meshcarver

Large S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired Island "NOVA ZONA"

Cherno sized area? Altis sized areas is what the cool kids are doing these days! [insert more pressure]

Lol... Errr... I'll stick with Cherno sized I think..! ;)

Marc,

My real life duties just dramatically increased, and I'm steadily pooling together potential pieces for your consideration for children's art to adorn abodes. As soon as I get enough collected, I'll compress them and send them your way. My two kids are very excited at the thought of it all. :D

Hi Kyle,

hehe, that's cool man. I eagerly await your children's drawings and I'll put them in somewhere like a Hospital or a School environment.

I really should get my little nephew and niece to do some pieces too, they'd love it..! :D

Btw, it'll take awhile before I have an object were I can utilise these drawings, so I hope your little ones won't be disappointed if it takes awhile before I can show them anything Kyle..!

Anyway, looking forwards to seeing them mate!

Sorry Admin, double post- could you delete this one please..?

Edited by meshcarver
DOUBLE POST

Lol... Errr... I'll stick with Cherno sized I think..! ;)

Who knows man. Maybe the new BI tools that will be released any second now (Or that's what I hope) will actually be amazing and make the creation of custom terains a lot easier and also make it a ton easier to populate larger areas. I don't expect it, but I'm still hoping for some great tools.

but it is a zombie survival?

You might want to check this mod out. I think there are rumors about a stand alone coming out *cough cough*

but it is a zombie survival?

Lol, this is just a map mate. It is what you want it to be...

Ideally, way way down the line I'd personally love to add elements to bring it more to life, but I fear that's more in the realms of scripting as opposed to creating objects/ models etc...

HOLY SHEET..!!!

I'm loving ALTIS..!!! :D

With the right weather settings (Read; December, 4pm, lightning 100%, fog 25%, wind and gales 100% etc...) I am getting some BEAUTIFUL STALKER ambience..!!!

Absolutely gorgeous- I'd argue it looks better like this then with its default summer time clear blue sky setting lol..!!!

Also, there are some AMAZINGLY huge and cool looking electric pylons @ grid ref 126200, almost the same as another set I was planning to make so I'll create another type now instead. They are great though, and I'll have to ask BI at some point how difficult it was placing the wires, as they look to be a separate object to the pylons themselves as if you look very close on zoom, you can see they don't exactly match up but it's nothing really- you have to go looking for it.

An amazing map BI, THANK YOU..!!! :D

Cheers, I been trying to get right weather settings for Some ambience, will check it out, really looking forward to your island also, it's exciting to think what A3 can offer in the stalker arena.

Back at last from RL..!!!

Ok, this update is for a Petrol Station in the old NOVA ZONA rusted and ruined style, and is inspired by the excellent petrol station in Call Of Pripyat- there is something I love about that buildings shape and silhouette, it's really evocative of times gone by for me.

I've tried to update the design a bit to take it away from the source material, and done some research on Ukraine/Russian petrol stations and I noticed that there used to be quite a lot that had this chequered tile motif along the edges of their walls, so thought that looked pretty striking. I've continued that design inside the building aswell, which you probably can't see from these screenies but there's a two tone wall pattern inside with a chequered section to separate the tones.

Anyway, here's a few shots and you can also see there's some old battered shelving units inside too, to offer concealment and protection incase you get caught with your pants down:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/9927795846/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/9927941243/in/photostream/

I hope you like it guys, and I look forwards to any feedback. :D

Really looking forward to this, love the ghostly industrial theme that STALKER always had to offer.

Hey thanks for your comments guys.

Aye, me to GDSN, I absolutely love the atmosphere STALKER gets across- it's so varied too with the constantly changing weather of TOD. I hope to expand on that theme by including atmospheric conditions specific to different areas of NOVA ZONA, and am planning on having an area somewhere by the epi-center called The Marked Village where all the houses are absolutely gutted and rotted, and the community just disappeared at the time of the Incident.

All the windows now boarded up and generally not a safe or nice place to be- atmospheric conditions there will make it very hard to stay long... ;)

Damn..!

Just found out that an update to ARMA3 has added light shafts that also work indoors..?! :)

This has really got my pecker up so I'll be bearing it in mind for upcoming building creations... I'm really glad about this as it was something I really thought was missing...

I haven't actually seen it yet as I been so bloody busy lol... Saying that, I'll try to get a screenie including them for my next structure ingame.

Great news..!!!

Hi guys,

ok, another update here- this one was a bit quicker to do than the Petrol Station, as it's a much simpler design and layout.

There are some like this in the STALKER game itself, and again I took cues from them (To retain the feeling) and tried to make them a bit more gritty and realistic. I will be doing a fair few variations of this too, as it's fairly low poly and is easy to mix and match to create a lot of differing layouts, even multiple floors too.

So expect to see some desolate huddles made up of these kind of half constructed buildings scattered throughout NOVA ZONA- the idea being that before the "Incident" the island was starting to become fairly prosperous and was a burgeoning thriving community.

Then it all went to hell...

Anyway, here's a shot showing some damaged wall section also so expect to be able to shoot through the gaps etc. And also, now with ARMA 3's new and bloody lovely Volumetric Godrays it should enhance the immersion even more.

Oh and btw- does anyone know if when lightening strikes at night, do you see Godrays then..? With the lightening effects I mean..?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/10063481444

(As always, I really urge you to check out the screenshots via my blog too- for some reason it really hosts a better quality picture. It always ends up looking very "grainy" using Flickr.)

Edited by meshcarver

That look's great. All building you showed us, radiate a overwhelming atmosphere.

This is awesome. :)

Do you want to make some small objects like old computers, furniture and so on ?

Also it would be great so see Underground laboratories, do plan anything like this ?

Edited by chrys45

Hi chrys45,

Thank you for you comments and suggestions man..!

I am really pleased you mentioned that the buildings upto now create an atmosphere - that's exactly one of the main things I'm trying hard to achieve as it'll boost the feeling of dread and grimness even more once they're all situated into NOVA ZONA itself.

And yes, I plan to create a lot of little incidental objects like piping from walls, furniture and old style computers etc once the main body of work is out the way.

I would LOVE to be able to create underground areas too, I really would, but until I get sufficient confirmation that BI supports this with their Terrain process I'll be holding off... I want to do it 100% correct or not at all, as it could be extremely glitchy to the point of game breaking as it is right now. :(

Anyway, I'll have an ingame shot soon of one of the little wooden houses so you can get an idea of the atmosphere I'm going for once more... ;)

Oh, and seeing all the buildings now with the Godrays is fantastic... The light streaming in through the holes in the roof and windows!

STALKER goodness all round!!! :)

You are really talented! Nice to see that. Could become another N°1 mod for me.

Hello again,

hey, thanks for the comments and aye, the rays are looking like the ones in that video you linked (Nice video btw..!), so it's getting there..!

I think things like have rays flash up at night in a thunder storm would be the icing on the cake for me, that and better torch lighting casting shadows and rays too but I don't think that's going to happen!

just wondering, maybe you have heard of Misery 2 mod for stalker CoP, maybe you cn get few interresting ideas, athmosphere impressions from there, really awesome mod.

Neurofunker,

Yes mate I have, I know someone from that modteam too!

It's a fantastic looking mod, but because I'm working on NOVA ZONA I haven't really had time to play it!

This looks very promising :) can't wait, I know that this map would make for some great PvP, Best of luck with this as its a massive project and I hope everything goes well for you mate.

Great stuff. When I look at the bowsers/pumps of the fuel station, they seem to be off the same palette as the concrete and the tiles, and I can't help but think there ought to be more obvious white left of the paint/powder-coat. Just a niggle.

@Dale-

thanks very much for saying Dale, appreciated..! It is a huge project aye, and I sometimes feel like I've given birth to a monster lol... ;)

@Grimwald-

hi matey, yeah, I see what you mean man. With all these texture set though, I'm trying to do a second pass on them as I go. The more this project goes on, I find myself edging towards absolute grimness/drabness palette wise so mabe I need to revisit that particular one..!

Do you mean make the paint on the entire pump a bit brighter man..?

And thanks for your feedback..! :)

Hey Mesh,

Just checked out the latest on your DevBlog... Damn, I just can't get over just how awesome these models are! I can't help but get excited thinking about what the end result is going to look like. :D

Curious to know how they look (texture wise) in-game under the A3 lighting... Everything I gaze at in Buldozer looks completely different (horrible) when loaded in-game for me. :P

Keep up the stellar work! :)

- NerdMod