keep on keeping on with your amazing iBuild Mod mate- I see you've become active once again to everyones great relief..! :)

@ Kyle_K_ski; Great to hear from you again Kyle, it's been a long time mate!

Glad you like the updates, and aye, you can see that metal warehouse from a lonnnnnng way off and it looks pretty intimidating knowing there's some AI hanging around it too! It's pretty mean looking at dusk time, when the pointed top is silhouetted against the darkening skies- almost Church like...

That mod sounds fantastic- please could you PM me or link it in here as I can't find ref to it anywhere?

Right now, when testing the buildings I use TPW mods and it has literally opened the game up 1000% for me- I can't recommend it enough for the SP experience.

Anyway, I hope you're doing well Kyle and stay in touch man- it's always a boost to hear from you here..! :)

As a general update on the situation as you've probably gathered, the main obstacle for me right now is time, because of RL work commitments. There is nothing I can do about this as you can imagine. I need bread and water (Read; curry and beer!).

I am ever so slowly picking away at this at every opportunity I can grab, but that sometimes only amounts to roughly 30 mins or an hour tops starting at 9 at night after a full days work, so hopefully that gives you an idea of why output has slowed. :(

I have also JUST come back from two weeks holiday, so maybe there'll be an update in the next week or two- we'll see... but in general I just can't find the time sadly.

yes its underground bunker just need teleport script i dont know how to create i it.But point is this only way to create underground bunker in arma (problem the bunker can see from the ground but it can be fixed)

Hi mi24..! :)

Aye cheers mate, I thought so but if it's going to be a "work around" then I'd best leave it out. Otherwise it'll throw up more problems than it's worth and it'll be buggy too- I'll wait for BI to implement true underground support or not at all... :(

Marc,

Here you go, zorilya's fantastic work on trying to develop a garrisoning and patrol script that actually has the AI use structures for concealment and cover.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=18669&d=0

I thought that I read somewhere, a while ago, that there were a few "macro" AI mods that incorporated some of his work. I asked him about it here and have yet to hear a reply...

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&id=163350

I hear what you're saying in regards to BI supplying a well-executed underground system. I wouldn't implement it if it's not really supported well by BI. That said, I seem to remember you saying a long time ago that if you can figure a way to "fake it" that you'd try it (such as building a ground floor that's then completely surrounded by fake exterior "terrain"), but, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that attempts at this were tried in Arma II, and it had limited success. I believe that there were issues with players and AI clipping through the fake terrain, getting lost inside of it and whatnot. And since the Arma III engine's derived from II, we can only desperately hope that it would work much more smoothly than before.

At this late stage of the game's release, I'm actually surprised at how much GUI still isn't yet completed for the game, such as missing all-white icons for weapon attachments. Such omissions make me concerned that they'd tackle much weightier concerns, such as a dearly desired underground system.

Incredible work, my hat's off to you! Wishes of good luck and an never ceasing stream of creativeness :)

@Kyle_K_ski: Thanks for those links mate, I will have to give a few of my buildings a go using that script..! At the moment, I'm using TPW mods and it's REALLY good- the AI are now a serious threat and just seeing them react and suppress so well is pretty intimidating.

Yeah man, I'm just waiting for ANY news about BI underground support (Fingers crossed!), but I'm not holding out too much hope. I think it'd be a massive rewrite of core code to incorporate something so fundamental into the engine at this late stage of development.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions Kyle, it always bucks me up when I see you've made a post here..!

Hope everyone's fine in your camp.

@Rebane: Hello in Norway Rebane, and thanks for your kind comment! :)

Ok, I've managed to squeeze in some VERY late nights here, and eventually finished the new structures I've been working on at last.

These are medium sized Spherical Pressure Vessels, and there's two variations of them- one is the basic one and the other is linked to the "underground" (Don't get your hopes up yet!) by an inlet pipe and has a raised platform accessible by stairs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/14087382076/#

I've always loved the strange look of these containers when I see images of them or in real life- they look like they might just start walking towards you or something..!

I have chosen to make some for NOVA ZONA as they are such a weird and alien sight on the landscape and lend a feeling of other worldliness to the island. From a distance they really help to break up the horizon line with simple spherical geometry that looks very out of place- this is going to be a continuing theme in my development; creating large big bold basic geometrical shapes that will turn the skyline of NOVA ZONA into a very uneasy place to be.

I've changed them a bit from how they'd look in real life so as to fit better into this environment- things like making the base supports that horrible industrial tiling you used to get and rusting the hell out of them with drab colours.

I mentioned that these are medium sized vessels (Being 12 meters high from ground to top of sphere). I also plan to make really small ones about the height of a man and huge ones 2-3 times larger than these ones here- so you can imagine how freaky they'll look as they loom all around you in some dark Industrial Area of the map. I have in mind to create some areas that have nothing but these structures, so in effect you're surrounded by these strange spheres everywhere you look- it'd make for a unique environment I think! :)

Again, variations on all of these will play a large part in removing repetitiveness- I have some sketches down for how to chop and change these up and increase the alien feeling of them. ;)

Anyway, I hope you guys like them and here's a shot of them in game, just sitting there and waiting for the next unfortunate soul:

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/INGAME_13.png

Also, as I am currently bogged down with RL work, I can't bite off another large structure right now so made a couple of VERY quick wallpapers of the NOVA ZONA logo with a few captions to capture the islands atmosphere:

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/NOVA%20ZONA%20LOGO%20TEST.png

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/NOVA%20ZONA%20LOGO%20CALM.png

The captions lend a hint to the islands Industrial and Experimental background that went so horribly wrong- there is a back story to NOVA ZONA and I've fleshed it out quite a bit more, but you'll have to wait until release to find out for yourselves. Suffice to say it's not pretty and the island itself will tell the story if you can piece it all together...

As a final treat and because it's been so long since the last update I decided to make my first EVER Youtube video (Yahhh!) showing some of the structures I've already got in game and working. There is a lot you'll have to excuse about this video though- firstly I haven't the foggiest idea about best settings when recording (FRAPS) or uploading, so I don't think it's the best quality but maybe someone can PM me with some advice for future ref?

Also, as mentioned in the description this is a VERY BASIC setup that took me 1 minute to create in the Editor. I just picked a random place, then threw in these NOVA ZONA assets with zero thought and placed OPFOR and BLUFOR on a collision course. If you look closely you'll notice the large Cinder Warehouses are "floating" slightly too- this is a very easy fix. Little incidental things like oil drum/fences/sign posts are ALL still to come and will only add to the immersion and atmosphere...

Ok guys, I hope you liked this update and I'd love to hear any feedback you might have.

It's probably going to be a LONG time again before I get the chance to work on this, but I'll try to find time when I can.

Hey! Great job on the structures and overall tone (weather, landscape, smoke, blueish hue,).. It feels like "the Zone" :) I'm very much looking forward to this!! I for one would like to see more classical weapons but thats just me. Keep it up :D

Nice stuff!

It feels like "the Zone" :) I'm very much looking forward to this!! I for one would like to see more classical weapons but thats just me. Keep it up :D

Don't you worry about that; I'm fairly sure that a lot of modders will be more than happy to work on some kind of Stalker mod for such an awesome map!

Very nice work, meshcarver!

Hi guys,

aye, after the map itself is finished I do plan on creating extra bits and pieces for it- things like Anomalies and such. It's a must that I create things like that to bring NOVA ZONA to life.

Hi guys,

aye, after the map itself is finished I do plan on creating extra bits and pieces for it- things like Anomalies and such. It's a must that I create things like that to bring NOVA ZONA to life.

Do you plan on implementing anomalies placed fix on the map or rather as modules that mission-creaters can place themselves? I'd prefer the latter option. (That way anomalies could even be used on other maps or possibly even triggered on certain events, which would be great as well)

Aye mate, the latter option ideally- I'd like it to be like a "set" of modules/placeable entities so that people can make their own missions etc.

Right, I'm off to bed...knackered now..! :)

That...video...oh...WOW!

Nice, nice, NICE! :bounce3:

That AI mod that you said you were using was deliciously vicious. You weren't kidding about them using suppressing fire. Seeing them using it to advance like that was quite a sight to see.

Imagine pairing that up with zorilya's garrisoning/urban patrol script. What would be ideal would be a merger of the two - one set of rules operating more out in the open, and another set of rules that kicks in when one gets within 100 m. of a series of structures.

:yay:

Your mentioning of the "biological" properties that industrial equipment can have - yeah, I really liked that a lot, and there is something "creature like" with those domes and their four, leg-like struts. I wouldn't be afraid to push the exaggeration of such industrial designs further. Nothing too obvious, as that could quickly become unintentionally comical, but, if one were to strategically place pipes so that when seen on a common angle, with the shadows projecting on it "just right," then the creature-ness of the structure could really eat at the player's subconscious. Yes, that would be splendid to have.

That said, it perhaps wouldn't hurt to supply a handful of such structures whose subliminal bestial nature was brought to the forefront on purpose. For example, such locations would be used as warnings to potential aggressors, with a crude mouth blown/torched out, glaring spotlights setup as "eyes," and strung up corpses dangling from the creatures "arms." In the city where I live, for decades, we had an elevated blue water tank that had that accursed 1970's yellow smiley face painted in an enormous fashion on its side. Deliberately humorous, trying to be, I guess, charming. I can't see a reason why the opposite tract shouldn't be pursued.

I do a lot of driving around for my job, and I frequently go through this old railroad yard, and I noticed these 7-9 m. tall cylinder-like dispensers, with these wide, but long struts. On a certain angle, the width of the support structure disappears, and then they end up looking a lot like a pair of deformed legs with a demented torso above. Between the two "legs," the tapering chute at the bottom of the dispensing tank takes on a rather...um...masculine...uh...personage. Adding to its bizarre menace.

Y'know Marc, I wasn't prone to such icky thoughts till I met you. ;)

In terms of coding: it would be EXTREMELY cool to have locales conquered/held by a faction to automatically have markings appear to declare it so. Within a semi-randomized 20 min. - 1 hour of winning a site, the old graffiti and ragged flags would disappear, to be replaced with the markings of the new owners. Perhaps the speed at which the markings are changed is dependent on the number of proud conquerors who were left alive at the end of the battle. If only one person is left, then the flag changes are of low priority, and would appear one hour later. One of the things that aggravated me with the entire STALKER series was how often I think that I'd be approaching a friendly or neutral site, only to have them open up on me. It was extremely hard to determine a faction's allegiance sometimes due to the difficulties of being able to identify them, but they never had any issues in identifying you. Talk about a very unfair advantage! If that could be avoided in this mod, that would be great. And by "avoiding," I really mean pushing for immersion. One way of making it more fair would be to have friendly AI mistakenly open fire on one another! The greener they are, the more likely that this would occur. Likewise, more seasoned warriors would take more time to try and visually confirm who it is they're seeing, and from an area that provides plenty of concealment.

If the site is unoccupied for an hour or two, the markings and flags would tip over to signify that the areas are now "neutral."

Similar to the buildings who's graffiti/flags change with whomever conquers it, likewise this would happen to a uniform if an AI/player joins a different faction. Markings on their uniforms would give a player during daylight conditions a reasonable chance of confidently knowing if an AI is of one faction or another.

Of course, this all presumes an atmosphere wherein the Rules of The Land clearly require one's allegiance being marked on his/her body. Violating/deceptively exploiting such a sacred rule, and getting caught, would lead to a most gruesome and fatal punishment universally practiced by all factions to reinforce just how loathsome such a transgression is. If this reads like a push on my part to avoid DayZ's constant state of ambiguity, then you're picking up on my "vibe" accurately. I strongly believe that having an ambiguous environment is not a wise move for a single-player environment, as the advantage will almost always go to the AI, unless, of course, my above recommendations to tweaking their mindset (is that guy friendly or foe?) is made a reality.

Module Possibilities: During my contributions to other mods, one thing that has almost always come up is how to supply a variety of design concepts to better meet a range of common player desired wants and needs. For example, some people felt that anomalies should be invisible or nearly so, while others say that their terror is best portrayed in a Sturm und Drang (effects-filled) fashion. Why not setup modules wherein 90% of their contents are the same, and yet allow players to pick an atmospheric approach of their choosing?

One could even cook up an option wherein uniforms and/or locations never have any markings.

No mutants. A few mutants (weak or strong, that is, vanilla zombies or fast 28 Days Later zombies or zombies with elemental abilities, etc.), some mutants, or hordes of them.

Normal time cycle. Sped up time cycle. Slow weather changes, vs. rapid ones.

Lots of ammo, with opponents carrying believable amounts of gear/supplies, vs. one of very rare ammo and a pittance of edible food.

Etc., etc.

Alright, time for me to get back to work. Looking forward to whatever else you have in store!

Edited by Kyle_K_ski

I have a great idea for you:

Stop all work on it now. Upload that bad boy now as is so we can play it.

In the meantime, between now and MANW entry compition deadline, you can enter your mod that will have one massive update from work you've done on it.

Will surprise people to the max AND you've got a chance to win some gold.

I have a great idea for you:

Stop all work on it now. Upload that bad boy now as is so we can play it.

In the meantime, between now and MANW entry compition deadline, you can enter your mod that will have one massive update from work you've done on it.

Will surprise people to the max AND you've got a chance to win some gold.

this ^ :)

Hi guys,

sorry it's been awhile again..RL!

@ Kyle_K_ski;

My brother from another mother is back..! :)

How are you doing kyle? I seriously don't know where to start with a reply to yet another epic post mate...damn..! I won't go into specific replies as the sheer time needed would wipe me out lol, but THANK YOU and all is noted, especially the MODULES part. I plan on trying to go down that route as it is, but you've really got some good ideas down there man. You are still reading my mind it seems...

I really want to do the anomalies for NOVA ZONA in a way which is unique- I have some ideas scrawled down already and sketches to go with them and have also come up with names too which helps fire the imagination no end. It's these little things that I'm really looking forwards to creating but first the bloody big task of actually MAKING the island itself lol..!

Also, I'm glad I've had an influence on some more icky thoughts to help your imagination for NOVA ZONA, as it can only produce more inspiration from you! :)

Really though Kyle- it is MASSIVELY appreciated just the sheer amount of effort and time it must take you to come up with these suggestions- I can't thank you enough mate and don't ever leave this thread..!

@Kommiekat and GiorgyGR;

Very kind of you to say but I've nothing to upload in effect..! For that video, I just placed some of my structures into Altis and changed the weather- it was a VERY quick knock up scene with no thought just so I could at last move from just uploading images for you guys to showing some footage as it's been so long.

I am smack bang in the middle of a LOT of RL work, so don't expect any updates soon again guys- there's just no way I could muster the time to enter the competition sadly and in doing so, I fear it MAY take the little bit of focus I have left on NOVA ZONA, at least while I'm RLing it up in the mean time.

I have weekends free for it though, so will try to get in two 15 hour days a week- 9 in the morning until midnight is the most I can humanly do..!

...speaking of which, the weekend starts now..! ;)

Amazing work buddy!

Looking forward to see this integrated in a Sandbox mod RPG style with factions, camps and everything.

Fallout universe could be a nice source of inspiration as well.

I'll keep an eye on your work.

Good luck!