meshcarver

Large S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired Island "NOVA ZONA"

This is really awesome!

I hope you'll implement the Skadovsk and other STALKER related things :D I'd love to ran into Streloks hiding place(s), too! :) :D

Thanks for the pic mate, really helps.

Hopefully in the near future a better tutorial will be released, I followed Mondkalb's tutorial but with 3ds Max (which I'm very confident with), but still no luck. :(

Damn,

back from the real world at last..! :)

Something a bit different this time to whet any Stalker fans appetites out there...

This one's an action shot of a couple of my structures in game to give an idea of the kind of aesthetic and atmosphere I'm after with this project. You can imagine the sirens blaring from these huge towers to signal an oncoming Emission...

Obviously all the foliage and general lay of the land will be completely redone to fit in with Nova Zona too... no sunshine and gorgeous beaches there lol...

I am having a lot of fun modelling different types of Radio Mast (Roughly "Radio Masts", they're basically huge antennae type things that'd you'd find in a wasteland like Nova Zona...), and will be doing about 8 variations in all, as there's some pretty freaky looking ones out there to reference from, and that's always the best place to start from.

You can see it with a little description at my blog:

http://meshcarver.blogspot.com/

Or you can see it from my website:

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/INGAME_05.png

I'd like to thank both Mikero and [EvG] Kiory for their massive help with me setting this object up- I had a lot of annoying problems and their patience was amazing- cheers guys. Also, all the peeps on the modelling channel for their constant input, it really does help! ;)

Oh yes, the only slight retouching was the very top of the lightning strike as I missed it in Splendid Cam, and also there's the slightest vignette around the outside to focus the attention a bit more but that's all.

Everything else in all in game- the lighting in ARMA3 is FANTASTIC!!!

Edited by meshcarver

Looking lovely as ever MC. It's surprising how much a landscapes feel can be changed just by adding some sinister towers and making the weather more 'english'. ;)

I'm 99% sure you will have, but have you seen the new Misery 2.0 mod for C.O.P.? :) Released tomorrow.

Looking forward to something similar in A3. Keep up the great work!

BSW

Hi,

Cheers guys and yes, I'll be giving Misery a play through that's for sure! Amazing looking mod...

Right, back to modelling now!

Very intrigued!

I recently brought S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in the Steam sale (finally) so have yet to complete it, but I like what I've played of it thus far. The Metro series has always reminded me of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Minus the fact that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has one of the most unique atmospheres I've ever experienced.

Survarium seems to be the closest to what a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 would look like. Maybe an ArmA 3 take on it would blow Survarium back to paradise. (no disrespect)

I will follow this closely and wish you the best in achieving such an ambitious project. This is also an opportunity for me to learn a few new things. :)

Wowza, that is incredible! The assets look really good ingame, but how do they look at a distance, or have you not done any LOD work yet?

Hi chaps,

as always, thanks for your comments- it's such a great motivation booster to get ANY feedback!

Yeah, I've done LOD work on a few of the assets and they seem fine tbh- depending on how many LODs you choose to put in visually the ARMA3 engine decides when to swap, so it always looks its best really.

Hi NerdMod, yes, STALKER is a timeless game mate- utterly engrossing and atmospheric. I really hope with this project to create an island that people won't get tired of exploring for ages- I plan to give it some background and history too, both in a back story and also reflected in it's old decayed buildings and structures too as you'll find as you wander around hopefully... ;)

It's always nice seeing screenshots, but I played that set up a few nights back with a few AI and such, and an OPFOR chopper must've had it's pilot shot in the head or something, as suddenly the chopper went into a slow spin and smashed into the side of one of those towers and a tiny AI unit went flying from the platform as the chopper crashed to the ground! Epic moment but I didn't have my FRAPS running lol..!

Well Marc, what can I say? Your work is looking stupendously wonderful, as usual.

What I appreciated the most with the last batch of images is the level of "grungy-creativity" that your putting into the island's cursed residents' conversion of everyday objects so that they're repurposed to their desperate needs. The modified cargo containers are just...wow! I can almost see them being converted by the residents, with the blue sparks flying all about as a friend stands nearby with a bucket of water to put out any wildfires, and a couple of comrades keeping overwatch of the repurposing site.

Is it possible to reserve a portion of the containers so that if it's ever desired, a faction's logo could be crudely spray painted on it? Something that could be coded to automatically appear after the area's been secured by the AI/human players?

I also love how you're already planning on integrating ArmA III technology by having portions of it able to open/close, such as the defensive walls. Nice!

Yeah!

Jot down in your "Ideas" notepad to consider creating the following:

-a few of these converted containers being hauled on transportation trucks. The trucks could be (barely) functional, and/or broken down, with a repurposed container or two almost sliding off of the transport (they weren't secured too well, or were badly shifted when the truck was ambushed or whatever).

-perhaps cut an opening near a corner, so that two containers can be butted up to create an "L" or "V" shaped configuration and this opening would allow the AI to easily move about the joined containers. Who knows, if the inhabitants are really well off, they could link them into a "W" so that a more challenging defensive network could be setup.

-design several areas on the map that show where a bunch of stuff was repurposed. They could show some very basic degree of being organized like an assembly line. Welding gear would abound, as would stripped vehicles, refrigerators, etc. Stacks of already-cut metal would be leaning against posts, and/or stacked on top of carts, etc.

-I really like how frequently you utilize tin roofing - perhaps a crude shelter could be made by digging a hole that's 1.25 m. deep, and arcing over the man-sized hole is a piece of bent tin roofing. Some of these could be camouflaged with dirt and debris thrown on top of the tin - this would also be wise in regards to heat control on a (rare) sunny day - who'd want a shelter that became a hot box?

Keep up the great work Marc. I'm eager to see what else you have up your crafty sleeve.

Hey Kyle..! :D

Damn fine to hear from you mate, and congrats on your little man's birthday! Have a nice camping trip?

Also, well done on the release of MISERY 2:0..! I'm going to install it this week and get lost in the Zone once more... I've been reading amazing things about how immersive and atmospheric it is- can't WAIT!!! :)

Aye, I reckon it's a fairly easy bit of scripting to make it so faction logos could be added, and will do that as the time get nearer.

I really like your suggestion about welding parts of containers together so as to make various forms for more cover- something I'm planning on doing myself but the idea of a "W" shaped one sounds great, very imaginative!

I've got sketches for one that's been turned on its side lengthways with a ladder going up to the top so it's a sort of smaller watcher tower with a tarp across its top and a welded metal plate for cover.

Yes, the tin roofing etc in the ground is another great idea, and we've talked about something similar in the past remember? Sort of one man bolt holes Stalkers can make in the case of being caught out in the open as an Emissions starting. You've put so many ideas out there you're forgetting them mate lol..! ;)

Again, thanks for your ideas and suggestions Kyle- they're always welcome here and help keep my motivation up..!

I'll post another update very soon- a small dirty wooden cabin of the kind you'll see everywhere across Nova Zonas more unpopulated areas...

I just gotta say that I love this thread. So much positive energy!

Hi chaps,

as always, thanks for your comments- it's such a great motivation booster to get ANY feedback!

Yeah, I've done LOD work on a few of the assets and they seem fine tbh- depending on how many LODs you choose to put in visually the ARMA3 engine decides when to swap, so it always looks its best really.

Hi NerdMod, yes, STALKER is a timeless game mate- utterly engrossing and atmospheric. I really hope with this project to create an island that people won't get tired of exploring for ages- I plan to give it some background and history too, both in a back story and also reflected in it's old decayed buildings and structures too as you'll find as you wander around hopefully... ;)

It's always nice seeing screenshots, but I played that set up a few nights back with a few AI and such, and an OPFOR chopper must've had it's pilot shot in the head or something, as suddenly the chopper went into a slow spin and smashed into the side of one of those towers and a tiny AI unit went flying from the platform as the chopper crashed to the ground! Epic moment but I didn't have my FRAPS running lol..!

I like the ArmA 3 island/s for their beauty, but they feel a tad much like paradise to me. They just look too clean and new compared to Chernarus. I know sunny climates tend to look bleached due to prolonged exposure to sunlight, I guess it's just down to personal preference and the fact that I'm so used to damp climates (being British and all). That said, Stratis is quite relaxing to walk around and look at. :D

A STALKER themed island would have me engrossed for eternity (if well optimized and modeled correctly). That said, I have real faith in your work from what I have seen... Truly splendid job on what you have created thus far! I could only dream of being this skilled at creating such detailed models.

Keep up the stellar job mate, and I wish you all the best!

- NerdMod

Hey NerdMod..!

Wow, thanks for your support mate, it's very much appreciated!

This is a great surprise for me to see you've added NOVA ZONA as a project you're looking forwards too, as a few days back when I posted on your thread, I wrote a long rambling post about how amazing it'd be to see your project somehow utilized along with NOVA ZONA in building Stalker shacks and defences etc- all in the style of NOVA ZONA.

Can you imagine how cool that would be..!? :cool:

But, as I didn't want to hijack your thread I deleted it all before I posted it and just left some words of encouragement instead lol..! But yeah, looking at how advanced your project is right now and where it's heading, it'd seem ideal for an island like NOVA ZONA, scavenging bits of wood and metal plating etc to create ragtag bases and huts.

Anyway, you're the one here doing REAL modding work man, I'm merely creating models and textures in effect- what you're doing is an actual "game-changer" NerdMod, so the very best of luck with it..!!!

(And yes, me also being a Brit means I have a fondness in a sick twisted way for dark, damp and atmospheric locations so I hope to do it justice..!) ;)

Hey meshcarver I'm loving your work thus far, it looks amazing!

I have one request that could add a whole new element to your map that would hint at Roadside picnic and tarkovsky's stalker. You should add an area that includes a small amount of countryside that's not yet been corrupted by the ever expanding zone and perhaps a small town that remains inhabited by some civilians, scientists and of course the military who watch over the border.

You could add some of 'the Wall' from Roadside picnic and have area that is watched over by timid military patrols.

It adds a whole host of potential scenarios like sneaking into the zone, beasts from the zone escaping the its confines and attacking the town and many more. I feel that the interaction with the outside world and the zone itself was an aspect that was barely touched upon in the s.t.a.l.k.e.r. Series but was such an integral part of roadside picnic and the film Stalker. It would only need to be a corner of the map but it would enhance the experience immensely.

Hi all..!

Here's that update I've been threatening to post at last! ;)

I've wanted to do a really bleaky creaky freaky looking cabin in true STALKER style for awhile now, but have waited until I found some good photo ref and then got all the pictures together and just took cues from the best bits of them all.

I really like these type of metal plate roofs, which are also used in the STALKER games on some buildings I think, as they allow for a cheap way to do the collision LODs, as they're in effect made up of simple cube geometry- easy to translate to the LODs as I say. They also look really oppressive, and really spooky at night when picking your way through the Zone at night and your flash light glints off them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/9448306423/

I've also noticed on a lot of these kind of houses in Ukraine (Where I'm taking my cues from visually as a guide at least!) they sometimes have a little white metal plate on one of the top corners, I think for house number- so I've added that but put some Ukrainian with the house number, but also a "Sector 7" or other number, so as to give the island a feeling that all the inhabitants were under some sort of registration, militarily or experimentally even before the "Incident" / "інцидент"that created NOVA ZONA...

I'm hoping to expand on that theme very subtly as this goes on, and hopefully it'll come together to create a feeling of oppression across the map as you start putting all these little visual clues together and you can form your own stories from it...

I added the little porch as it'll obviously add to game play, creating more angles etc and because I've always wanted a house in the woods with a porch where I can watch the sunset from, whilst supping from a bottle of Jack and puffing on a pipe and honing a magnificent moustache. ;)

Trying to add to the decayed look of it, I've kept the wood texture the same on the inside as the outside with this one, as I really want to make it so there's so many holes and gaps (Many of which you just can't see with this shot) that no corner of this house feels totally safe from possible sniper fire or the weather of NOVA ZONA.

Anyway, I'd love to hear any ideas you might have about how this is going, or ideas how I can improve on these little structures etc... :cheers:

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

@Jordo..!

Hi man, and thanks very much for your input!

I'm sorry I must've JUST missed your posting it when I posted my update.. anyway:

Yes, I'm planning on making a large area of this map untouched by the blight of the Zone already- I've got some posts further back in the thread somewhere that go into this, and also about a HUGE wall I'm planning to ref from both Roadside Picnic and the STALKER film itself.

That's a "must" imo...

I also have a fair few sketches and doodles in my "ideas" pad of what this wall could look like.

Worth mentioning is I've already done a few BASIC (Read; untextured and primitive models!) ingame tests of different wall structures to see how battles play out around possible wall areas and it's fantastic to see! Think, "cat and mouse". ;)

The wall itself will be structurally massive, oppressive and layered and it should dictate a lot of game play in and around it as there will be many holes and unfinished sections where the authorities abandoned it in mid construction as the Zone relentlessly spread further outwards... So, most villages and towns outside the walls perimeter will be "untouched" by the effects of the Zone, but they will be weathered and decayed still, as no-one is around to upkeep etc.

So all in all, I really want this "wall" to be quite a dominant feature of this map- there will be roads and train lines catered for at main entrance check points into and out of the Zone area, all now abandoned of course.

Edited by meshcarver

Just a random idea that popped into my head whilst i was sucking up all the cool stuff you have posted :D (excellent work by the way)

Just imagine running into your buildings and having the ability to block the door or doorway with a piece of furniture or a large item that is sitting near the door. It could then trigger a script that makes the door take longer to open and play a nice sound snippet of "banging, scratching and screaming" Would give you a few minutes more to compose yourself. reload and either find another way out or defend yourself.

That would scare the hell out of anyone!!!

@ meshcarver and Nerdmod,

You two should have a chat in RL and put both your heads together. I can imagine if you both worked on the same project (in different areas) the actual final project release would be simply amazing.

Just an idea. :D

I just looked at all pictures in your stream and got to say again, besides GSC you are the one who creates the best STALKERish Atmosphere. It's just stunning, keep up like that and I end up naming my first son after you. Or Strelok.

@Jtec-

aye man, that's a pretty cool idea, practical and adds to immersion. If I do implement something like that, then it won't be for awhile as the focus right now is on creating the island- then all the little touches can come! ;)

I'm planning on having a lot of these houses windows with planks of wood etc nailed across some of them too in crude fashion as an additional model, so you could have variation there as I could place them where I see fit.

There's an area I'm planning on creating in NOVA ZONA which for now is called "The Blighted Village", where, at the moment of the "Event/Incident" the entire township was struck by an unknown blight or infestation of unknown origin. This village will be almost entirely deadly to trespass upon because of this. You will need utmost protection to venture in there... especially at night when the effects of this blight are ramped up and it's more difficult to see. The wooden house I've just posted will be the main style of old decrepit building this village will consist of, and it'll have almost all windows and doors boarded up from whatever happened to the luckless inhabitants of the area... it'll be an area cut off and remote from the rest of the island, perhaps with only a single dead end road leading to it... a place to avoid.

@dale404-

hehe cheers man, aye, it'd be great to somehow combine our energies at some point in the future but I'm sure for now as both projects are more or less early stages NerdMod is as centred on his own work as I am on mine mate! ;)

But yeah... would be good nevertheless..!

@Brain-

Lol, fantastic..! :cool:

Thanks very much for the compliment- it really does help modders when they get nice feedback as it lets them know that they're doing something correct in someone's eyes.

Any feedback is good, positive or negative, so anything is welcomed..!!! And I'd advise you call him "Strelok"..!!! ;)

It's often forgotten that Roadside Picnic is set in Canada. :-)

"And right behind him were two blue helmets, hands on holsters. You

couldn't see their eyes, just their jaws working under the helmets. Where in

Canada do they find these guys? Have they been sent out here to breed?"

Quote from the novella.

Liking the models and the very idea of NerdMod's modular construction applied to this setting is exciting.

It's often occurred to me, as implied by others too, that replicating the early scenes of Tarkovsky's Stalker by sneaking past military patrols through a mostly abandoned old brick village in torrential rain would be a tension filled blast. This stuff is still years off for a one-man band, though. Look at how long it took Sumrak to put together Nightstalkers - he started in ARMA One! :eek:

Again for those of you wanting a taste of Stalker-esque stuff in ARMA2 while the pro's put the top-notch stuff together check out my NSMSB (Namalsk Stalker Mini Sand Box) here.

Hi Grimwald,

Yeah mate, it's going to take awhile, but I don't plan on releasing it with a full large campaign at the start. What I'm planning is to release just the map at first, then there will be numerous updates to get it working more fully and iron out bugs.

After all that, then I'll maybe start work on a few missions for it, so hopefully we're not talking several years before people can put boots on the ground in NOVA ZONA! ;)

And yes, I'm planning on having these abandoned military outposts and bases dotted throughout the island, so you'll get your chance to make missions were you have to avoid detection to get in and out of the Zone!