meshcarver

Large S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired Island "NOVA ZONA"

Hi guys and wow, THANK YOU for the great input and suggestions here..! :D

@ RedPheonix- jeez man, no pressure lol... ;)

@Katipo66- Aye mate, I'm of the same thinking, although as far me as me doing them myself, that'd be a LONG way off, and I'd have to get someone else to rig them etc as I'm clueless on the front although I've seen it done hundreds of times before. It's like magic to my little brain lol..!

If new custom characters were introduced, then I'd LOVE it if they still retained the "Gas-masked round eyed hooded look" we all know and love from STALKER... a classic.

@tyl3r99- thanks dude. The map doesn't actually exist yet, it's in my head and on about 250 sheets of A4 paper lol... But, I'm planning on having it Cherno sized, which is I think about 255 kilometres squared. There's no way it'll be Altis sized unless you want to play it when you're 70 years old lol. ;)

@Jordo- Goddamn man..!!! 0_o

There's so much great info and suggestions there man, thank you. I can't comment specifically on everything you mentioned, but just know I have now read it all about three times and agree with 99% of what you have said. The main thing being to start afresh as it were... To just go down the old Stalker route would align it more with what's gone before (Nothing wrong with that at all btw, it's the total inspiration for this after all...) but I really want this to be utterly new and to stand on its own two feet as a unique area with its own atmosphere and feeling.

Again, thanks for your input and it's ALL noted.

@Kyle_K_ski- My brother from another mother..!!! ;)

How's it going man..?!

I'm just about to PM you with more feedback on those secret files we talked about..! ;)

I'm glad you like the latest stuff mate.

Well, here's what is definitely going to be my last update before I go back home to chill for 9 weeks- another atmosphere/touchy feely piece to get across the mood for one of NOVA ZONAs many Industrial areas scattered across the island.

Again, it is to show things like weather/forms/lighting/atmospherics and overall tone, and is not intended to be taken as a literal shot. Although, saying that, just doing these two pictures has given me a lot of ideas and is also helping keep me on the right track design wise- as it's so easy to go off on a tangent otherwise, so I might do some more of these further down the line.

Little details like the reflective dirty water puddles on the ground will be included (If ARMA 3 terrains allow it?) as they add so much to a scene. I know in films they will literally spray water puddles onto road surfaces etc before filming a shot, as it adds so much depth and contrast (Interest) to a shot before filming, so why not use that method here if the engine allows? ;)

Extensive piles of rubbish and debris, huge tall over bearing structures breaking up the skyline, electric pylon wiring and mist patches will all add up to create an atmosphere of dread and foreboding in the right weather conditions so I'll try my best to get those all in and working too.

Anyway, here's the shot- I hope you like it:

NOVA ZONA CONCEPT 02

Worth mentioning is that I got a considerate PM from Ceh who pointed out that my logo for NOVA ZONA is in effect incorrect..!

I think because the "N"s are reversed it seems like Cyrillic, and so is an incorrect spelling unknown totally to me. He is suggesting numerous fixes/advice etc which is completely welcome but if anyone here is also in the know, PLEASE let me know how I could get around this issue, and if it's an issue that is too much of a mistake as to be unacceptable basically. Like saying North America is only 2 miles from Britain or something... but if it's still sort of acceptable, then I'm prepared to swallow it and go ahead with it how it is as I really like the look and feel of the logo- it's exactly what I was trying to achieve.

To my tiny English brain it looks and feels Russian..! ;)

The font has a reversed "N" by default so I took it as correct but it seems to give out the wrong message. :(

Either way, it's great to get this feedback and tell me where I'm going wrong (I have literally 1% understanding of Russian/Ukrainian/Cyrillic!) so I can begin to makes amends...

Alrighty chaps, thanks again for the feedback and support- it's fantastic to know people are out there checking in on this every now and then.

Best,

Marc

Nova Zona in Cyrillic would be Ðова Зона.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

The reversed "N" that's used is actually an I in Cyrillic.

It is this one И.

Hi,

Cheers for the feedback..!

Damn, that's a shame because it sort or reads "HOBA THREE O HA" to us English speakers..!

This is difficult, I really like the reversed N look too..! :(

I should add, I just remembered when I was using google translate and experimenting with fonts etc, I did see that "Hoba 3oha" crop up but it's just not workable really as a nice sounding island name as its read out... :(

Yes.. Nice! one of the best aspects of stalker was those big dirty old Russian industrial complexes with unique buildings and rusted out old tech, would be nice to have a few "hiding places" where you have a bit of an over view of some surrounding area if you know what I mean... Like office on top floor with half wall missing, fire burning in barrel, and oops there you go, a perfect sniping position, a dirty old mattress on the floor, handy ammo box cough! We need places to hole up in the zone :D

I like the logo, I read it how you intended, logos can be anything so just keep it if you like it man, if it's important maybe just incorporate "Hoba 3oha" as a sort off byline to the logo, like smaller and underneath

Have a good break away from the silly screen, I like how this is a real slow burn!

Edited by Katipo66

Marc,

I completely agree with Katipo66 on this point that he makes:

I like the logo, I read it how you intended, logos can be anything so just keep it if you like it man, if it's important maybe just incorporate "Hoba 3oha" as a sort off byline to the logo, like smaller and underneath

The logo is "too good" in English to not use. Don't feel bad that it doesn't work well in another printed tongue - that would be like condemning all of the American senders of packages of donated food, clothing and blankets that were mailed to Germany at the end of WWII with the word "Gift" printed on everything. The devastated German populace was horrified - why were Americans sending them poisoned foods, clothing, etc.? What was little known by the well intentioned donators was that the English word "Gift" in German means "Poison." Now, unless your logo reaches that level of very poor translation, I wouldn't spend another second worrying about it.

USE it my brother! :218:

And perhaps nearby, in a slightly smaller font size, include "Ðова Зона." Who knows, as this endeavor keeps rightfully garnering ever more attention, perhaps someone else who has a better mastery of the printed Cyrillic text could cook something up for you that would be its equivalent both in terms of implied meaning and aesthetic taste design-wise. Go with what you got, and don't feel bad for it. The design's undeniably brilliant for anyone who has a basic understanding of English, chemistry, and all of the very horrific, terrible and apocalyptic bad luck it instantly implies.

Your second concept painting is like the first: stunning.

I "get" what you're trying to achieve with all of the water puddles. When I studied photography, a big "secret" of the food (fresh produce) and flower industries is that they frequently spray a very fine mist of water onto the subjects that they're about to photograph, as it really heightens the details in a captivating way. Believe it or not, it was pretty tricky setting up similar shots. Far too often, way too much water would be applied. Cheap spray bottles are not the way to go with endeavors such as these. :)

Having puddles frequently about could operate in a similar fashion, and what is immediately appealing to me is just how often the player would be forced to question his judgement because the quantity of enemies might seem, however fleetingly, doubled by their reflections appearing in the pooled water. That would be quite unnerving, especially in low light conditions, with the cracking of blinding light from lightning or some other light source (anomalies, broken power lines, etc.). As troublesome as this might seem, they could also be potentially used to help amplify one's ability to detect where the enemy is at. Imagine them hiding behind some sheet metal that's elevated a bit off of the ground. They can't be seen straight on, but look down a bit at the ground, and gaze into the puddle before tossing a well aimed frag or letting off a burst of rounds penetrate the material and into the "hider" on the other side.

Yeah. I like this a lot.

I worry a bit about whether or not the Arma 3 engine could handle such a load, but it's worth trying, especially at areas that are "set pieces" for visceral combat. Let's keep our fingers tightly crossed that it'll all work out as desired. :)

Safe travels to you and yours Marc!

I completely understand the reasoning behind Иova Zoиа, the trends in graphic design and typography are something I've been exposed to in quite a while. I also get how to the 'westerners' it seemse very Russian and all that. I'd like to hear from a few fellow 'easterners' if they share my point of view - when I read the logo, I read Iova Zoia - combining the latin and cyrillic alphabet, and it looks.... wrong. On the other hand, I've been known to be a nitpicking prick when it comes to language, so my view may well be very, very biased.

Regarding possible alternatives - that, indeed, is a tough one without going it the other way - making it illogical for western audience.

Ðова Зона - pure cyrillics, Ð-N(as in Name) in cyrillics corresponds to H(as in Heart) in latin. B in cyr corresponds to V in latin. Completely unreadable by the west :(

Nova Зona - Just the Z in cyrillics, does not correspond to any letter of the latin alphabet, but does to the number three. Doesn't really sound great, I admit.

???? ???? - working on it :)

Damn,

This community is amazing...

I am getting all sorts of input from various sources now, and would like to let people know how much it means to me that they want this done correct and well. :)

Again, Ceh has taken the time to send me these:

http://arma.ceh.rs/novazona.pdf

...which seem like a fantastic compromise to satisfy all camps from a language/typographical point of view.

I really like the FIRST one he came up with, as it leaves the original logo 100% intact, but just adds the correct Cyrillic spelling in brackets underneath which is fine by me..!

This seems to also satisfy my own and other peoples input to leave the logo intact if I'm happy with it- there's just more information added to it so it's a winner all round guys... :)

When I have the chance next to alter the logo, I'll go with that one as it now ticks all the boxes, so thanks Ceh..! :D

There's nothing I consider "nitpicking" about it man- I'm glad to hear from knowledgable sources and will make amends so everyone's happy.

Also Kyle aye, I really want the puddles to be an enhancing feature for NOVA ZONA so will try all sorts of methods for their correct implementation...

If it's not possible to have actual reflections in realtime, then I'll easily settle for reflection maps, as at least theses would still add depth to the overall look and feel...

But yeah, I'd love for you to be able to see your foe just by seeing movement in a reflection of him... :)

Alright, thanks again for all the input chaps... it all means a lot to me.

Marc

nice arts mate, especially the first one, it looks so much stalkerish! Damn, can't imagine how it would look in arma 3 engine, with dynamic clouds rainy weather with fog. I would just c*m my pants seen that i guess! :D

I really like the FIRST one he came up with, as it leaves the original logo 100% intact, but just adds the correct Cyrillic spelling in brackets underneath which is fine by me..!

This seems to also satisfy my own and other peoples input to leave the logo intact if I'm happy with it- there's just more information added to it so it's a winner all round guys... :)

Yes!

That's it.

Good work all. :yay:

@NeuroFunker-

Hey cheers man, aye I really want to push the Stalker look/feel so much with this but to have it on the vast open scale we're used to with ARMA now. All the little things like dynamic weather and horrendous stormy nights etc will really help push that side of it. MUCH futher down the line I plan to learn some scripting (yeah yeah I know... nightmare lol...) so I can modify my own unique weather formations that will be more in line with NOVA ZONAs atmosphere.

@Kyle-

Indeed matey, I've JUST sent Ceh an updated logo based on his fantastic suggestion so if it's a go from him then (Basically checking my efforts at Cyrillic are correct. I'm not sure if it's relevant how the capital and lower case are intermingled..?) I'll update all my images that have the logo on them and reupload before I go back in two days!

btw, i remember in arma 2, you could use some color filters, like PMC campaign had some brighter, contrast colors, some wasteland missions had yellowish color tint, i imagine if thats possible in arma 3 as well, you could achieve stalkerish feel with it. Anyway, have a good rest for the months you go away, and save some energy to work hard on Nova Zone, when you return! ;) Just kidding, can't wait to see your project in the game already! :)

@NeuroFunker-

aye mate, I remember that too, I used to play with them a lot trying to get a great Stalker feel and they were pretty effective as I remember..! I'm looking forwards to a rest, but I'll really miss working on this tbh... it's an absolute passion of mine but I'll fill the time with doodles and scribbles for ideas in my sketch pad... ;)

@Jordo- Indeed, that's basically what Ceh kindly suggested too with diagrams so I've taken him up on it and updated everywhere the logo is showing.

Here's the links again before I go so you can see it with the new Cyrillic:

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/NOVA%20ZONA%20LOGO.png

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/NOVA%20ZONA%20CONCEPT%2001.png

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/NOVA%20ZONA%20CONCEPT%2002.png

I really like this version a lot more too- it adds another layer of detail to the logo and it still very much in line with the Periodic Elements Table look. :)

Thanks to Ceh for your help... appreciated!

Thanks to Ceh for your help... appreciated!

No problem, it really is a privilege to be able to contribute even in the tiniest of ways to this project!

@ NeuroFunker- that's really nice of you to say mate thanks. I'll definitely be doing more of these style/mood concepts when I get back to Bangkok, but for the next 10 weeks will just be trawling through these forums and also putting down any more ideas I have into my new sketchpad!

@ Ceh- I'm pleased I can pay you back by adding your suggestion to the logo mate, the privilege is all mine.

Alright guys,

I needed a bit of fore thought before posting this one, but I thought it's worth mentioning at some point to those that are interested in this project, as I've had so much input, enthusiasm and ideas from you and am extremely grateful for all of it so I feel I need to explain.

Because of my current situation, the development of this island is going to be put on hold. :(

I really do need to get my priorities in order chaps, it's as simple as that.

Nothing has given me greater satisfaction in my personal work than embarking on this NOVA ZONA project, it's a dream job for me and one that I won't drop entirely.

It will just take a lot longer because commitment is needed elsewhere.

Alls I can say is hats off to those that commit to this mod making, as it asks so much of you and by necessity takes up nearly all of your free time- but it is SO rewarding in the long run.

But, priorities are more important and are ultimately the enablers to let the mod happen in the first place!

So, with that being said I'll keep this short and I hope to check in here every now and then with you fellow Stalkers and I'll keep you all posted when my situation changes.

Very sorry about this news guys,

Marc

Edited by meshcarver

meshcarver thats pretty sad news mate, but pretty understandable as well. You are doing this in your free time, and for free as well. I do hope to see you soon, with lots of free time, ideas and motivation as well! :)

Hi NeuroFunker,

Aye mate, I'm completely bloody gutted tbh, but there is no way around this at the moment... I just have to suck it up and get on with RL priorities. :(

As I mentioned, it's only on hold for the foreseeable future so if and when my situation improves I'll make a post here and jump straight back in feet first.

I absolutely LOVE bringing NOVA ZONA to life, so I really am not going to abandon my baby..!!!

Thank you for your enthusiasm anyway man, appreciated as always.

Yeah man, i understand priorities and how this game manages to suck all time away from those priorities, get your house in order and this will look good on the shelf till then :)

Life always comes first! No feel too bad, we've all done it. Get what really matters worked out!

Cheers for the supporting words guys- this is a really difficult thing to do, to try to put it from my mind for the foreseeable future in effect. :(

Once I get back to a place were I can comfortably pick it up again, I will.

It's such a great feeling to be able to create exactly what you have in your head, and to have it anticipated by others is a massive bonus and gives loads of motivation too.

I won't let you down with this, but it will take longer simply because I need to focus on more important areas right now.

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone! :)

I have a question in your project how many open rooms will be in buildings like hospital or office?